|Synonyms:||LeatherPants!Draco, Leather Pants Draco, Draco in Leather Pants|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
TVTropes has this to say about the term:
- A term in Harry Potter fandom for the most sympathetic Fan Fic portrayals of Draco Malfoy, who is in Canon a low-class villain and admittedly pitiable annoyance. A fanfic series authored/assembled by Cassandra Claire featured Draco as a clever, snarky Anti Hero and had him wear leather pants. While the story was somewhat justified by being from his skewed point of view, the characterization soon became standard Fanon even among people who weren't explicitly Draco fans.
- Interestingly, this happened before Draco's characterization in the books became somewhat pitiable, if not sympathetic. Nevertheless, J.K. Rowling frequently admitted she was bothered that characters like Draco (and Snape) were popular for all the wrong reasons.
Aja describes Fanon Draco thusly:
- Thus fanon!Draco becomes a Draco who is misunderstood, heroic, smart, witty, snarky, and essentially sexy. This Draco dresses well, is often gay, and very often powerfully attractive, a trait embodied in the creation of specific fandom stereotypes such as Leather Trousers!Draco and Veela!Draco.... And fanon!Draco as a variable has undergone several distinct phases of growth and development since he first appeared as an entity with distinct characteristics. In many respects Malfoy in canon is a cipher, a blank page we in fandom have been writing and rewriting for years.
- Immortalized by the famous "Draco Sinister" (by Cassandra Claire), you are witty, sexy, and the typical bad boy girls love. You are paired with Ginny or Hermione, because they remind the author the most of herself. You have sudden special powers that enable you to go along special Voldie-killing missions with Harry and Co. At first you get on everyone's nerves, especially Ron's, but soon everyone learns to love you. Everyone.
Cassandra Claire on LeatherPants!Draco
The characterization, as well as the term LeatherPants!Draco, dates from The Draco Trilogy. A famous scene in Draco Sinister features Draco wearing incredibly tight leather pants. In 2001, Cassandra Claire explained the background of the phenomenon:
- "The Draco in leather thing was originally a joke! A joke! At the very end of the first series, Draco Dormiens, I apologized in my author's note to everyone who had wanted Hermione and Draco together, and said "Well, he's better single anyway, now he can go forth and fight evil on his own, maybe in some kind of leather outfit." I meant nothing particular by it, especially since I wasn't planning a sequel series at the time. Well...the email poured in, and I do mean poured in, I was astonished. People sent me pictures of Draco in leather that they had drawn (I've got a collection now) and almost all the reviews for that story and the next one asked for Draco wearing leather. I don't usually cave so easily, but I have to admit it started to strike me as a funny idea. I'm not nearly as good a planner-aheader as Lori is, I tend to write much more off the cuff, so I must say I've taken about as much time dwelling on how on earth to get Draco into leather pants as I have on any other more significant plot twist."
In 2003, Claire reiterated this history in a post on her LiveJournal:
It was a joke at the time - a joke everyone got - but as the impetus for the joke has faded into the mists of fandom history, so the wave of ignorance has swamped the Land of Fandom and so everyone has assumed that somehow these leather pants are supposed to be serious.
The impetus: Waybackwhen in the day, Harry Potter for Grownups, the main Yahoo mailing list for canon HP discussion, had under a thousand people on it. Almost everyone who wrote and read fanfic in the fandom was on it. One day there was the inevitable discussion: What kind of clothes do the Hogwarts kids wear? We descended to crude jokes on the topic. They were nekkid under their robes. Ron wore skirts. Draco wore leather trousers. Someone said, "Someone ought to put that in a fic." I said, "Hell, I will." I put it in DS. Everyone said, "Ha, funny HP4GU reference." I said, "Ain't it?"
Seasons passed, the earth turned, the movies came out, newbies swamped the fandom, HP4GU turned into a bloated monstrosity, and the joke was long lost in the mists of time. Unfortunately that which is written cannot really be unwritten and leather trousers Draco has become synonymous with fanon Draco in all ways shapes and forms. There is little I can do about this and indeed I regard it with some amusement - it is a meme now, and there is always something vaguely satisfying about spawning a meme, even a stupid one. [...]
I generally get blamed for the existence of fanon Draco. I think this is not entirely accurate and if you ask flourish, she will tell you there were plenty of people who wrote the kind of Draco I do, before I did. Yes, I recognize that there are a lot of things about his tormented soul and his endless wittiness and his preternatural blondness that are kind of silly. But you know what? There's a place for silly in this world. [...] [A] lot of it is ridiculous, but it's ridiculousness done with a lot of love and whether you want to believe it or not, a lot of love for the canon that inspired it. Alison always says that she feels like people don't understand that I love my story just like everyone else loves theirs; because it's so high-profile it almost seems like it belongs to some Meta Fandom and not to me. People assume that I just Don't Give A Shit. Well, I do. I love my story because it's mine and if I could do it all over again, I would still put Draco in those leather trousers. Because I thought it was funny, and you know what? I still do.
- TV Tropes. Draco in Leather Pants. (Accessed April 29, 2009)
- bookshop. Defining Draco Malfoy. Posted to idol_reflection, 2004-11-27. (Accessed April 29, 2009)
- epicyclical on LiveJournal. hmm, I'm fairly sure this quiz was created by someone who hates me, but I like it. 05 April 2002. (Archived 17 June 2002 by the Wayback Machine.)
- velvetrain. "Which Draco Malfoy are YOU?" You are... LeatherPants!Draco. (Accessed 22 April 2013.)
- Cassandra Claire at ParadigmOfUncertainty. Re: Shameless Draco Sinister Plug.... Posted 02 October 2000. (Accessed 08 April 2013.) WebCite.
- Cassandra Claire on LiveJournal. 2 rants. 23 April 2003. (Archived 24 April 2005 by the Wayback Machine [WebCite].)