A Small Circle of Friends
You may be looking for the Star Wars zine, A Close Circle of Friends.
|Title:||A Small Circle of Friends|
|Publisher:||Neon Rainbow Press|
|Editor(s):||Cinda Gillilan and Jody Norman|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
A Small Circle of Friends is a gen anthology. It is a multi-media "recycling" zine: authors have taken the plot from one TV series and re-told the tale using the characters from another series.
A Small Circle of Friends 1 was published in 1996 and contains 200 pages.
- Spirit Soldiers (by Valerie DeVries) Young Riders. The Indians are on the war-path, and Kid and the other Pony Express riders are caught right in the middle of it. (13)
- Double Play (by Paula Smus) Alias Smith and Jones. Kid Curry's having nightmares, and Hannibal Heyes has a starring role in them. Then the real trouble starts; the dreams are beginning to come true. Based on the Simon & Simon episode Double Play. (18)
- To Protect and Serve (by K Hanna Korossy) Starsky and Hutch. Starsky thinks he's blessed. Hutch thinks he's a mess. Oh, and then there's the angel... (10)
- Two Rode Together (by Debra Hicks) Houston Knights. When two young girls are kidnapped, Lundy goes above and beyond to get them back. The question is, will he survive? (18)
- Vengeance (by Lee Seibert) Houston Knights. LaFiamma is shot, and Lundy becomes a loose cannon. It's a good thing Esteban's there to watch out for the Texan. (11)
- It's a Boss Life (by Renae Ransdorf) Riptide. Murray is blaming himself for Cody's injuries and wishing he'd never become a detective. An old friend is just the person to show him the truth of the situation. (9)
- Who Killed Chuckles the Clown (by Jerry Wilson) Burke's Law. Chuckles the clown is dead and it's going to take an application of Burke's "Law" to find the killer. (3)
- The Real Ghostbusters and the Finger of Doom (by Sheila Schneider) The Real Ghostbusters. When the Ghostbusters find a stone hand they get a lot more than they bargained for – like a trip to another planet. (12)
- Rescue (by Jamie Hector) Counterstrike. Alexander Addington has been kidnapped, but the team has a plan, and the bad guys don't have a prayer. (8) (reprinted in Black Ops #8)
- Black Out (by Birgit Staebler) Due South. When an anonymous tip turns sour, Fraser ends up without his memory and Ray without a clue as to where his friend might be. However, Ray refuses to believe that Fraser's dead. (28).
- Visions (by Sheila Paulson) The Real Ghostbusters. Winston's girlfriend is having visions about Peter's death. Guess what? She's right! (35)
- Fall From Grace (by Donna Pleasants) In the Heat of the Night. Bubba's acting strange, and that puts him in hot water with the chief, which is just fine as far as a lady with a shady past is concerned. (15)
- Village of the Damned (by Gillian Holt) War of the Worlds. When a friend of Harrison's disappears, Blackwood and the other Project members go to investigate. Before long they find themselves up to their asses in aliens, and they're running out of time. (18) (reprinted in Green Floating Weirdness #22)
Reactions and Reviews: Issue 1
[Blackout]: Blackout' is a 28 page story set during the first season. Ben has to prevent the deaths of many diplomats at a funeral. Unfortunately he has lost his memory and only gets it back in pieces - a real race against time! It's well written and worth buying a copy. 
A Small Circle of Friends 2 is a collection of 15 stories and poems and is 183 pages long. It was published in 1997.
