|Occupation:||Elf, retainer to Elrond|
|Fandom:||Lord of the Rings (movieverse), The Hobbit (film series)|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Figwit is the epitome of a fan-created character, named for fan reaction to the filmed Fellowship of the Ring Council of Elrond scene:
- F - Frodo
- I - Is
- G - Great!
- W - Who
- I - Is
- T - That?
- When Frodo says "I will take it!", we are so impressed we start to think “Frodo is great!" But before we finish, the camera pans and we see Figwit, smoldering enigmatically in the background. All other thoughts are whisked away by that elf - who is THAT?! He's gorgeous!
Fan reaction was widespread and pleased, and several articles appeared about the phenomenon:
- 'Figwit' steals Frodo's thunder The Guardian UK, December 2002
- 'Lord' of the extras: Elfin charmer nets fans USA Today, December 8, 2002
- Frodo Is Great, Who Is That? documentary at IMDB
- A review of the Figwit documentary
Details emerged that the elf may have been named Aegnor and played by New Zealand actor Bret McKenzie. He was called back for Return of the King, as a little bit of fanservice. Bret also plays the elf Lindir, in The Hobbit (film series).