KiScon (Star Trek zine)
|Publisher:||Beyond Dreams Press|
|Date(s):||May 1999, 2001, 2004, 2011, 2012|
|Medium:||print zine (1999-2004), ezine (2011-2012)|
|Fandom:||Star Trek: TOS, K/S|
|External Links:||WayBack Machine link to publisher's page|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Many summaries below are by Gilda F.
The KiScon Zine: 1999 was published May 1999 and has 86 pages. It contains:
- eleven short stories, fourteen poems, one play and no fanart.
- Poetry by S.R. Benjamin, Kathy Stanis, Jo’An, Mary Ellen Fisher, Robin Hood, Jacque Renee
- All except the play submitted as entries to the KiScon 1999 writing contests
- The short stories needed to include one of these three words — duck, trauma, or circumnavigate — and they were required to be no longer than ten pages.
Some of the fiction is archived here.
- Unto Harvest in Fullness of Time by M.E. Carter (With the events on Gamma Hydra IV still fresh in his mind, Kirk joins Spock as he works on repairing a sabotaged observatory.) (nominated for a 1999 STIFfie Award)
- In the Name of Science by Deanna Gray (Kirk accepts to seduce Spock into going along with an experiment.)
- The Contest by K.S. Gossip (Spock finds a scrap of newspaper asking for entries for a short story ʻK/Sʼ contest.)
- Sticky Situation by Mildred Manhill (Spock begins to have the same odd reaction after every time he and Kirk make love.)
- Reality Check by Anna S. Greener (Spock discovers a link between their universe and the ʻK/Sʼ universe.)
- After the Lovin' by Gena Moretti (Unable to transport Spock back to the ship due to interference, Kirk beams down to the planet and discovers Spock singing.)
- Mixed Messages by Carolyn Spencer (After McCoy reattaches Spockʼs brain, Spock begins having problems with random phrases that keeping playing in his head.)
- Boat Bonking by Bersakhi (Kirk and Spock find that making love on a boat isnʼt all itʼs cracked up to be.)
- Love Trek: The K/S Continues by Jatona Walker (Wanting the memories of what they were together, lost during his death and rebirth, Spock asks Kirk to meld with him.)
- Doctor/Patient Privilege by Kathy Stanis (Kirk is desperate enough to bribe McCoy into helping him see more of Spock.)
- To Have and To Hold by Rosemarie Heaton (First place winner: Spock observes an intriguing human across the green swath of a park right before the new captain of the Enterprise is due to assume command. He is instantly attracted to this laughing stranger…)
- Not Spock's Brain, a play by Lezlie Shell (Spock and Kirk explains how the ʻHall of Heroesʼ operates to Sisco, a potential resident.) Another flyer notes: "This play was performed at KiScon 1999 and had the con-goers rolling in the aisles. Kirk and Spock are living in the Slash Hall of Heroes when Spock’s cock is kidnapped! Kirk, determined and desperate, sets out to find it."
- Inquiring Minds Want to Know by Shelley Butler and Jenna Sinclair (Starfleetʼs quartermaster has been receiving some very odd requisitions from the Enterpriseʼs captain.)
Reactions and Reviews: 1999
See reactions and reviews for To Have and To Hold.
See reactions and reviews for Sticky Situation.
See reactions and reviews for In the Name of Science.
See reactions and reviews for Unto Harvest in Fullness of Time.
See reactions and reviews for Not Spock's Brain.
See reactions and reviews for Mixed Messages.
[zine]: The KiScon Zine was great fun. What a wonderful contest and the responses were so original. My favorite was Carolyn Spencer's "Mixed Messages." Her story was so cleverly done. M.E. Carter's "Unto Harvest in Fullness of Time" was also wonderful and fills in a gap in the K/S story line. And "In the Name of Science" by Deanna Gray was "fascinating." 
Issue 1999 Souvenir Contest Zine
The KiScon 1999 Souvenir Contest Zine contains 53 pages. It is a collection of 11 stories and 14 poems, all submitted as entries to the KiScon writing contest. The zine included voting ballots.
- 15 short, short stories, 11 poems, one play
- Cover by IM Mueller. No art inside this zine
- Poetry by: Helen, Karla Kelly, S.R. Benjamin, Jacque Renee, Virginia Sky, Jo'An, Robin Hood, Omega, A.T. Bush, Kathy Stanis.
