|Name:||River Song (birthname: Melody Pond)|
|Occupation:||Time traveler, professor of archaeology|
|Relationships:||The Doctor (husband), Amy Pond (mother), Rory Williams (father)|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
River Song is a Doctor Who character. She was introduced to the show in 2008, in the two-parter "Silence in the Library"/"Forest of the Dead." In the final episode of the the sixth season of Doctor Who, "The Wedding of River Song," she and the Eleventh Doctor get married. In the "Name of the Doctor", she made a re-appearance after her "death" in "Forest of the Dead".
- Is River a Mary Sue?
- The secret of her birth - reactions (and how this ties into Amy's loss of agency?) Ships sank (River/Amy, Doctor/River/Amy/Rory).
- River's loss of agency? Her entire life revolves around The Doctor. (It would also be great to be able to point to some posts from fans who adore her.)
Promethea Tenk writes:
- River Song comes to the library, and I think it’s significant that this is where we meet her and where her journey ends. She’s a professor, a seeker of knowledge. She has a book of secrets. She knows things the Doctor can’t yet know. She knows him better than he does. She’s smart and she’s smug and in the beginning she’s still seeking, trying to place the Doctor in time, to put together the pieces of the puzzle. By the end she makes the intuitive leap and the puzzle comes together: she sees the shape of time, sees her place in it, and then she dies. Her death, however, is really a transcendence as she is absorbed into the library. Now all-knowing and eternal, I don’t think we can really continue to think about her in human terms--she’s become a symbol. She’s also become a storyteller--*the* storyteller. Maybe she is meant to seem maternal in that final scene, but more importantly she’s the wise woman telling the children (and telling us) the tales that give shape and meaning and redemption to our lives.
- Don't Tell Me Where You've Been (Just Show Me What You Know), a River/Eleven fanvid by Laura Shapiro
- River Song (Doctor Who Wiki)
- River Song, the Moffat, and Myth (analysis/speculation), accessed January 30, 2012