The Noble Steward's Chronicles
|Title:||The Noble Steward's Chronicles|
|Publisher:||Men of Gondor Forum|
|Medium:||fanzine, print & ezine|
|Fandom:||Lord of the Rings|
|External Links:||Men of Gondor Forum; PDF copies of the zine|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
The Noble Steward's Chronicles is a gen anthology of fan fiction originally published in a limited print fanzine format and then later published in online e-zine format.
The first two volumes were originally collated and presented to the one of the Lord of the Ring actors by fans at the Lord of the Rings Fellowship Festival 2004 in the UK. The final 3 volumes were published mainly for other fans.
"The Noble Steward's Chronicles - a collection of fanfiction that myself and three very good friends put together as a gift for John Noble, in two parts. Like I said, he gets Volume 2 at RingCon." Cadiliniel's journey to the UK Fellowship Festival 2004.
The Noble Steward's Chronicles 1 & 2 were published in print format in 2004. The Noble Steward's Chronicles 3-4 were published in pdf fomat between 2005 and 2009 on the Men of Gondor Forum.
The Noble Steward's Chronicles 1
The Noble Steward's Chronicles 3 contains 29 pages.
- A Tale of Years by Chris
- Echo by Cressida
- Last Night by Astara
- The Dark Night of the Soul by Chris
- The Horn of Gondor by Cadiliniel
- Not Remembered by Cadiliniel
The Noble Steward's Chronicles 2
The Noble Steward's Chronicles 2 contains 26 pages
- Cover Art (photo montage) by Chris
- Portrait of a Lady by Chris. Denethor’s feelings about Finduilas shortly after their first meeting.
- At Long Last by Astara. How Denethor and Finduilas of Dol Amroth met and why they married.
- The Steward’s New Clothes by Cressida. The approach of autumn means the renewal of an old battle between a Steward and his tailor. (Movieverse)
- Fairy Tales by Cadiliniel. Denethor is put in charge of saying good night to the boys--but what he hopes will be a short task is unexpectedly prolonged.
- A Good Memory by Cressida. Drabble; a birthday gift prompts a memory for young Faramir.
The Noble Steward's Chronicles 3
The Noble Steward's Chronicles 3 was published in 2006 and is 114 pages.
- Introduction by Cressida
- About the Cover by Enednoviel
- About the Contributors
- All the World’s a Stage by Cadiliniel - Denethor’s life, based on the seven stages of man as Shakespeare wrote them in As You Like
- The Ballad of the Lady Finduilas by Nesta - a song about Denethor's courtship of Finduilas.
- An Evening Together by Athelas63 - While teenaged Boromir is away, the Steward of Gondor and the younger son share a meal and their thoughts.
- White, Blue, Black by Illwynd - Denethor attempts to make Minas Tirith seem more like home to Finduilas.
- Without Leave by Cressida - Nine-year-old Denethor slips away from his tutor and climbs to the top of the White Tower.
- Six Drabbles by Annmarwalk
- Passion -Even an hour apart is too long for some lovers.
- Making Haiku - Finduilas charms and soothes her frustrated husband.
- Beyond Imagination - Denethor receives an unimagined gift.
- Where a Man’s Treasure Is, There Will His Heart Be Also - Denethor has all that a man could want; and so, he is an object of envy.
- Birdsong - A birthday gift causes Denethor to reveal an unexpected skill.
- Peace - A chance encounter reminds Denethor of what he has pledged his life to protect.
- Refraction by Kielle - Did Denethor’s wife Finduilas truly “pine away for the sea,” as the tales say, or was it something more sinister…?
- Three Drabbles by Chris
- Broken - Denethor receives the broken Horn of Gondor.
- Inadequate - Denethor tries to find the words to describe his beloved, only to find that he cannot.
- Mirror Image - Denethor cannot bear to look at Faramir for reasons he would rather forget.
- Ties Broken by a Sword by Athelas63 - A visit from Denethor while Boromir and Faramir are practicing their swordsmanship reveals family tension and brotherly love.
