His Dark Materials
|Name:||His Dark Materials|
|Date(s):||1995-2000, 2007 (movie)|
|Medium:||book series, movie|
|Country of Origin:||UK|
|External Links:||wikipedia, author's site|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
His Dark Materials is a fantasy trilogy by Philip Pullman. The trilogy consists of The Golden Compass (1995; published in the UK as Northern Lights), The Subtle Knife (1997), and The Amber Spyglass (2000). There are currently two companion novellas: Lyra's Oxford (2003) and Once Upon A Time In The North (2008). A movie adaptation of the first book was released in theatres in late 2007.
Lyra Belacqua lives in an alternate Oxford University, where every human has a dæmon, i.e. a physical manifestation of the soul in the form of a talking animal. While children's dæmons are changeable, the animal form settles during adolescence, a signal of maturity and symbol of the human's personality. Lyra gets involved in hijinks with her dæmon Pan, flees the scary Mrs. Coulter (and her golden monkey dæmon) and ends up on a trek into the northern wilderness among armored bears and secret authoritarian experimenters. Lyra charges into a gap between universes, and meets Will Parry, a boy from our world, who is fleeing his own problems. Together they embark on a many-worlds adventure involving angels, ghosts, witches, magical tools, people who look like bicycles, and the sapience of the universe. Ultimately the children become embroiled in a war against Heaven.
The title of the trilogy is a quote from Paradise Lost, and in addition to its function as story, the series may be taken as a rebuke to Milton and a refusal of the parameters of Christianity (or possibly all organized religions). Aspects of the series are also intended to counter-point Lewis's Narnia books.
Fanfic for the series itself is uncommon enough that it is a perennial source for Yuletide. Most fic for the series is set post-Series, although some pre- or mid-series also occurs. A popular category at fanfiction.net is post-series reunion fic. In addition, there are several works which seek to expand Lyra's universe. Because of the nature of the series with its universe hopping protagonists, crossovers are not uncommon.
- The Ivory Horn by kaydee falls. A breakout hit from Yuletide which has since been cited by non-fans and academics as an example of the potential of fanwork to reflect on the fandom itself. This fic stars Will Parry, post-series as he enters university.
- Christingle by Raven. A story of Will's first year of university which grapples with the personal implications of his actions in the series on religious belief.
- The Exquisite Barometer by vehemently. Another post-series look at Will, this one has him traveling to America, learning about baseball, and deciding how to live with the abilities he returned with.
- Dinosaurs in the Architecture by lilacsigil. Pre-series fic featuring an OC and her unusual dæmon and what the church and its dogma do about them.
Its other most popular usage is in fusions with other fandoms, usually stories in which characters from other universes have dæmons.
- Dæmonology by trinityofone (SGA). John's dæmon's form reflects self-sabotage. October 2005.
- Animus, Animalia, Familiae by tzzzz (SGA), written for the team challenge on sga_flashfic. To touch another's daemon is to touch another's soul. November 2008
- read me like no one else (we'll make them so jealous) by foxxcub (Bandom). Panic! at the Disco with dæmons. October 2007.
- A Study in Natural Philosophy by mad_maudlin (Merlin). Merlin hides his dæmon. February 2010.
- sings the song without the words by astolat (American Idol). Kris wants Adam to touch his dæmon. April 2010.
- Asteroidea by etothepii (Sherlock). Mycroft has an unusual relationship with his dæmon. September 2010.
- The Kind You Could Sing by foxxcub (Inception). Eames's dæmon does something that upsets Arthur. August 2010.