- His Brother's Keeper (by Valerie DeVries) Young Riders. Hickok and Kid go out hunting a mountain lion, but everything goes wrong. Now Kid's fighting for his life and Hickok is feeling guilty. (14)
- Blind Pursuit (by Kristi Nelson) Alias Smith and Jones. Hannibal Heyes and Kid Curry end up on a stagecoach bound for trouble. Toss in a little blindness, a little paralysis, a pesky wolf and you have... Fun! (9)
- The Chute (Paula Smus) Alias Smith and Jones. Heyes and Curry are imprisoned underground and forced to fight for their lives. Okay, can do, but the water's spiked, the other prisoners are crazy, and Curry's dying... Okay, that makes things a little more difficult. Based on the Star Trek: Voyager episode The Chute. (18)
- Obligations (by K. Hanna Korossy) Starsky and Hutch. The partners pull security duty for a bunch of union delegates, a rather dull detail until Starsky runs into his brother, a murder, an injured partner, and lots of ghosts from his past. (19)
- Last Dance (by Birgit Staebler) Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea/The Real Ghostbusters. A newly outfitted Seaview discovers a sunken ship. The problem is, the ghost of the ship's captain doesn't want to be found. Who are they gonna call? (25)
- Alex's Insomnia (by Alison Wilson) Walker, Texas Ranger. Alex is having trouble sleeping and turns to a prescription remedy. Walker, Trivette and C.D. have other plans, though. (4)
- Catherine (by Sheila Paulson) The Real Ghostbusters. Peter and Ray are in a nasty car accident that leads to a near-death experience for Stantz. While visiting the "other side" Ray meets a woman who asks for his help, but she can't tell him what the problem is. If the Ghostbusters can't figure it out in time, it might just cost Ray his life after all. (40)
- The Girl on Amtrack #3 (by Kristi Nelson) Due South. Ray and Fraser are assigned as part of a team of law-enforcement officials moving bonds from Chicago to New York. Ray's ambushed and Fraser meets a young woman who might be more dangerous than the crooks hunting them. (14)
- Endurance Test (by Londa Pfeffer) Walker, Texas Ranger. Walker responds to a possible lead and ends up in the cross-hairs of a hitman. Trivette races to save his partner's life, but there are no guarantees. (11)
- Blood Debt (by Jamie Hector) Counterstrike. An old enemy of Addington's targets the industrialist for death. When the team is caught in the crossfire, Stone ends up fighting for his life. (18)
Small Circle of Friends 3 was published in March 1997 and has 154 pages.
- Nameless Here Forevermore (by Valerie DeVries) Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. Dr. Bashir loses a good friend, and that loss changes his mind on a couple of things, including a promise he made to Jake Sisko. (12)
- Poisonous Thoughts (by Kristi Nelson) Star Trek: Voyager. Chakotay's been poisoned, and unless Janeway turns an "innocent" man over for execution, she won't be given the antidote. Stuck between two impossible outcomes only disobeying a direct order is going to save Chakotay's life. (13)
- Caveman Blues (by Sheila Paulson) The Real Ghostbusters. Egon and Ray run an experiment that goes awry, infecting all the Ghostbusters except Peter with a virus that twists them into "cavemen." Can Peter and a team of doctors find a cure in time? (29)
- You Are Now Entering Hell (by Birgit Staebler) Real Ghostbusters. The Ghostbusters are sent to Hell to find a dog – a three-headed dog! (15)
- Detour (by Sheila Paulson) Real Ghostbusters. The Ghostbusters and Ecto-1, along with several other cars, are detoured after a storm, but the second road isn't any safer than the first and disaster strikes, leaving Peter fighting for his life and a killer on the loose. (31)
- Blindsided (by K Hanna Korossy) Starsky and Hutch. When Hutch is blinded in a freak accident, he and Starsky must face some serious decisions about the future. (21)
- The Killing Moon (by Jamie Hector) Counterstrike. Gabrielle is kidnapped and Stone and Peter must race against time to find her before she's sacrificed on an altar of pain and insanity. (14)
- As Plans Go... (by Birgit Staebler) Beast Masters. The plan is laid, but what can go wrong, does go wrong. (7)
Small Circle of Friends 4 was published in 1999 and has 164 pages.