- Two Drabbles by Cressida
- The Hope of Gondor - Denethor sees the future in his sons.
- Lingering - After the events of The Return of the King, Faramir visits the House of the Stewards.
- Learning Letters by Lilan - Would Denethor have been a better father to a little girl? Not Alternate Universe! But perhaps slightly MarySue-ish.
- Sonnets for Finduilas by Chris - A series of three sonnets for Finduilas, written by Denethor before their marriage.
- Wiles of the Enemy by Twoflower2- Two great minds have a power battle.
- Going Too Far by Astara
The Noble Steward's Chronicles 4
The Noble Steward's Chronicles 4 was published in 2007 and is 105 pages.
- Introduction by Illwynd
- About the Contributors
- A Flickering Light by Lilan - Denethor and Faramir, after Boromir’s death. Written for Cressida’s birthday.
- The Sense of Seasons by Roh_wyn - The seasons of Denethor's life, in a triple drabble.
- Very Unlike Him by Illwynd - Denethor speaks to his sons, acting very unlike himself, and the brothers wonder why.
- The Dancer by Annmarwalk - "You, who have only known Denethor in his later years, when his burdens lay heavily upon him, can scarcely imagine him in the glory of his youth." A dowager lady of Minas Tirith recalls love and loss.
- The Lesson by Nesta - We know that Denethor taught Faramir and Boromir history, but what were the lessons like? Find the answer here.
- Seeing Stone by Nancy Brooke - Ecthelion lets his heir in on a secret.
- Red Sky by Cressida - In 2954, Mount Doom burst into flame again, and Denethor's life changed forever.
- Trapped by Astara - On a routine mission, Denethor encounters unexpected dangers, while back in Minas Tirith, Finduilas is facing trials of her own.
- Pearls by Lilan - Three drabbles featuring the entire Steward’s family. Written for Astara’s birthday.
- Remembrance by Acacea - Denethor finds an old gift.
- Gift of Ithilien by Illwynd - In a time of both troubles and triumphs, Denethor and Finduilas find new perspectives.
- Cover Art: "That depends on the manner of your return" by Khorazîr
- Sad Denethor by Boromirka
- Denethor-i-Finduilas by Kasiopea
The Noble Steward's Chronicles 5
The Noble Steward's Chronicles 5 was published in 2008 and is 140 pages.
- Cover Art: Denethor-i-Boromir by Kasiopeia
- Pranks by Astara. Four boys, a failed plan, and a situation going out of hand.
- Denethor and the Reluctant Bridegroom by Cressida. An old friend asks for Denethor’s help to get him out of a tight situation.
- From the North by Illwynd. A drabble regarding something odd that Denethor has noticed.
- Conversations by Roh_wyn. Denethor has a conversation with Thorongil and learns something new.
- Hurt by Astara. Finduilas sees more than others.
- The Eagle’s Gift by Raksha the Demon. Denethor receives a special gift on his wedding night.
- The Height of Joy by Cressida. Denethor brings his wife to a special place (a double drabble).
- Heat by Astara. On a hot summer night, sleep endures the noble travelers Denethor and Finduilas.
- The Long Farewell by Illwynd. In the prime of his life, the man soon to be Steward of Gondor is shadowed by loss and grief.
- Illustration: The Funeral of Rothinel by Illwynd
- Illustration: First Lessons: Boromir by Grayswandir
- A Wizard’s Pupil by Lilan. Denethor, Faramir, Gandalf. Same place, same time. A recipe for disaster? Well, read and
- Illustration: First Lessons: Faramir by Grayswandir
- Vigilance by Nesta. Young Faramir reflects on the need to balance realism against despair when confronting the
- Before You Go by Nancy Brooke. Denethor speaks to Boromir before his fateful journey.
- Palantír by ElvishKiwi. Over the years, Denethor learns a great deal from the Seeing Stone.
- Illustration: Denethor Grieves for Faramir by Khorazîr