|Also Known As:|
|Works:||Blood Ties (television series), Blood books, Quarters series, Keeper's Chronicles (books), Smoke and Shadows, Novels of Crystal, Valor books, The Fire's Stone|
|On Fanlore:||Related pages|
Tanya Huff is a Canadian science fiction and fantasy writer. The television series Blood Ties was based on Huff's Blood books, which are also known as the Vicki Nelson novels.
Tanya Huff wrote in a May 2010 journal entry:
As the fanfic discussion is making the rounds again let me just reiterate where I, personally, stand.
1. Don't tell me about it. Knowledge implies consent and implied consent can potentially result in some legal nastiness. We'll both be happier if I don't know, trust me.
2. Have fun. I, personally, am thrilled you like what I've created enough that you want to see how it looks dressed in green and wearing thigh high boots.
3. I have no actual evidence, but I doubt fanfic has ever lost me readers and I strongly suspect it may be responsible for my gaining a couple.4. But, seriously, don't tell me about it.
On fan passion
In October 2001 she posted "I was an SF fan for years before I was a pro. I went to my first convention in 1977. I have been a costumer and a filker (still a filker), I've entered art shows, and run con-suites (not well, honesty forces me to admit) and the thing I love best about fans is how willing they are to be passionate about things. Books, movies, TV shows, games, corsets, beer, plots, characters, covers, authors, actors, high tech, low tech, comics and graphic novels and the arguments over which is which."
List of Novels and Short Story Collections
- Summon the Keeper (1998)
- The Second Summoning (2001)
- Long Hot Summoning (2003)
- Sing the Four Quarters (1994)
- Fifth Quarter (1995)
- No Quarter (1996)
- The Quartered Sea (1999)
Novels of Crystal
- Child of the Grove (1988)
- The Last Wizard (1989)
- Wizard of the Grove (1999) (Omnibus edition of Child of the Grove and The Last Wizard)
- Blood Price (1991)
- Blood Trail (1992)
- Blood Lines (1992)
- Blood Pact (1993)
- Blood Debt (1997)
- Blood Bank - a short story collection
- The Blood Books, Volume I (Omnibus edition of Blood Price and Blood Trail)
- The Blood Books, Volume II (Omnibus edition of Blood Lines and Blood Pact)
- The Blood Books, Volume III (Omnibus edition of Blood Debt and Blood Bank)
- Smoke and Shadows (2004)
- Smoke and Mirrors (2005)
- Smoke and Ashes (2006)
- Valor's Choice (2000)
- The Better Part of Valor (2002)
- A Confederation of Valor (Omnibus edition of Valor's Choice and A Better Part of Valor)
- The Heart of Valor (2007)
- Valor's Trial (2008)
- Gate of Darkness, Circle of Light (1989)
- The Fire's Stone (1990)
- Scholar of Decay (1995) a Ravenloft novel
Short story collections
- What Ho, Magic! (1999)
- Relative Magic (2003)
- Stealing Magic (2005)
- Finding Magic (2007)
The fandom for the television version of the Blood Books is small but established, and there is crossover between the television fandom and books fandom, but book verse stories are much more rare. The canonical Tony/Henry relationship, which does not exist on the show has drawn some fans to both the Blood and the Smoke series.
The Fire's Stone is often a Yuletide fandom and a few stories have been written.
Archives and Communities
- the AO3 has stories archived under several fandom tags, including HUFF Tanya - Works, Fire's Stone - Tanya Huff and Blood-Smoke Series - Tanya Huff
- The Fire's Stone stories at the Yuletide Treasure Archive