- Needle in a Haystack (by Sheila Paulson) Battlestar Galactica. Apollo is missing and Starbuck races against the clock to find him. (8)
- Non Sequitur (by Paula Smus) Stargate SG-1. Dr. Daniel Jackson wakes up to find himself in an alternative reality – a reality where he never met Teal'c, Carter is dead, and Jack is lost in a bottle. Now, how to find his way home? (18)
- In the Bleak Midwinter (by Sheila Paulson) The Real Ghostbusters. The Ghostbusters are in the New York countryside to bust a troublesome ghost, but Peter's personal problems are also haunting the team. Ray takes off after an argument with Peter, and when the team finds a hole in the ice, and a broken sled, they fear for the worse. (22)
- Guilty Until Proven Innocent (by Valerie DeVries) Stargate SG-1. Daniel has been convicted of murder, and the punishment has already been doled out in the form of an engram that forces the anthroplogist to remember the man's death, over and over. But did Daniel really do it? (15)
- Funhouse (by Sheila Paulson) The Real Ghostbusters. The Ghostbusters are called in to dispel a haunted carnival, but the situation quickly turns deadly when the team is separated and Egon is possessed. (34)
- Brotherly Love (by Kristi Nelson) Quantum Leap. While trying to reunite a wife with her husband, Sam finds himself in the middle of a murder investigation. Can he prove a man is innocent? And is he? (13)
- Honor Thy Father (by K Hanna Korossy) Starsky and Hutch. Hutch's father comes to town to call in a promise his son made. The problem is, to honor that promise Hutch would have to quit the force. (21) (winner of a 2000 FanQ)
- Too Many Plots (by Jerry Wilson) WKRP in Cincinnati. Poor Mr. Carlson, everyone seems to want to sell him a plot. Do they know something he doesn't? (4)
- Everybody Comes Home (by Londa Pfeffer) Soldier of Fortune, Inc.. Matt heads out to sea to honor his missing father's memory, but his pilgrimage turns deadly when he finds himself adrift in the Pacific. The other team members realize something's wrong, but can they find the major in time? (19)
Reactions and Reviews: Issue 4
[Honor Thy Father]: ...it's time to look at the Hutchinson side of the family. John Hutchinson has come to Bay City to visit his son and see just what kind of life he's made. First impressions are often full of misjudgements and this is the case here as well. But when he gives his son a second look, what will he really see? 
Small Circle of Friends 5 was published in 2000 and has 179 pages.
- Drive a Mile in My Torino (by K Hanna Korossy) Starsky and Hutch. Hutch is away, and when a beautiful young woman comes looking for help, Starsky finds himself pretending to be his partner. All is going well, until Hutch comes home early... (24)
- Mummer (by Sheila Paulson) The Real Ghostbusters. A serial killer is on the loose, but the cops and the Ghostbusters don't know that, not yet. What they do know is Peter Venkman's dead. Or is he? (57)
- Furball (by Lorie Schultz) Lost in Space. The crew of the Jupiter 2 need a rest, but they get a lot more than they bargained for when they buy a cute little ball of fur... (67)
- The Pale Horseman (by Fallon Zane) Soldier of Fortune, Inc. Someone is trying to steal a highly contagious strain of the Ebola virus. The team is tasked with stopping the theft. Problem: They arrive too late. Can they stop a disaster before it happens? Reprinted in Watch Your Six #1. (20)
Small Circle of Friends 6 was published in 2000 and has 165 pages.
- Justice (by K Hanna Korossy) Starsky and Hutch. An event from Starsky's past comes back to haunt him, and Hutch can't seem to make his partner believe he wasn't responsible for a man's death... (17)
- A Hot Car (by Sheila Paulson) The Real Ghostbusters. The guys buy Peter a car for his birthday, too bad it's hot! (11)
- The Castro Connection (by Leigh Williams) Walker, Texas Ranger. An old friend of James Trivette returns, asking for the Ranger's help. Then Trivette see his friend die... or did he? (17)
- Vendetta (by Donna Andrews) The Real Ghostbusters. The Ghostbusters end up in a small town with a dark secret. Can they uncover the truth before someone else dies, including one of their own? (19)
- Mountie Times Two (by Sheila Paulson) Due South. Someone is out to discredit Fraser, and Ray's pretty sure he knows who it is. Now, can he convince Benny, and can he finally beat the nightmares that have been plaguing him?(29)
- Against a Wall of Stone (by Sheila Paulson) The Real Ghostbusters. The Ghostbusters decide to see if an occultist really did find a portal to another world in his fireplace. (40)
- Pinky in Space (by M. Lepa) Pinky and the Brain. A series of plots and counter-plots almost gets Pinky and the Brain killed. (18)
Small Circle of Friends 7 was published in 2002 and has 170 pages.
