|Location:||San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA|
|Type:||non-profit, fan con|
|Founder:||Ann T & Dar F|
|URL:||WayBack Archive link to 2000 Friscon FAQ|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
FriscoN was an annual slash multimedia convention held annually in October in the San Francisco Bay Area, CA. It was open to people over the age of 18. As a fan-run convention, it did not have professional guests (writers/actors) and all programming was created by fans for fans. It operated on a non-profit and on an all volunteer basis.
While a 2001 con was planned, it was canceled in January of that year; its organizers explained that the task had just gotten too big to manage, especially long-distance.
Convention programming ran from Friday through Sunday, with two tracks of panels. Other events were:
- Dealers' Room with Orphan Zine Table - open Friday through Sunday. For many years the dealer's room was run by Kathy Resch.
- Art Show - open Friday - Saturday
- Art & Charity Auction - The Art & Charity Auction was held on Sunday morning.
- Music Video Contest - the Music Video Contest was often held on Saturday night.;
- Charity* raffle;
- Flyer Service (where fans could have the convention hand out flyers for fanzines or other conventions);
- Costume Party & Charity Carnival - often held on Friday night.
- Video Room (where fans could watch their favorite TV shows or songvids)
- Murder Mystery Game.
The convention was originally held in South San Francisco but moved out of San Francisco to the East Bay in 1998.From the convention's 2000 FAQ:
The last Friscon was held in 2000 at which point two new conventions sprang up to take its place: Bascon held in November in the San Francisco, CA and Constrict also held in November in Las Vegas, NV. There was some controversy between the organizers of both conventions due to their scheduling their first events so close to each other. Constrict changed the next year to a July date in Las Vegas, Nevada.
"FriscoN was conceived in 1992, when a group of friends decided it was time someone held a slash con in the gayest city in the world, San Francisco. Although none of us had ever organized a convention before, we had many years of con going experience between us, and we all knew what we liked, and disliked, about cons we had attended over the years.
Our first major decision -- after deciding we could pull it off! -- was when to hold the con. It didn't take long for us to realize that if we were going to play off San Francisco, we should take advantage of one of the city's biggest draws: Halloween. This also gave us the opportunity to hold what was to become one of the favorite activities at FriscoN: the annual Costume Contest.
Our first FriscoN, held in October 1993, went very well. So well, in fact, that it encouraged us to continue with the con."
[anyone have any more info??]
- Friscon 1 Vid Show tape - 1993: "This was a compilation tape of the vids played during the vid show that fans could buy after the convention. It was a short tape (they had a lot of trouble with the reproduction they used, so many vidders didn't allow their vids to be put on the final tape.) It had Quantum Leap vids by Cybel Harper and Stacey D. At the end of the tape they had two compilation videos: one, a set of very fast clips from 47 different shows to test your speed and knowledge of TV shows, and the other, a bunch of beautiful m/m moments from shows and movies, broken up into 'The Looks', the 'Touches', the 'Kisses' and the 'Embraces'.
- 1995 - the costume theme was "Outta this World". The dates of the con was the "post-Hallowe'en Weekend" (November 2-4.)
- List of 1996 Art Show and Vid Show Winners, along with a post-con report., there is also an extensive, chatty con report in The K/S Press #4
- List of 1996 Fan Art on display: Miami Vice pieces by Caren Parnes (one of Crockett called "Miami Blue"). Maureen B.' Wiseguy art. Some Pros, Highlander, some K/S, MUNCLE, and Lovett's gorgeous Pros "Green Piece". There were a few X-Files, one of Mulder/Skinner nude--Mulder sort of draped around Skinner's feet.
- WayBack Archive link to the 1997 Friscon Web Page.
- At the 1997 convention, there were only a few men in attendance and a lot of questions about gay sex. This led to Minotaur creating his websites Sex Tips for Slash Writers and the MQA. He also began hosting open forum panels where writers could ask him questions about gay sex. "Okay, I'm in a room full of women, some of whom are *lesbians*, and we're watching my gay porn videos. I feel like I'm in a Sliders episode." -- Minotaur, at Friscon
- A first hand review of the 1997 convention: "Fresh from FrisCon, the private convention for fan writers who enjoy the premise of their two favourite male TV or movie heroes getting into bed together: The location was a smart hotel near San Francisco airport, where staff are more used to professional travellers than Professionals fans... 90 women checked in plus the cousin of one of the con committee and his lover - they went down well, or so it was claimed... At the con party, most turned up wearing this year's theme of cowboys and indians. Winners were the boys, one wearing just a fur skirt and the other a transparent cowboy outfit, his modesty hidden beneath a very tight pair of cycling shorts - yum, yum... The latest slash zines were available in the dealers rooms, and the art show revealed recognisable characters in some very interesting positions together... The music video comp on Sunday had those magic moments set to popular songs... Top new slash show this year was US TV cop series The Sentinel, although Kirk and Spock, Starsky and Hutch, and Bodie and Doyle remain long-time favourites... The con raised over $1600 for a local AIDS charity, with my contribution for some raffle tickets winning me a set of spurs and handcuffs - wonder what I'll do with them?" A more in depth 1997 convention report by Jane Mailander can be found at Friscon/Convention Reports.
- 1998 Convention. An in depth 1998 convention report by Jane Mailander can be found at Friscon/Convention Reports.
