|See also:||Werewolf, Were-Animal, Alpha/Beta/Omega, Mating, Heat fic, bestiality|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Knotting fic can be found in fandoms containing canon characters with animalistic characteristics, or alien biology. The kink can be a part of a Werewolf AU or Shapeshifter/Skinwalker story, or it can be part of bestiality stories. There are also stories that use the kink with people who are otherwise mundane humans.
Nonnies at fail_fandomanon discussed what some people may find appealing about knotting fic:
- "Knots are not my kink, but I think there's an element in this kink that also makes non-con/dub-con popular, which is lack/loss of control. They literally can't separate! They literally can't stop copulating until a physical need is met! That sort of thing." 
- "I like a certain amount of power imbalance in my porn, so I kind of like the "I'm gonna fuck you hard and afterwards you're gonna stay impaled on my cock for a good long while" idea."
(Probably popular in furry circles?)
It is popular in Supernatural and especially Supernatural RPF fandom, to the point that there is a livejournal community, take_the_knot (created 15 March 2011), dedicated to the kink. The current popularity of the trope is attributable to its rise in Supernatural fandom (see below).
On the AO3 archive, the most popular fandoms for knotting as of March 2016 are (in order): Teen Wolf (1679), Supernatural (757), Supernatural RPF (372), One Direction (271), all of MCU combined (260), Sherlock (225), The Avengers (166), Hannibal (97), and Harry Potter (94). These numbers may be partially attributed to the overall popularity, timing, and currency of fandoms. In 2013, popular knotting fandoms included Inception, XMFC, Sherlock, Teen Wolf, and the new Avengers film, which all came out after the rise of knotting in Supernatural. 2014 numbers include Hannibal, which started airing in April 2013, and One Direction, whose fans increasingly adopted AO3 in 2013 although fan activity occurred elsewhere in 2011-2012; activity in XMFC and Inception have slowed. As of 2016, Merlin fandom seems to have died down, while 1D continues full-throttle and the total number of Marvel films and TV shows has increased. Compatibility with the canon is also a factor in knotting's popularity for a given fandom; Harry Potter and Teen Wolf both have werewolves (and in fact HP knotting fic predates the AO3). However, some very popular fandoms have few knotting works on AO3, even if they have canon werewolves (Twilight: 4 out of 4045).
History in Supernatural Fandom
AU - Their world is just like ours...except...in their world there are two types of men. One is the alpha male, the other is the bitch male. Alpha males are like any ordinary guy with the exception of their cocks, they work just like dog cocks (the knot, tons of cum etc) The bitch male, is just an ordinary guy without the special cock.
I'd like to see Alpha male Jared, and Bitch male Jensen. Jensen is a snotty prude (think Lady from lady and the tramp) he may be a bitch male but he's not just going to let anybody take a go at his sweet little ass...until he meets Jared...then prudey little Jensen turns cock slut for Jared. Bonus points for J2 being OTP, Jensen was a virgin before Jared, and now that they met each other, it's for life.
Completely up to you if mating happens just anywhere like in the middle of the sidewalk, in a park etc or on a more private level.
tehdirtiestsock wrote three parts to that prompt called I ain't no lady, but you'd be the tramp (abandoned work in progress). Her author's notes read: "I debated posting this to the comm (as opposed to my journal) but then I figured it appeals more to this audience than anything else, haha. So obviously, warning for um. Unusual but all-parties-human sex. Also, in a world where some men are built to be fucked, I imagine God was also merciful enough to grant them a self-lubing hole. So, you know. It seems like the kind of thing that I should give a heads up about, hahaha. (warning! lubricating rectum ahead!)"
The popularity of her fic started the trend of people requesting more Alpha/Omega/knotting fics and people writing them. This was on the heels of the trend of people requesting and filling RPS bestiality prompts.
Alpha, Beta, Omega Verse
- Main article: Alpha/Beta/Omega
An RPS prompt was posted to Blindfold SPN and to a previous round on a Supernatural kink meme that has three fills. The prompt is very detailed and sets of the rules of the Alternate Reality universe:
There are three types of men, alpha males, beta males, and omega males. Alpha males are like any ordinary guy with the exception of their cocks, they work just like canines (the knot, tons of cum, strong breeders, etc) The beta male, is an ordinary guy without the special cock. Omega males are capable of child bearing and often called bitch males.
