|Relationships:||Draco Malfoy (possibly dated)|
|Other:||born c. 1980|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Pansy is a member of the Slytherin House in the same year as Harry Potter. While at Hogwarts, she becomes close friends with Draco Malfoy, and in many ways is shown to be his female counterpart. For example, both are depicted as leaders of their group of Slytherins, and both tend to bully (or at least mock) their peers. Pansy and Draco also become the Slytherin Prefects for their year, and are both members of Umbridge's Inquisitorial Squad during their fifth year.
Throughout the series, Pansy shows devotion to Draco. She is also shown to be fond of baby unicorns, which suggests a softer side to her character.
Though not explicit, it is suggested that Pansy is a blood purist, and she seems to at least nominally support Lord Voldemort -- for example, she is impressed when Draco joins the Death Eaters. Just prior to the Battle of Hogwarts, Pansy was the only person in the Great Hall to speak up in favour of handing Harry over to Voldemort. However, she did not participate on either side during the battle.
Fan Response & Interpretation
- Because Pansy's canon entries are so hole-ridden, she's often given much more in-depth analysis in fanworks.
- Some people feel that making Pansy a sympathetic character is "Slytherin Apologist"
- Movie!Pansy influenced fans' depiction of her with cropped black hair, and she's usually pretty (though the books only describe her as "pug-faced")
Though Draco Malfoy officially winds up marrying Astoria, the Pansy/Draco pairing is usually considered "semi-canonical" because the two attended the Yule Ball together and Pansy has displayed concern for and even tenderness toward Draco throughout the series (which has been interpreted by fans both as an indication of a relationship or as a one-sided crush). Examples of this include her distress after Draco is attacked by Buckbeak in their third year and is a victim of Harry's Sectumsempra curse in sixth year. Additionally, on the Hogwarts Express in the sixth book, Pansy is shown stroking Draco's hair while his head is in her lap, and she expresses concern that he might not come back for a seventh year at Hogwarts.
Apart from Pansy/Draco, Pansy is most commonly shipped with Gryffindors. This is especially true for fanfiction featuring a redeemed!Pansy, but an evil or ambiguous Pansy is also common, especially for angst. Hatesex seems to be more popular with Pansy/Ginny and Pansy/Hermione femslash than with het pairings, though any Pansy/Gryffindor pairing tends to have an enemyshipping dynamic.
Harry/Pansy and Ron/Pansy are two of the most popular Pansy het ships. Harry/Pansy and Ron/Pansy are also common side pairings in stories featuring other Slytherin/Gryffindor relationships, such as Harry/Draco or Draco/Ginny.
It is sometimes speculated that Pansy and the Patil twins knew each other before Hogwarts (in part due to Pansy's use of Parvati's first name in Philosopher's Stone), an idea sometimes used as a basis for Pansy/Parvati, Pansy/Padma, or Pansy/Padma/Parvati ships. Stories pairing Pansy with other Ravenclaws (such as Cho Chang or Luna Lovegood) or Hufflepuffs (such as Ernie Macmillan or Zacharias Smith) are even rarer, but can be found.
Additionally, Pansy is sometimes paired with one of the other Slytherins in her year, such as Blaise Zabini, Millicent Bulstrode, or Theodore Nott. Cross-gen pairings featuring Pansy can also be found, both with Pansy as the younger party (such as when paired with Lucius or Snape) and as the older party (such as when paired with Scorpius or Rose).
- Pink Frilly Robes , a Pansy-centric archive for fanfiction and essays
- Pansy Parkinson: The Archive
- works tagged Pansy Parkinson at FanFiction.net
- works tagged Pansy Parkinson at AO3
- Loved Those of Great Ambition by Maya. It should be a truth universally acknowledged that you never really get over your first love. Draco/Pansy break-up fic. (Prequel to Underwater Light.)
- Let Us Not Talk Falsely by Lyras. Post-war Pansy working with Arthur Weasley (Gen)
- Transfigurations by inkvoices. Post-DH Pansy as Transfigurations Professor. (Gen)
- The Unusual, Exceptional, and Statistically Remarkable Hermione Granger, Age 21 by Maggie. Unusual example of Pansy/Hermione as a loving couple.
- Black Widow by Fourth Rose. Good example of Pansy/Tom Riddle.