|Location:||Somewhere in the US|
|Relationships:||Older brother of Sam Winchester, older half brother of Adam Milligan-Winchester, son of Mary and John Winchester, etc.|
|Other:||Played by the actor Jensen Ackles as an adult, by Ridge Canipe as a child, and by Brock Kelly as a teen|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Dean Winchester is one of the two main characters of the long-running TV series, Supernatural. Dean and his younger brother, Sam, hunt demons, werewolves, vampires, and other supernatural creatures all across the country.
Dean strongly values his family (especially Sam) and their safety more than anything else, even going so far as to kill the human host of a demon in order to save Sam's life, as well as selling his own soul to save Sam's life.
- Dean Winchester was born January 24, 1979 in Lawrence, Kansas. When he's not hunting, Dean seems to spend most of his time and energy going through the motions of the sort of adolescent rebellion he couldn't actually afford to have as an adolescent. He wears a leather jacket, roars around the highways in a black muscle car, blasts head-banger music, flirts crudely with every half-way attractive woman he meets, and mouths off to cops and other authority figures. I suspect that the only reason he doesn't ride a motorcycle is that he needs a trunk to keep the guns in.
- A lot of this behavior comes from a conscious rejection of the "normal life" his brother is so anxious to embrace. Dean is well aware that by the standards of conventional society he's trash, a scruffy unemployed drifter whose worldly belongings all fit into the trunk of his car, and he chooses to embrace his outsider, loner status. He cheerfully refers to himself as "a freak" and claims he'd rather kill himself than live in a nice house with a white picket fence, the complete opposite of Sam, who has always openly desired a normal family and life, something that Sam was deprived of since childhood. "I'll take our family over normal any day," Dean says in "Bugs." How much of this is genuine and how much of this is a defense mechanism? Ask ten people in the fandom, and you're likely to get eleven different answers.
Personality wise, Dean is described to be confident, brash, crude, protective, brave, emotional, sensitive, adventurous, obedient, loyal and witty.
Eric Kripke has mentioned that he had modelled Dean off of Star Wars character Han Solo. In the early seasons (from seasons one to two), Dean's character arc involved reuniting with his younger brother Sam after he (Sam) had been at university at Stanford for several years, their seach for their missing father John, and their ongoing hunt for the demon (Azazel) that killed their mother, Mary and Sam's girlfriend, Jessica. Dean's purpose in the first two seasons is protecting and looking out for Sam to make sure that he doesn't succumb to darkness due to the fact that Azazel has big, dark plans for Sam and for the other children who are just like him and possess psychic abilities. At the end of season two, Sam tragically and unexpectedly dies and Dean is extremely devastated. Unable to live or function without Sam, Dean makes a deal with a crossroad demon in order to bring back Sam to life. The deal is Dean getting one year before he must go to Hell. After Sam is brought back to life, Dean successfully finds and kills Azazel with the special gun called The Colt.
Dean's devotion to his family is showcased again and again, including his guilt over his father, John's death in the beginning of the second season, who sold his soul so Dean would live. This culminated in Dean selling his soul to bring Sam back to life at the end of season two and the consequences of that deal that followed afterwards (which included Dean going to Hell and suffering). At the end of season three, Dean dies and ends up going to Hell and becomes a torturer, someone who tortures souls and enjoys it.
During seasons four and five, the breakdown of and attempted repairs to Dean's relationship with Sam were frequently highlighted, and Dean's role, and resentment thereof, in the grand master plan for the world and the Winchester brothers became evidently clear. It is discovered in season five that Dean is the vessel for archangel Michael, Lucifer's older, obedient and dutiful brother. Dean is meant to be the vessel for Michael in order to defeat and destroy or kill Sam (who is the destined vessel for Lucifer/Satan). Dean refuses to do this and refuses to kill Sam, so Dean does not agree to being the vessel for Michael. So, instead, Michael uses Dean's younger half brother Adam instead as his vessel. At the end of season five when Sam jumps into the pit along with dragging Michael/Adam in with him and sacrifices himself to save the world, Dean goes on to live a normal life with Lisa and Ben for a year. Until it is revealed that Sam is alive (but without his soul), Dean leaves his normal life and goes back into the world of hunting with Sam.
In season eight, Dean ends up getting stuck in Purgatory with Castiel and Benny.
In Fanon and Fanworks
Dean is frequently noted for crying prettily, including often shedding a single perfect tear, as evidenced in several picspams. He is often the ultimate woobie in the majority of Supernatural fanworks, and in reviews of especially woobie-riffic fic, he may be referred to as D:ean (sadface D Dean).
Many Supernatural fanfic writers write gen stories with a strong focus on the close, intense, emotional brotherly (but non-sexual/non-romantic) relationship between Sam and Dean.
In regards to top/bottom dynamics (mainly regarding anal sex) within most Supernatural fanfic, Dean is generally portrayed as the bottom/uke, including in both slash and het fic. In Wincest fanfic, the majority of fics and fanfic writers frequently portray Dean as the bottom/submissive/gentle partner and Sam as the top/dominant/aggressive partner. There are many different reasons as to why Dean is frequently portrayed as the submissive/bottom in the overwhelming majority of Supernatural fanfic, but some of the reasons for this could include Dean being given the established role of nurturer, protector and caretaker of people (mostly of Sam since childhood), being the obedient, loyal son who followed his father's orders, Dean frequently shown to be emotionally sensitive, vulnerable and fragile and his submissive, gentle sexual style/canon sex scenes on the show with women.
Dean's most frequent and popular slash pairing in fanworks is with his brother: Sam/Dean, aka Wincest. After the angel Castiel was introduced in season 4 and became a series regular, Dean/Castiel (also known as Destiel) fan works also became rather common.
Dean is also paired with the Impala (see Dean Winchester/Impala pairing page), both in circumstances where Sam was possessing the Impala, and where the car was just the car. Sometimes Dean is paired with both Sam and the Impala. 
Dean is also featured in het fic, with the most frequent pairings consisting of Dean/Jo and Dean/Lisa.
- Dean Winchester page at the Supernatural Wiki
- Protect and Survive, May 2006 essay on Dean Winchester by marinarusalka at Idol Reflection
- Supernatural Fic on Delicious tagged with Dean
- fanfic.net for all Supernatural fic.
- From the essay on Dean by marinarusalka at Idol Reflection
- Such as Dean crying Picspam! by moondropz 12 November 2009, (Accessed 25 April 2011) and 20 Favourite Dean Winchester Faces by bellanut, 12 December 2007, (Accessed 25 April 2011).
- Works tagged Impala/Dean Winchester at AO3.
- Works tagged Impala/Dean Winchester/Sam Winchester at AO3.