- All except the play submitted as entries to the KiScon 2001 writing contests
- The short stories needed to include one of these three words—treasure, corrosive, limp—and they were required to be no longer than ten pages.
- Interview with a Vulcan by Deanna Gray (Tied for first place in the writing contest. Spock has returned from the dead, and a reporter wants to ask him probing questions about the experience. Is he willing - or even able - to answer her about the deepest secret in his heart?)
- Treasure Hunt by T'Len (Growing bored while on vacation in Hawaii, Kirk wishes for adventure.)
- Fire and Rain by Greywolf the Wanderer (On the 80th anniversary of Kirkʼs death, Spock remembers his bondmate.)
- Breath of Life by kira-nerys
- Ask Me Tomorrow by Islaofhope (Since the fal-tor-pan, Kirk has been unable to truly understand his bondmate, but heʼs still surprised by Spockʼs behavior after his return from a mission.)
- Twilight by Katherine Cooke (Kirk looks for Spock, who he has been apart from for three years.)
- Bet by J S Cavalcante (McCoy notices that Kirk is limping slightly and insists that Spock tell him how Kirk acquired the injury.)
- The Power of the Mind by Michael Easton (Spock decides to go on a retreat to heal.)
- Mirror Mirror Mirror by A.T. Bush (M/U: Spock takes Kirk along to a male sex club.)
- The Love Song of Lt. Commander Spock by The Enigmatic Big Miss Sunbeam (Spock wonders how to approach Kirk in order to initiate a second sexual encounter between them while they wait out the Enterpriseʼs return in a cave.)
- The Date by Menolly (Kirk is getting nowhere in his pursuit of Spock until McCoy advises him to try the Vulcan way, rather than the human one.)
- Test of Faith by Menolly (While at Gol, Spock remembers his final night on the Enterprise.)
- Talking by Mildred Manhill (Kirk doesnʼt understand why Spock is pulling away from him.)
- The Green Machine by Mildred Manhill (While on their honeymoon, Kirk and Spock have currency problems.)
- Duet for One Voice by Carolyn Spencer (Tied for first place in the writing contest. On the last day of the Enterprise's five year mission, McCoy learns how the captain and first officer said good-bye.)
- Cinderspock by Jenna Hilary Sinclair (An irreverent K/S musical parody based on the "fairy" tale Cinderella.)
Reactions and Reviews: 2001
See reactions and reviews for Duet for One Voice.
See reactions and reviews for Test of Faith.
See reactions and reviews for Bet.
See reactions and reviews for Fire and Rain.
See reactions and reviews for The Love Song of Lt. Commander Spock.
See reactions and reviews for Mirror Mirror Mirror.
See reactions and reviews for Interview with a Vulcan.
See reactions and reviews for The Date.
See reactions and reviews for The Green Machine.
See reactions and reviews for Ask Me Tomorrow.
Issue 2001 Souvenir Contest Zine
The KiScon 2001 Souvenir Contest Zine contains 74 pages. It is a collection of 15 stories and 13 poems, all submitted as entries to the KiScon writing contest. The zine included voting ballots.
The KiScon Zine: 2004 was published May 2004 and has 99 pages. Excerpts from some of the fiction are archived here.
To prevent bias, the authors were left off of the stories.
- 15 short stories, 7 poems, one play
- Cover by IM Mueller; no interior art
- Poetry by Robin Hood, T’Guess, Helen, Carolyn Spencer
- All except the play submitted as entries to the KiScon 2004 writing contests
- The short stories needed to include one of three words—toy, bucolic, or cutthroat—and they were required to be no longer than ten pages long
- Toys for the Boys by Anne Elliot (Kirk is dismayed to discover that Starfleet has authorized the production of action figures in his and Spockʼs images.)
- Shared Secret by Erin Tooley (Out of duty, Kirk and Spock resist the love they share.)
- Interlude in the Piney Woods by A.T. Bush (Kirk and Spock try to find time away from McCoy while camping.)
- Kirk's Toy by Jesmihr (Kirk hides and waits for an opportunity to free Spock from his captors)
- The Distraction by Melanie Marshall (Kirk needs something extra until Spock has completed his work))
- Et Tu, Spock? by T’Guess (M/U Kirk is unable to convince Spock to aid him in destroying the Halkans)
- Selections from the Book of the Dead by Lyrastar (Kirk tries to rebuild his and Spockʼs shattered lives after Spockʼs return from the dead.)