- 1998 Art Show & Vid Show Winners:
- Art Show:
- Favorite Illustration: "Running With the Jaguar" by Suzan Lovett (The Sentinel)
- Favorite Portrait: "Have You Hugged Your Guide Today?" by Jean Kluge (The Sentinel)
- Favorite Humorous: "The Truth About Cats and Dogs" by Jane Mailander (The Sentinel)
- Favorite In Show: "Running With the Jaguar" by Suzan Lovett (The Sentinel)
- Vid Show:
- Most Dramatic: Behind Blue Eyes (The Professionals) by Dyevka
- Most Romantic: The One (Multimedia) by Gayle F & Morgan Dawn
- Most Humorous: Let's Call the Whole Thing Off (Babylon 5) by The Central Consortium
- Most Matching Theme: Macho Man (Multimedia) by Mary Comstock
- Overall Favorite: The One (Multimedia) by Gayle F& Morgan Dawn.
- Art Show:
29 vids total were entered. Fandoms represented were: The Professionals, Wiseguy, Star Trek, Sentinel, Forever Knight, The X-Files, Babylon 5, La Femme Nikita, Man From UNCLE, In and Out (the movie), and Nash Bridges. There were also 3 multimedia videos. Taken from Morgan Dawn's personal notes (1998).
- 1999 Convention, the 7th Friscon, was named "Friscon 007: The Spy Who Loved Me(N=n"
- Reviews of the 1999 Convention are here and here. A review of the 2000 convention is here.
- The 1999 vid show was organized by Noel Silva. List of vids shown: "There were 21 vids total. 5 X-files vids from Carol S. and 5 vids by Dementia Ink. 2 anonymous Highlander vids: "Without You" by Harry Nilsson and "Love Hurts" by Nazareth. Mary Comstock offered 5 vids: "Nobody Does It Better", "Catch the Wind" by Donovan, and 'Little Red Riding Hood' by Sam the Sham - all (Pros). Her other two vids were: 'Matchmaker Matchmaker' to ST:TNG and 'Highly Illogical' (sung by Leonard Nimoy) to ST:TOS. Stacey D had 2 Wiseguy vids: "I Can't Help Falling in Love" by UB40 (Vinnie/Frank) and "As Long As You Love Me" by Backstreet Boys (Roger/Vinnie). I asked them to show 2 of my vids that had been shown before - a Starsky & Hutch vid and one set to Loreena McKennitt's music for the movie Titanic." Morgan Dawn, personal notes (1999).
- 2000: A satirical look at how strange fan fun conventions could look to an new attendee who was more used to commercially run conventions. Trekiverse: Rude Person Parodies: Rude Person Goes To Friscon 
- 2000: Members of TSU announced a room party: "On Saturday, October 28 at Friscon, Kaki and I will host the Third Annual TrekSmut University (TSU) Friscon Reunion Party in our room at the Four Points. As always, the party will feature Read Aloud Story Time, when TrekSmut authors read as-yet unposted stories to the assembled company. There will be other activities depending on interest, plus a lot of conversation ranging from raucous to serious. Drinks and snacks will be provided. The fun will probably begin around 8 PM, but we're flexible. (The TSU party at Shoreleave last July broke up around 5 AM.)"
- 2000 Panel List (up to 3 panels for each 30 minute time slot):
- 11:00- Sports Night/Farscape/Harsh Realm.
- 11:30: Houston Knights/Slashing loners/La Femme Nikita.
- 12:00: World War II series/Law & Order/Roswell.
- 12:30: What makes a blockbuster movie?/Season/series finales that make you want to kill/How detailed should sex scenes be?.
- 12:30 Briefing for the Friscon Murder Mystery "Murder Most Toonish".
- 1:00pm: Once A Thief/Creative use of household & hardware products as toys/ Quantum Leap.
- 1:30:Hurt/comfort/Is the internet changing fandom?/Star Trek: Deep Space 9.
- 2:00pm:Is professional gay fic better or worse than fanfic?/Queer As Folk 2: good as first, were you satisfied?/Due South (until 3pm).
- 2:30: Slash and what turns you on/off/Medical accuracy in fanfic.
- 3:00pm: Kindred: The Embraced/Man From UNCLE/Star Wars: The Phantom Menace (until 4pm).
- 3:30: Forever Knight/Oz.
- 4:00pm: Best fannish sites on the World Wide Web/Hercules/Stargate: SG1 (until 5).
- 4:30: Why do gay/bi women enjoy m/m slash?/Wiseguy.
- 5:00pm: Men in slash fandom: Does it change anything?/Star Trek: K/S/Gundam Wing.
- 9:00am: Highlander: Was Endgame the end? (until 10)/Print zines vs. netfic: pros and cons.
- 9:30: Slashing secondary characters.
- 10:00:The Professionals (until 11)/Babylon 5/TiVo demonstration in the Hospitality Suite from 10-11am.
- 10:30: Robin of Sherwood.
- 11:00: Yaoi vs. 'traditional' slash (until 12)/Gladiator/Pros fans: get your picture taken with Doyle's jacket in the Hospitality Suite from 11am-noon.
- 11:30am: Xena.
- 12:00pm: X-Files (until 1)/Blake's 7.
- 12:30pm: X-Men.
- 1:00pm: Buffy & Angel (until 2)/New season shows.
- 1:30pm: Problems unique to following "small" fandoms.
- 2:00: The Sentinel (until 3)/Vampires.
- 2:30: Starsky & Hutch. 3:00pm: Kink (until 4)/West Wing.
- 3:30pm: Star Trek: Voyager.
- 4:00pm: M/M sex panel led by Minotaur (until 5).
- Source: Morgan Dawn, personal notes (1995)."
- Source: Morgan Dawn, personal notes (1996).
- slashfan, NTK Digest (Need to Know Now is a UK digest of events), 1997. (Accessed 30 October 2009)
- reference link
- reference link.
- reference link.
- 'Rude Person Goes To Friscon posted to 'alt.startrek.creative.erotica.moderated'; WebCite.
- TSU Party at Friscon dated October 16, 2000.