- Containment (by Sheila Paulson) The Real Ghostbusters. A strange orb that Ray brings back to the firehall turns into a real danger for Peter. (37)
- You Call This Shore Leave? (by Kristi Nelson) Star Trek: Voyager. While on shore leave, Paris and B'Elanna end up getting drawn into an assassination plot. (13)
- The Performance (by L.A. Carr) The Real Ghostbusters. When the guys get wind of a surprise inspection from a man who wants to put them out of business, they come up with a fool-proof plan to turn the tables. (15)
- Truman's Place (by K Hanna Korossy) Starsky and Hutch. When a friend of Hutch's dies, Starsky is determined to help him through the grief. But when a killer ends up on their tail, all bets are off. (27) (winner of a 2002 FanQ)
- Crystal Skull (by Sheila Paulson) The Real Ghostbusters. The guys are tasked with "cleaning" a haunted house, but the basement holds more dangers than any of them expected, and now it's up to Peter's dad to save his son's life. (31)
- Extreme Measures (by Becca Koldfurr) Soldier of Fortune, Inc. While on a mission in Bosnia, C.J. is shot. Now, in order to save his life, they might just have to destroy it. Reprinted in Watch Your Six #5. (18)
- Hope Among the Living (by Lessa Warren) Andromeda. Dylan and Tyr find themselves captives in an escape-proof prison. And, to make it harder, they're fighting a device that threatens to drive them mad. Can the rest of the crew find them in time? (20) (nominated for a 2003 FanQ)
A Small Circle of Friends 8 was published in 2003 and has 184 pages
- Honor Bound (by K Hanna Korossy) Starsky and Hutch. A dirty cop makes life difficult for the partners and a rookie. (16)
- A Matter of Timing (by Harmony Miller) Houston Knights. A simple stop for a late night supper turns deadly when Lundy and LaFiamma find themselves caught in the middle of a hit going down. (25)
- Countdown (by Lexi Jordan & Harmony Miller) Swift Justice. It's a race against time when Randall is poisoned and Mac can't seem to find the man responsible. (31)
- If Wishes Were (by Dean Warner) The Real Ghostbusters. Winston's off-handed comment sets into motion events he does not expect. (30)
- A Question of Empathy (by Sheila Paulson) The Real Ghostbusters. The team thinks Peter is dead, but they just can't believe it, and a good thing, too because he really needs their help. (33)
- Bushwhacked Revisited (by Drena Hills) Alias Smith and Jones. What if this Roger Davis episode had been a Pete Duel episode, how might it have been different? Find out! (18)
- The Measure of a Man (by Patricia Grace) Magnificent Seven. The death of a tracker who was helping the Army locate some renegade Indians sets off a chain of events that might just cost the Seven their lives. (35) (also in Magnificent Seven Special Gen Collection)
Reactions and Reviews: Issue 8
It's been a while since I read every story in one of your multi-media zines - there are usually a couple of fandoms I don't know or care for - but I did this one, and it still was too short! Okay, so I sorta skimmed the Swift Justice one, sorta reading it for the S&H backbone. But what a treat it was to read so much fun stuff. The Houston Knights and Swift Justice maybe stayed a little too close to the S&H script than I'd have liked - when it's scene-by-scene and sometimes line-by-line, it's hard to see the other characters in it instead of S&H. But no quarrels with the writing or the characterization. Good rewrites. I just have to keep reminding myself as I read which one's Lundy and which one's LaFiamma! The real Ghostbusters were perfectly placed in the middle of the zine because they sorta anchored it. Sheila always somehow makes those SG-1 stories seem made for RGB - there's always significant differences, of course, but they're totally natural. And hey, when you love the source episode, too, you can't lose. And Dean's piece was based on a Buffy episode I like a lot, too, but made totally RGB's own, also. I don't think I would have thought of half these things - the insane Ray particularly made me shiver - but it all made perfect sense and worked wonderfully. The AS&J I skimmed, too, but that was a cool idea. And the MAG 7 I hadn't even heard of the source show, had to go look it up, but it sure worked for MAG 7. I just read it as an original MAG 7 fic and never felt anything was bent out of shape to fit the universe. Particularly good points for writing a Vin who can get himself out of a fix but still take some comfort from his friends, and what he said about the six of them as to why they're worthy was so nice. 