- Fever by Lyrastar (A fever of disjointed thoughts.)
- A Little Spice by Farfalla Caqui (While on a diplomatic mission, Spockʼs thoughts are on fulfilling Kirkʼs Valentineʼs Day wish.)
- Shore Leave Epilogue by Brianna Falken (The Shoreleave planet has a slight problem.)
- Eat at Jim's by Mycroft Holmes (Spock propositions Kirk in front of Kirkʼs mother)
- Only for You by Abraxisdragon (M/U: Spock makes the decision to take command of the Enterprise the moment his own captain materializes on the transporter.)
- Linguistics by Farfalla Caqui (Kirk muses after seeing Spock through pon farr)
- Imagine by Kathy Stanis (Spock is instantly taken with the image of his new captain when notified of the change in command by Pike)
- Touch by Carolyn Spencer (Loving on their 25th Anniversary.)
Reactions and Reviews: 2004
See reactions and reviews for Imagine.
See reactions and reviews for Fever.
See reactions and reviews for Kirk's Toy.
See reactions and reviews for Shared Secret.
See reactions and reviews for Toys for the Boys.
See reactions and reviews for Shore Leave Epilogue.
See reactions and reviews for Touch.
See reactions and reviews for Only for You.
See reactions and reviews for Selections from the Book of the Dead.
See reactions and reviews for Interlude in the Piney Woods.
See reactions and reviews for The Distraction.
See reactions and reviews for Eat at Jim's.
See reactions and reviews for A Little Spice.
See reactions and reviews for Linguistics.
See reactions and reviews for Et Tu, Spock?.
The Kiscon 2011 - The Official Zine was released as an ezine and given to convention attendees on CD disks. It contains 171 pages and several color and black and white illustrations and was edited by arminaa.
Table of Contents
- Beginnings by CatalenaMara (TOS). An AU fic inspired very loosely on the Harve Bennett proposal for a Star Trek TV series titled “The Academy Years”, with TOS elements.
- One Quotable Phrase by Allocin (Reboot). Call him selfish in his old age, but when Jim Kirk invites him on a whistle-stop tour of Earth, Spock Prime can't help but say 'yes'.
- A Gentle Nudge by Rhaegal (Reboot/TOS crossover). A transporter malfunction sends Kirk and Spock to an alternate dimension in which their counterparts act very strangely indeed.
- Chances by T’Racionn (TOS). A first time moment.
- Contact by Blackbird Song (TOS). Kirk needs a way to work out mental and emotional stress, but Spock's offer may not always be a good idea.
- Cumulative Evidence by Jaylee (Reboot). Apparently Jim wasn’t as straight as he had previously thought.
- In Sickness and in Health by spirktrekker42 (Reboot). Twelve year-old Spock is sick with the Vulcan flu. Can his best friend Jim help him feel better?
- The Television and the Chocolate by Nola Frame-Gray (TOS). Fannish whimsy which teaches us that where there is television, slash lovers dreaming of chocolate can't be far behind.
- Grasp the Thorn by Ragdoll (Reboot). While accompanying his parents on a routine visit to Earth, a teenaged Spock meets a fascinating young boy named Jim.
- Two Men by T’Racionn (TOS). Two worlds, two men, one future.
- Truth Be Told by lyricoloratura (Reboot). When they took their host’s truth serum, neither Jim nor Spock had considered what kind of “truth” they might reveal to one another – and themselves.
- Babel by Seperis (Reboot)
- "T’hy’la Ashayam" by Alicia Amade
- "Come, Beloved, and Play With Me" by T’Racionn
- "Marked 1" & "Marked 2" by Princess of Swords
- "Spork" by AJA
- "Submission" by Alicia Amade
- "AU reboot" by matsutakedo
- "Young Love" by arminaa
- "Command Me, Master Me, Love Me" by T’Racionn
A small selection of artwork from the zine is reposted here with the artist's permission
Reactions and Reviews
See reactions and reviews for Beginnings.
Issue 2012zine and given to every convention attendee in their goodie bag. It contains 96 pages that include a number of color illustrations and was edited by arminaa.