Jensen was born an omega but he's never let any guy touch his ass and he never will. When he gets hired for Supernatural and he meets Jared, an alpha male, who he expects to be a jackass. But Jared's just Jared, loud, silly, and adorable. They become great friends and Jensen ends up living with Jared. Life is fine for them until Jared gets engaged to Genevieve and Jensen finds himself unexpectedly jealous and miserable. A slightly drunk Jensen convinces himself he just needs an alpha male around and brings a stranger home. Jared's supposed to be out for the night but he come home and catches them. Jensen figures Jared will just laugh it off but Jared doesn't at all, in fact he get really angry. He kicks the guy out and roughly show's Jensen who he belongs to. Jared's been in love with Jensen for years but always respected Jensen's choice, but if he's suddenly a slut for knot it's going to be Jareds and only his.
+1000000 If Jared intentionally knocks Jensen up and they both like it.
The three fills are Heat by the_miss_lv, No Substitution by pianoforeplay, and Not by tryfanstone. The three stories, particularly No Substitution, expand on the rules set out in the prompt and have spawned an unofficial Alpha/Beta/Omega shared universe that has become popular both on and off the kink memes.
Nearly all of the stories in this 'verse are m/m slash, and they allow for examination of inherent sexuality that is strongly heteronormative and based on popular beliefs about actual canine or lupine sexual and mating behaviour that uses otherwise human characters, but rarely women, in the story.
- H.l.hattai by Lone Wolf - (Gundam Wing, Heero/Duo)
- Pavlov's Bell series by Whiskyrunner - (Inception). Eames is a werewolf and Arthur is somewhat catlike; features mpreg and adorable mutant baby werekittens.
- Works tagged Knotting on the AO3.
- Knotting tag on Delicious, returns mostly fic, but also a few links to macramé instructions.
- Take the Knot An LJ comm for Supernatural knotting fic.
- tying the knot - a list of recs and knotting meta at spn-themes
- Bulbus glandis at Wikipedia (Accessed July 13, 2011)
- tying the knot;reference link.
- Title listing from the Trekiverse archive, showing posting dates. The links to the story are dead, but it can be downloaded as a text file here (Link goes to wayback machine.) Links accessed 26/9/2011.
- Data taken from AO3's Knotting tag on 5 March 2016. The total number of fanworks tagged with Knotting is 5349, approximately twice as many as two years previous. As of 19 July 2014, the total number of fanworks tagged with Knotting was 2608, nearly three times as many as March of the previous year; the most popular fandoms for knotting were Teen Wolf (1016), Supernatural (329), Supernatural RPF (249), Sherlock (146), The Avengers (109), One Direction (103), Harry Potter (59), Merlin (57), and Hannibal (45). As of 31 March 2013, there were 928 knotting fanworks on the AO3; the most popular fandoms for knotting at that time were Teen Wolf (334), Supernatural RPF (144), Supernatural (94), Sherlock (57), The Avengers (46), CW RPF (32), Merlin (31), X-Men: First Class (23), Harry Potter (12), and Inception (11). 2.2% (334 of 14884) of Teen Wolf works were tagged with Knotting, 2.8% (144 of 5177) of Supernatural RPF, the second most popular fandom for knotting. See the fandoms filter on the Knotting page.
- See kitsune's "Dog Fancy" series, started in 2005.
- Twilight as of 31 March 2013.
- A Knotting discussion at Muskrat Jamboree 2013 mentioned that there was no knotting fic in Star Trek Reboot or One Direction. See con reports by aethel and ladyfoxxx.
- kink meme prompt (Accessed September 7, 2011)
- Notes on pianoforeplay's fill (Accessed July 14, 2011)
- Match Made (Accessed July 14, 2011)
- A Fine Job of Bending All the Rules (Accessed July 14, 2011)
- reference link.