I really liked this issue. Isn't it funny how Starsky and Hutch is so very rip-able? I liked the Houston Knights and Swift Justice versions of S&H plots. I don't know Swift Justice that well, but since I knew the plot, I read it anyway and enjoyed it. HK is an old friend, so it was very nice to see Joe and Levon again. The S&H based on Alien Nation (now there's a rip I never would have thought of!) was great fun, too. The characterization was great and I liked the angst, too. The two Real Ghostbusters stories were both a lot of fun. I'd be hard-pressed to pick a favorite between the two, but I guess the spooky insane Ray would just inch out the other one. That gave me a chill! I thought the idea of ripping a Roger Davis episode of AS&J and doing it as a Pete Duel episode was inspired! And it really worked, too! Personally, I would have much rather seen the Pete version! The Magnificent Seven story was wonderful fun. And you mean someone else has actually seen Hawkeye? Amazing! The original was really treated well in the recycle. Kudos to the author on this one, my favorite in the issue. 
Small Circle of Friends 9 was published in 2004 and has 166 pages.
- Arsenic and New Leather (by Drena Hills) Alias Smith and Jones. Heyes and the Kid find themselves caught up in murder and mystery. (12)
- Precious Things (by K Hanna Korossy) Starsky and Hutch. Starsky faces some of his own assumptions about life and death, and the nature of each. (22)
- In the Wind (by Lessa Warren) Miami Vice. An airplane trip leaves Rico fighting for his life, and the others wondering if they've been exposed to a deadly virus as well. (28)
- If Wishes Were... (by Fallon Zane) Soldier of Fortune, Inc. A madman grabs Margo, sending Matt and Benny Ray on a desperate hunt for her. (17) (winner of a 2005 FanQ)
- The Crystal Snare (by Sheila Paulson) The Real Ghostbusters. Ray falls under the influence of a crystal that doesn't want to let him go. (40)
- The Lost Ones (by Audrey Lynn) The Real Ghostbusters. Peter and Janine take an unexpected trip, leaving the rest of the team to find them before it's too late! (36)
Reactions and Reviews: Issue 9
My only complaint about ASCoF #9 was, as always, it was too short. Especially when I only skimmed the MV story and skipped the SOF one. But the AS&J was a hoot -- I love that movie and could so see this playing out! And two RGBs were a treat. What is it about Stargate SG-1 that engenders them, I wonder? I thought they were both really well done. Anyway I enjoyed it a great deal. 
Small Circle of Friends 10 was published in 2004 and has 161 pages.
- Serendipity Disguised (by Brate) CSI: Crime Scene Investigation. Nick finds himself caught up in an investigation that turns deadly. (14)
- Out of the Depths (by Sheila Paulson) Stargate SG-1. The team find themselves caught between a civilization and its god, a situation that might just cost them their lives. (23)
- But for the Grace of God (by K Hanna Korossy) Starsky and Hutch. Starsky and Hutch find themselves saddled with a pair of lady detectives who are nothing but trouble. (33)
- Promises to Keep (by Audrey Lynne) The Real Ghostbusters. A bust at an old mansion takes a deadly turn when the team find themselves facing more than they expected. (81)
Reactions and Reviews: Issue 10
I had to tell you how much I enjoyed ASCoF #10. It's not often I love every fandom in the zine, but this one I read cover-to-cover! I'm writing Sheila and Audrey and Brate individually, too, but I wanted to tell you guys that it was a gem. The stories were episode-quality, especially Audrey's, and everyone worked in its new universe. 
A Small Circle of Friends 11 was published in 2005 and is 161 pages long.
