The Tent Peg Statement
|Event:||The Tent Peg Statement|
|Fandom:||Pern & Anne McCaffrey|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Although McCaffrey has tried to wipe this interview from memory, it has made its way to the internet where it is widely known and mocked even in non-fannish circles. A Google search for the word 'tent peg' in 2010 reveals that a hit for this wank is the eighth result. In June 2011, it turned up third. 
In 2000, post-interview, the rules on dragonriders, and dragon sexuality on Pern were amended to seem less offensive. See Pern's Renewable Airforce (repost). At one point, all Pern fandom games and message boards were required to post a copy of this and obey it, otherwise they would be shut down by McCaffrey's lawyers. Hence copies of it can still be found on Google with ease.
Anne McCaffrey is a Hugo and Nebula award winning author of the Dragonriders of Pern series, among others. Pern has a large fandom which involves dragonriders who must engage in mindless sex when their dragons are in season. With the majority of female dragons on Pern being ridden by males, this means there's a lot of slash potential.
The wank involves a long running fandom debate on whether the green female dragons have the ability to deliberately choose gay males to soulbond, or if the riders of the dragons can be any orientation.
The Actual Quote
A: The situation will arise where two males will enagage in sexual activity. Greenriders, have to be homosexual.
Q: Some fandom Weyrs choose to seperate sexual tendencies and flight related sex experiences...
A: Let me stop you right there, there is no seperation. Two men engaging in sexual activity with one another are gay. The dragons choose based on their own drives.
Q: *audible pause* *sounds of paper rustling* But, uh, some people say one experience, especially under the control of outside forces dosen't really make you *emphasis* gay.
A: It's not a matter of the rider *emphasis* becoming homosexual. Green and blue dragons choose people who are already homosexual. And even if circumstances arose, and a green dragon chose a heterosexual lifemate... Well, he would become homosexual. It's a proven fact that a single anal sex experience causes one to be homosexual. The hormones released by a sexual situation involving the anus being broached, are the same hormones found in large quantities in effeminate homosexual males. For example, when I was much younger I knew a young man who was for all intents and purposes, heterosexual. He was mugged, and involved in a rape situation involving a tent peg. This one event was enough to have him start on a road that eventually led to him becoming effeminate and gay. 
Many members of online Pern fandom find McCaffrey's ideas about sexuality highly questionable for a number of reasons, both scientific and ethical. (Most infamously, she claimed in an interview that science has proven that being the receptive partner in anal sex triggers a hormonal change that will make a previously heterosexual man become homosexual and effeminate. Thus, she argues, even if a male greenrider were originally heterosexual, he would not stay that way.) In later interviews McCaffrey claims that green dragons merely pick up on psychological clues from homosexual boys before they themselves know that they are homosexual. "A green Hatchling is unlikely to be impressed (pun intended) by a heterosexual boy."" 
I seriously doubt the validity of interview in the OP. Anne McCaffrey is supposedly an intelligent person-she created a whole fantasy universe complete with it's own logic and rules. The statements are clearly unintelligent and I can find no other references to them anywhere on the Net. Also the matter of fact approach to gay sex in the books doesn't reflect the attitude of the interview. Given that the Pern series has such a large following I would think that any interviews she has given would be hashed and rehashed on fan sites.
BTW the forum mentioned which is the only place containing any reference to the 'quote' appears to have been abandoned. Page after page in every section of it have become a repository for porn links.
I think the 'quote' is some hocum cooked up by a member of that forum who was after some attention for some unhealthy reason. Maybe it was an attempt to steer a discussion around to anal sex (as a way of getting a cheap thrill) or create an argument/flame war. It might even have been attempt to make him/herself seem more important and in the know on a 'top secret' interview….The quoted scenario to me seems more like something made up by teenagers to scare each other than an interview with an esteemed author. 
I will only cavil to the effect that writing good fiction -- even highly intelligent fiction -- and holding stupid personal beliefs are not (alas) incompatible. 
As I understood it, the interviewer put some pressure on her, and she blurted out a somewhat confused panic response. Still, people tend to blurt what they think… 
I know that this doesn't make it any truer, but I've read this before. On first reading this thread I was sure that it's been an much repeated "fact" in fannish circles for years, but google says no. I don't know what to believe anymore. Maybe I have false memories. 
I’m old enough to remember the damn tent peg thing making the rounds. If you aren’t familiar during an interview asking about sexualities of riders of green dragon riders (male green dragon riders and whatever dragon rider MAN was impressed with the dragon mating said green dragon end up having relations driven by the passion of their dragons….) and a big question arose as to if green dragons picked gay riders, and “what if the green D[r]agon picked a straight rider,” to which she replied, to the effect of “if you have sex with a man once and are straight, even if it’s rape (an actual story about a straight man being raped by a tent peg was inserted here by McCaffrey at this point) you become gay.” So yeah, bisexual and questioning erasure, neither of which I was but so many of my not-out or trying to find their way friends were, and such a horrifying dismissal of their sexuality from one of my favorite childhood authors was devastating. 
- Pern's Renewable Airforce (repost) (2000)
- Fandom Wank: Dragonriders of Pern wank, Archived version (2003)
- Rider's Pride & Sexual Orientation/Discrimination (2007)
- Snopes.com: Anne McCaffrey on anal sex - snopes.com, Archived version (2007)
- Pride and Possession: Magic Flowers, Hair, and Women (and the Kidnappers Who “Love” Them), Archived version (2011)
- When has Anne McCaffrey become answerable to Feminists? - A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum, Archived version (2011)
- What about the tent peg?, Archived version (2014)
- "An idea first put forth in the infamous, but still unverified, "Tent Peg" interview and implied in her on-the-record "Renewable Air Force" interview." -- Television Tropes and Idioms
- Tent Peg Quote on FeministSF.Net, page found 2011-06-12.
- David Peary. Comment in Rider's Pride & Sexual Orientation/Discrimination thread on Gay Authors forum, 12 May 2007. Repost of interview excerpt.
- New Landing Forums on lake-desire.com as referenced by David Peary, contains a comment made on January 22, 2004 by Katiehollands which includes this part of the interview transcript. (Wayback Machine version), accessed April 19, 2011
- "I'll see if I can locate the original interview; I know it was passed around among the Pernmush crew back in the 90s, I don't know if anyone has the direct cite any more. It was a fan interview, IIRC." -- Anne McCaffrey tentpeg hullaballoo [Archive - RPGnet Forums], , comment by tevella
- Anne McCaffrey's 1998 quote is from The Kitchen Table BB, from Wikipedia's article on Pern's Dragons
- 2007 comment by jelly bean queen at Anne McCaffrey on anal sex, Snopes.com; [ WebCite]
- 2007 comment by Silas Sparkhammer at Anne McCaffrey on anal sex, Snopes.com; [ WebCite]
- 2007 comment by Troberg at Anne McCaffrey on anal sex, Snopes.com; [ WebCite]
- 2007 comment by BrokenBiscuit at Anne McCaffrey on anal sex, Snopes.com; [ WebCite]
- [j-j-j-jenny-and-the-cats raisedbyhyenas] at So I’m on AO3 ...(the forgotten history of disclaimers) (2017)
- [blitzdrake] replied to [ladydrace] at So I’m on AO3 ...(the forgotten history of disclaimers) (2017)