|Occupation:||Doctor's companion, Torchwood (parallel world)|
|Title/Rank:||Bad Wolf, Dame Rose of the Powell Estate|
|Location:||Pete's World (parallel world)|
|Relationships:||The Doctor, Mickey Smith, Captain Jack Harkness|
|Other:||Portrayed by Billie Piper.|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Rose Tyler, portrayed by Billie Piper, becomes the Doctor's first companion of the 2005 reboot of Doctor Who. She is the first companion to be the focus of an episode, as 'Rose' follows her rather than the Doctor for much of its length. She is also the first companion to have a family as a significant part of her life, and the first to experience domestic conflict surrounding her travels with the Doctor. Companions since Rose have all followed this model, with some leaving families behind at home while others divide their time between traveling and having a regular life. While she is not the first companion to kiss the Doctor, she is the first is the first companion to canonically consider a romantic relationship with the Doctor; for this reason her character is a source of conflict among fans, and she is often a victim of character bashing.
In Series 1 Rose is established as being 19 years old. This makes her the first contemporary Earth teenager to travel with the Doctor since Dodo Chaplet in 1966.
Rose grew up on the Powell Estate in London. Her father died when she was a baby, leaving her mother Jackie to raise her alone. When the Doctor first meets her, she is working in a retail shop, and dating Mickey Smith, a neighbor she has known all her life. She left school early and doesn't feel she has much to look forward to in life.
Rose is one of only a handful of companions to witness a regeneration.
In her travels with the Doctor, Rose faces classic monsters the Autons, Daleks, and Cybermen. She meets and befriends Sarah Jane Smith, companion to the Third and Fourth Doctors.
In her very first adventure, Rose saves the Doctor with gymnastics, referencing a bronze medal she won in an under-sevens competition. This skill is never mentioned in canon again.
As the Bad Wolf, Rose is briefly able to see all of time and space. What she does with this ability outside of canon - and how much she remembers afterward - are open to fannish speculation.
Left behind in Pete's World, Rose goes to work for Torchwood. Some fans believe that she studied physics and engineering, becoming adept enough to build the dimension cannon that allowed her to return to the Doctor's universe. Many fics explore this period of her life, as well as her life with the half-human Metacrisis Doctor left behind with her later.
For many new fans, Rose was their first companion and took on a special significance. She appears regularly on the first two seasons of the new Doctor Who series, and has several guest appearances in later seasons.
Many fans identify with Rose's regular-girl origins. Plenty of people have unexciting jobs and annoying family members, and dream of running away with the Doctor. Rose has her flaws - for example, she is unkind to Sarah Jane before finally befriending her - and her struggles make her human.
During the time Rose was trapped in Pete's World, she made numerous efforts to contact the Doctor. Evidence of these efforts appeared in S4. Beyond that, little is explained in canon about what she did in that time, leaving it a rich setting for fanworks.
Rose is commonly shipped with some incarnation of the Doctor, usually Nine, Ten, or Ten II (the meta-crisis Tenth Doctor). She has not canonically met other incarnations, but she's shipped with them as well. She is also sometimes paired in crossover fic with other characters played by Tenth Doctor actor David Tennant, such as Alec Hardy of Broadchurch. RPF pairing Piper and Tennant is popular as well.
- Essay explaining that Rose isn't "vain" in 2nd Season
- Essay explaining that Rose was acting characteristically like Rose in Journey’s End
- Doctor Who 50th anniversary: 5 reasons why Rose Tyler is the show's best companion ever
- Doctor Who Theory – Was “The Moment” in Day of the Doctor Actually Bad Wolf?
- The Polar Bears' Golf Club by Doyle -- gen adventure with Ace
- Stardust Girl by riversrunthroughme - She's doing this to him because she loves him - well, some other version of him. The one in the real world - but she's doing this because she loves him. Really. Really, really. He'll understand soon. Just not right now. But he'll understand. Eventually, Rose Tyler will make him understand everything, even this. Words: 9548. Rose/10.5. Dark!fic
- An Ordinary Life in the AU Rose and the Doctor's adventures in Pete's World
- Non-Linear Love Story by bendingsignpost
- The Many Names of Rose Tyler by JustAnotherGhostwriter
- Are you afraid of the big Bad Wolf, Doctor?
- Rose Tyler by Ptolemie
- Bad Wolf by janey-jane
- The Bad Wolf by naturalshocks
- Rose and Nine by Tissine
- Rose Tyler, Bad Wolf by eringarey
- Rose Tyler by taardisblu
- Rose by MoishPain
Archives and Communities
- Rose Tyler works at FFN
- Bad Wolf works at FFN
- Rose Tyler works at AO3
- Bad Wolf works at AO3
- Dimension Hopping Rose works at Tumblr
- rose_lives - Rose Tyler
- billie_love - Billie Piper
- available_very - Rose / Captain Jack Harkness
- better_with_3 - Rose / Jack Harkness / Doctor (any)
- betterwiththree - Rose / Jack Harkness / Doctor (any)
- See Doctor/Rose for pairing communities.