- Lost Lirien (by Sheila Paulson) Lord of the Rings. A discovery unleashes a ghost who might just kill Legolas if his friends can't stop it in time. (26)
- The Deep Places of the World (by Sheila Paulson) Stargate SG-1. The team find themselves lost in a complex of underground caverns, and monsters are hiding in the darkness. (32)
- Payback's a Bitch (by Erica Michaels) Magnificent Seven (ATF Denver AU). An assassin is after someone on Team Seven, but they don't know who. (from Magnificent Seven Special Gen Collection) (30)
- The Ticking Clock (by K Hanna Korossy) Starsky and Hutch. When Hutch is hurt while undercover, it's a race to see if they can stop a disaster. (28)
- Unraveling (by Stephanee Frank) Medical Investigation. When Frank is shot, Stephen is left wondering how he could have let this happen, and to find the one responsible. (34)
A Small Circle of Friends 12 was published in 2007 and is 147 pages long.
- M.I.A (by Lee Seibert & Leigh Williams) Medical Investigation. When Stephen sees Frank apparently die, he is shaken to the core, but he still can't quite believe it's true. (17)
- Winner (by K Hanna Korossy) Supernatural. A good-natured game might prove deadly for one of the Winchester brothers. (23)
- Beleaguered (by Sheila Paulson) Lord of the Rings. Pippin finds himself caught up in events outside his control, and now he must become a hero. (35)
- Select Females (by Susan Macdonald) Maverick. Bret finds himself with his hands full when it comes to a particular woman. (16)
- The Little Gentleman (by Susan Macdonald) Magnificent Seven. Buck finds himself trying to help a particularly obnoxious child. (16) (also in Magnificent Seven Special Gen Collection)
- Tight Spot (by Sierra Chaves & Mary Fallon Zane) Magnificent Seven. Chris and Vin have been captured by a man who is a friend of Governor Hopewell. Their only hope of survival is if their friends can find and rescue them in time. (30) (also in Magnificent Seven Special Gen Collection)
A Small Circle of Friends 13 was published in 2007 and is 147 pages long.
- The Pit (by Sheila Paulson) Lord of the Rings. Sam finds himself in a terrible predicament. (34)
- The Other Greystone Brother (by Susan Macdonald) Wizards & Warriors. Prince Justin finds himself in a situation when the border shifts and he is caught on the wrong side. (7)
- A Bad Day at the Office (by Kristi Nelson) NCIS. A tip on a case sends the team into unexpected danger. (13)
- Psychic, See Thyself (by K Hanna Korossy) Supernatural. Sam finds himself caught up in events that aren't quite right. (12)
- Mission of Mercy (by Grace Fortado & Erica Michaels) Magnificent Seven. A mission for the Army turns deadly for Chris, and it's up to Vin and the others to get to him in time. (40) (winner of a 2008 FanQ) (also in Magnificent Seven Special Gen Collection #4)
- Ghosts of the Past (by Dani Martin) Without a Trace. A case from their past intrudes into a current rash of kidnappings. (31) (winner of a 2008 FanQ)
A Small Circle of Friends 14 was published in 2008.
- A Vast and Endless Hatred (by Sheila Paulson) Lord of the Rings. Life for Faramir takes some unexpected twists and turns. (36)
- Gold Fever (by Kristi Nelson) Alias Smith and Jones. Heyes and Curry end up in trouble trying to help find lost treasure. (13)
- Riding Lessons (by Susan Macdonald) Magnificent Seven Old West Little Britches AU. Vin gets a riding lesson. (1)
- When the Bough Breaks (by Susan Macdonald) The Flash. Barry and Tina have to deal with a most unusual baby. (15)
- Pawn to King's Level (by K Hanna Korossy) Supernatural. Sam and Dean find themselves caught in a trap... (18)
- In Between (by K Hanna Korossy) Supernatural. When all else fails, hunt. (20)
- And a Time to Die (by Erica Michaels and Mary Fallon Zane) Magnificent Seven ATF Denver AU. When a current case lands Chris in the hospital the whole team rushes to find the woman responsible before it's too late. (27)
A Small Circle of Friends 15 was published in 2009? 2011?