Table of Contents
- A Dance in Shadow and Silence by Eimeo (TOS). A shuttle crash leaves Spock, Sulu and Chekov adrift on a deserted ocean world. As Chekov fights for his life and Sulu tries desperately to save him, Spock reflects on the strong bond that exists between the two men and starts to wonder what it is he’s really afraid of in his friendship with Kirk…
- Hydrophilia by Beederiffic (Reboot). Jim and Spock go on vacation, and Jim's determined to get a less than enthusiastic Spock wet.
- Yet Both in Pain by T’Lara (TOS). Tragic events require special measures: like melding with James T. Kirk, the epitome of Human illogic and challenge to the Vulcan mind. But what begins as a search for information, becomes a trip into an unknown land of desperate beauty.
- The Devil’s in the Detail by Amanda Warrington (Reboot). Commander Spock is called to Ambassador Sarek’s office. Things go downhill from there.
- Symphonic Storm by Corcalamus (Reboot). When Spock uncharacteristically cancels a date, Jim knows there's something wrong with Spock, and he's determined to find out what's going on.
- You Held My Hand by Blackbird Song (TOS). Kirk still can't sleep more than two days after he's back in his own body.
- Crumble Into Dust by SORAL179 (TOS). Golfics usually assume that it was some kind of falling out or misunderstanding between Kirk and Spock, but they forget that it was a triumvirate. What if it was McCoy who sent Spock to Gol?
- Let Us Move On, Step Out Boldly by Jaylee (Reboot). “So here they were, their first bridge shift over, locked together in Jim’s new ready room, meeting for the first time, one‐on‐one, as Captain and First Officer for real, and not because of a field promotion and an extremely unfortunate chain of events, participating in a staring contest.”
- Devil’s Bargain by Rhaegal (TOS). Spock’s impending pon farr makes him wary of agreeing to a second five‐year mission, so Kirk agrees to lend a hand (so to speak) should the situation arise. What could possibly go wrong?
- Spock Takes a Holiday by Dracavia (Reboot). Jim wanted to take Spock somewhere special for their first vacation together, somewhere just a bit unusual. The problem was, shore‐leave is on Earth, and while Spock might not be a native, he has gotten around a bit.
- Reflections by Angel Grace (TOS). Spock reflects on what certain colors mean to him.
- Cover Art by cannedebonbon
- “Fangirl Wishes” by fprintmoon
- Illustration for “Yet Both in Pain” by ShirAmber
- “Through Time and Space” by Romanse
- "Submission" by Alicia Amade
- “My Prisoner and Mine Alone” by T’Racionn
The Kiscon 2013 - The Official Zine was released as a perfect bound full color printed zine and given to every convention attendee in their goodie bag as well as to non-attending supporters. It contains 80 pages that include a number of color illustrations and was edited by arminaa. Cover art by cannedebonbon
- Old News by Dovya Blacque (TOS)
- A Pool Filled with Stars by BlackbirdSong (TOS)
- Just a Four Letter Word by llostone (Reboot)
- Haiku #2 by CatalenaMara (Poetry)
- Always on My Mind by G-Skywalker (art)
- Don't Die by plude (art)
- Kirk by bersakhi (art)
- Art by Bolkonsky (art)
- Silk by bersakhi (TOS)
- The Spock and Kirk Drabbles by CJ Masters (Reboot)
- Choices by Carolyn Spencer (Poetry)
- Shore Leave by Ritsuko (TOS)
- The Perfect Gift by MuseDePandora (TOS)
- Touched by arminaa (art)
- After Amok by akablonded (art)
- Kiss Me on the Lips by G-Skywalker (art) 
- On the Bridge by bersakhi (art)
- Trick and Treat by T'Lara (Limerick)
- When it Changed by Starshadow (TOS)
- On with the Show by Jatona P. Walker (TOS)
- Come On, Come On by Ritsuko (Reboot)
- Poetry by Rebecca Lemell (Poetry)
- We Learn by Doing by lahjnhr (TOS)
- In Synch by Elfqueen (art)
- Space Husbands by spockshair (art)
- This Simple Feeling by arminaa (art)
- Pon Farr by G-Skywalker (art)
- Tantrum by Jatona P. Walker (TOS)
- Poetry Collaboration by triplexpoint and T'Yian (Poetry).
- Emotional Behavior by Deanna Gray (TOS)
- The Creator by museattack (TOS and Reboot)
Reactions and Reviews: 2013
See reactions and reviews for Emotional Behavior.