For the Sentinel zine 852 Prospect see 852 Prospect (Sentinel zine).
|Name:||852 Prospect: The Sentinel Adult Fiction Archive|
|Date(s):||October 1, 1996-present|
|Type:||Adult (Slash and Het)|
http://buckaroo-bonsai-tree.mit.edu/SXF/ (Wayback, 1999)
http://b-b-t.mit.edu/SXF/ (defunct, 1999 or before)
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
852 Prospect is an archive for adult fanfiction based on the TV show The Sentinel. While it accepts both het and slash adult stories, the majority of the stories on the archive are slash, reflecting the fandom. The archive is named for the fictional address where the two main characters of the show live: 852 Prospect Ave., Apt. 307, Cascade, WA 98765, USA.
The original Sentinel Slash Archive, starting in 1996, was manually updated and run by Michelle. In 1997, when the archive had not been updated for over six months and Michelle could not be reached, Merry, Nita and several other fans started an Interim Archive on Tripod using copies they had of the some of the existing stories, adding new stories regularly as they were posted on the Sentinel fiction lists. Nita became the chief archivist shortly after the Interim Archive was created. A server meltdown took the original archive down in 1998 or 1999.
By November 1999, the Interim Archive had moved to a more permanent home on squidge.org. It was renamed 852 Prospect, and became the primary adult archive in the fandom.
852 Prospect started out like all archives of the time: manual. The archivist and her helpers had to add each story by hand, coding all the links on various navigation pages. astolat wrote the first Automated Archive script for 852 Prospect while it was still on Tripod, making it the first automated fanfic archive on the web.
Import to Archive of Our Own
In July 2010, alice ttlg announced on the SXF mailing list that she was looking for an archivist to take over maintaining 852 Prospect. In 2012, she began working with the Open Doors committee of the Organization for Transformative Works to import the archive to the Archive of Our Own.
The import encountered several delays due to performance issues on the Archive of Our Own, but the collection was created in January 2013 to allow 852 Prospect authors to manually import their works if they wished. The rest of the 852 Prospect archive was imported to the Archive of Our Own on May 10, 2013, making it the second classic fic archive to be rescued by being imported into the Archive of Our Own. All story links on the original 852 Prospect archive now redirect to their imported counterparts on the Archive of Our Own (with the exception of stories that have been deleted by their authors).
Some StatsIn 2007, Sentinel fans debated whether their fandom was on the wane. In a post to the Prospect-L mailing list one fan provided some helpful stats about the early years on 852 Prospect archive:
"I'm lucky enough to have some stats on hand from the earlier days of the 852 Prospect archive (as a result of a discussion claiming that this very mailing list was the death-knell of Sentinel fandom, believe it or not!)
Anyway, here's the info I have.....
"The archive was started 10/1/96. From that date to the end of June '97, we have 250 stories archived. The rest of these numbers run from July 1 to June 30 of the years mentioned.
- 1997-98 - 251 stories
- 1998-99 - 1272 stories
- 1999-00 - 979 stories
- 2000-01 - 773 stories
(The surge in 1998-99 is a result of the automated posting interface allowing people to catch up on previously-unarchived stories.)"So yeah, there were a lot more stories being written in the heyday of Sentinel fandom."
Other stats (supplied by the Prospect-L admin in 2007):
- 2002 - 635 stories
- 2003 - 514 stories
- 2004 - 423 stories
- 2005 - 305 stories
- 2006 - 254 stories
- Link from T'Mar's Slash Page, Wayback: 28 November 1999. (Accessed 18 April 2012)
- 852 Prospect Moves In With the AO3, AO3 News post, 8 May 2012. (Accessed 17 May 2012.) Archived September 11, 2014 at the Wayback Machine
- 852 Prospect: Not coming as soon as we thought, OTW News post, 30 August 2012. (Accessed 17 May 2013.) Archived June 15, 2014 at the Wayback Machine
- Open Doors 852 Prospect Delay, OTW News post, 20 November 2012. (Accessed 17 May 2013.) Archived June 15, 2014 at the Wayback Machine
- 852 Prospect - Manual Import FAQ, AO3 News post, 10 January 2013. (Accessed 17 May 2013.) Archived September 1, 2014 at the Wayback Machine
- 852 Prospect Archive collection description on AO3. (Accessed 17 May 2013.)
- 852 Prospect - AO3 Supports our Sentinel, AO3 News post, 12 May 2013. (Accessed 17 May 2013.) Archived August 16, 2014 at the Wayback Machine
- January 24, 2007 post to Prospect-L quoted anonymously with permission. The stats were prepared by the 852 Prospect admin.