|Editor(s):||Janet Hunt & R. Merrill Bollerud|
|Fandom:||Star Trek: TOS|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Computer Playback is a gen Star Trek: TOS anthology published in the UK. It reprints fiction that has previously appeared in other zines.
From the Editorial in the First Issue
At Terracon '77 in Liverpool last year, a number of fans got together and discussed a problem in fandom over here. Specifically the difficulty in getting zines from America to the UK. Due to regulations concerning currency leaving the country, it's very difficult, slow, expensive and frustrating to get issues of US zines across the ocean... No workable ideas came out of those con discussions, but the Existence of Desire was brought to life... The months and ideas came and went and then one one of us came up with a Brilliant Idea. I think it came from getting our copies of Archives, a reprint zine from Yeoman Press... To whit: If we got the stories from the US sent over here, we could reprint them over here, sell them over here, and the money would never leave HM"s shores. Now, in effort to do something just a little bit different in a reprint zine, here is our plan: Each issue of Computer Playback will contain the stories of one US author... We will hope to get out approximately 3 to 4 issues per year and to give you, the reader, the widest possible variety of stories by some of the best US authors in the fandom.
Computer Playback 1 contains fiction by Gerry Downes. It is undated (but published in 1977 or 1978) and contains 59 pages. Art by William R. Peterson (the author's brother), Virginia Jacobsen and Gerry Downes.
- Editorial by R. Merrill Bollerud (2)
- Presenting Gerry Downes: Some Biographical Notes on This Issue's Author (3)
- Full Circle (appeared in Stardate: Unknown #2) (4)
- Two Tickets, Please (appeared in Warped Space #23 and Stardate: Unknown #4) (14)
- He's Your Brother George, Only You Call Him 'Sam' (appeared in Stardate: Unknown #4) (18)
- Paved with Good Intentions (appeared in Stardate: Unknown #3) (38)
Computer Playback 2 was published in 1977. It contains stories by Connie Faddis.
- Editorial by Janet Hunt (2)
- Presenting Connie Faddis (bio) (3)
- The Place of Men-Made-Stone, art by Connie Faddis (from Interphase #3) (4)
- The Third Wheel, art by Faddis (from Interphase #4 and Contact #3 (17)
- The Birthing Place, art by Elizabeth Marshall, from Neutral Zone Outpost #3 and Off the Beaten Trek #3 (24)
- McCoy art by Mike Eason (32)
- Genius Loci, art by Signe Landon from The Other Side of Paradise #2 (33)
- You are Receiving this Zine Because (62)
Reactions and Reviews: Issue 2
See reactions and reviews for The Third Wheel.
Computer Playback 3 was published in 1979.
- The Gathering by Michele Arvizu, art by Roo (reprinted from Berengaria #10) (McCoy returns to Earth on leave, and meets his ex-wife again.) (3)
- Family Affair by Devra Michele Langsam, art by Roo (reprinted from Spockanalia #4) (Tara Cochrane finds herself working with Storm, a Vulcan she knows from experience can be aggravating and exasperating.)
- The Healing Time by Nancy Kippax and Bev Volker, art by Laurie Huff (reprinted from Galactic Discourse #2) (A new Chief Medical officer, McCoy, and old friend of the Captain's, and Spock find that they have nothing in common except a friendship with Kirk, but that bond is the basis for a growing understanding as Kirk fights for his life.)
Reactions and Reviews: Issue 3
See reactions and reviews for The Gathering.
See reactions and reviews for The Healing Time.
Computer Playback 4 was published in 1980.
- Editorial by R. Merrill Bollerud (2)
- A Vulcan Valentine by Marion Zimmer Bradley and Walter H. Breen, art by R. Merrill Bollerud (reprinted from The Other Side of Paradise #2 (3)
- The Decision by Clair Gabriel, art by Christine March (reprinted from Quartet Plus One #1 and Berengaria #3) (5)
- The Immovable Object by Marion Zimmer Bradley, art by Signe Landon (reprinted from The Other Side of Paradise #2) (from Interphase #4: "James Kirk gets his first command with the Enterprise, meeting Spock and the crew, and learning to live with 'command decisions.' This is routine fare, but the brisk pace and the Landon illos keep you interested.") (16)
- Exposure by Sheila Clark, art by R. Merrill Bollerud (reprinted from Mahko Root #1) (48)
- You Are Receiving This Zine Because (56)
Reactions and Reviews: Issue 4
See reactions and reviews for The Decision.
See reactions and reviews for The Immovable Object.
Computer Playback 5 was published in 1981 and is 71 pages long. Art is by Roo, Tim Groome, and Gerry Downes.
- The Captain’s Corporation by Helen Sneddon (reprinted from Enter-comm #2) (The author is a great admirer of JTK, as is the editor, but when this poem was first published some people were upset by it, but it's meant tongue in cheek.) (3)
- Clair de Lune by Connie Faddis (reprinted from The Other Side of Paradise #1, also in Archives #1) (6)
- A Human Touch by Nancy Kippax (reprinted from Galactic Discourse #1) (11) (Kirk sits in vigil at the bedside of a seriously injured McCoy, his thoughts turn back to when he was the patient and first met the doctor.)
- For Auld Lang Syne by Wendy Rockburn (reprinted from Enter-comm #1) (27)
- Trial by Ordeal by Connie Faddis (reprinted from Interphase #2) (37)
- Visit to a Weird Planet by Jean Lorrah and Willard F. Hunt (RPF) (reprinted from Spockanalia #3) (66)
Reactions and Reviews: Issue 5
See reactions and reviews for Trial by Ordeal.
- an announcement of a Star Trek Writers' Workshop, July-2-4th 1982, Wigston Stage Hotel in Leicester, Leslie Fish was a guest, there was a filksing and an art show, attendees limited to 120
- Hero by Teri White (reprinted from The Turbolift Review #1) (a deathfic, warns the editor) (4)
- I Resign, poem by Susan Wyllie (reprinted from Saurian Brandy Digest, unknown issue) (10)
- Through A Glass, Darkly by Teri White (reprinted from The Turbolift Review #1) (12)
- Foreshadowing by Frankie Jemison (reprinted from Paradise) (a deathfic, warns the editor) (18)
- All Things Heal In Time by Ginna LaCroix (reprinted from The Turbolift Review #2, also in Trek Encore #2) (28)
- A Wilderness of Arctic Characteristics by Gerry Downes (reprinted from Stardate: Unknown #4) (50)
- Alternative Intrepid Incident by Anna Walker (reprinted from Archives #2) (56)
- many ads for K/S zines (62)