|Occupation:||witch, student, (eventual) naturalist|
|Location:|| Hogwarts (Britain)|
Ottery St. Catchpole (Britain)
|Status:||pureblood or half-blood; alive|
|Relationships:|| Rolf Scamander (married)|
Neville Longbottom (possibly dated)
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Luna Lovegood is a character in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series who first appears in Order of the Phoenix. She becomes part of the fan-coined "Silver Trio" with Ginny Weasley and Neville Longbottom, the "secondary" trio to Harry, Ron, and Hermione's "Golden Trio."
Luna is introduced as one of Ginny's classmates when Harry and his friends meet her on the train to Hogwarts. She is depicted as a rather odd person, and is shown to be an outcast who is called "Loony" by her peers. Luna is in Ravenclaw, and is thus assumed to be intelligent, though she is much more whimsical than book-smart like Hermione. She is known to hold strange beliefs and occasionally seems out of touch with reality, though she is shown to be quite capable and clever in her own way.
Fan Response & Interpretation
Fan response to Luna's introduction in Order of the Phoenix was generally very positive. Many fans identify with her and admire her for her independence and bravery. One fan writes:
- Her character just mesmerized me, everything about her was just astonishing; she was so caring even though she got teased by those who didn't understand her, but she never would let it get to her, showing just how strong of a character she was.
In fanfiction, Luna is often featured as a secondary character, often serving as a plot device that helps two other characters get together. Stories that feature Luna as a main character often deal with experiences as an outcast at Hogwarts or her childhood and the death of her mother.
Essays, Meta, & Discussion
- The Expansion of the Core Trio: Ginny, Neville, and (especially) Luna by mickawber (2004)
- Outsiders in the Harry Potter Series: Luna Lovegood and Severus Snape by kaskait (2006)
Luna is a popular character to ship in all kinds of relationships.
- Tea with the Dark Lord by cranberry_crash. Gen. Luna Lovegood is good at telling stories. (Written for the Femgenficathon, 2007.)
- Six Impossible Things Before Breakfast by delicfcd. Harry/Luna. Being a true (for a given value of 'true') account of events preceding breakfast in a (slightly atypical) day in the lives of Luna Lovegood and Harry Potter. (2005)
- Hermione Granger and the Amazing Outfits of Luna Lovegood by likeadeuce. Hermione/Luna. (Written for the Femslash09 ficathon, 2009.)
- Luna Lovegood, an art/animation by moonchildinthesky
- Why would I cry?, a portrait by a-lise.
- Radish Earrings, a speedpaint by self-ish
- Just a bit Loony, by Shtut
- April - The Month of Luna at Pants to Match - recs by a number of reccers plus links to Luna sites and archives.
- Pre-HBP Luna Lovegood Reclist by ashesofautumn - Luna recs organized by pairing: Gen, Harry/Luna, Ron/Luna, Neville/Luna, Ginny/Luna, Luna/Other.
Resources & Communities
- Loony Lovegood, a defunct Luna archive
- LunaFans.net, a Luna fansite
- Quite Extraordinary, a Luna fanlisting
- Fuck Yeah Luna Lovegood, a Luna Tumblr
- Lunarock, a deviantArt group
- dreamyeyed_luna, a general fan community
- loonylove, a general fan community
- loonynews, a short-lived newsletter community
- luna100, a drabble community
- luna_exchange, a fic and art exchange
- lunalovegoodnow, general community and home to the Luna Fest
- lunatics_asylum, a general fan community
- "J.K. Rowling, A Year in the Life" Documentary. ITV1. 30 December 2007. Via the Harry Potter Lexicon entry on Luna Lovegood. (Accessed 21 October 2010.)
- JKR has flip-flopped about potential Neville/Luna; see the Canonicity section at the Neville/Luna article.
- Quite Extraordinary. About: Why Luna Lovegood? (Accessed 16 December 2011.)