Organization for Transformative Works/Board
|Name:||Board of Directors|
|Country based in:||USA; international volunteers|
|Focus:||Organizes committees, makes final decisions, keeps financial records, handles compliance.|
|External Links:||Who We Are (OTW website), Board Meeting Minutes, Reports and Governing Documents|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
The Board of Directors for the Organization for Transformative Works is responsible for running the organization. The OTW website describes the Board's role and how it is chosen:
It is the Board's responsibility to organize committees, make final decisions, keep financial records, handle compliance, and so on. Board members are asked to serve three-year terms. One-third of the Board is elected every year. The Board is elected from among members in good standing who have served at least one term on a committee. Every member of the OTW gets one vote in the election, regardless of how much they contribute.
Current Board Members
The Board members for 2014 are:
- Cat Meier (President) (2nd year, 1st term)
- Nikisha Sanders (Treasurer) (3rd year, 1st term)
- Eylul Dogruel (Elections Officer) (2nd year, 1st term)
- Andrea Horbinski (Secretary, October-December) (2nd year, 1st term)
Emerita Board Members
According to the OTW website, the first Board of Directors was chosen as follows:
Naomi Novik put out a call for those willing to serve in the organization in June of 2007, and chose the first board from among those who responded, on the basis of putting together a team with the particular set of skills and experience needed to set up the infrastructure of a nonprofit organization, including its bylaws. These bylaws include the rules and terms under which a membership could be gathered and a future board legally elected. A third of the board seats were up for election in 2008; two founding members gave up their seats, and two new Board members were affirmed by the membership.
2007-2008 Board Members
The founding OTW Board was announced on September 28, 2007.
- Naomi Novik (President)
- Francesca Coppa (Secretary)
- Susan Gibel (Treasurer)
- Cathy Cupitt
- Michele Tepper
- Rebecca Tushnet
- Jo Graham (September 2007-January 2008)
- KellyAnn Bessa (January-December 2008)
Jo Graham (Jo Wyrick)'s resignation from the Board was announced in January 2008, and Bessa was selected as her replacement.
2009 Board Members
Two candidates stepped forward for two open seats for the 2008 Election, so no contested election was held.
- Naomi Novik (President) (2nd year)
- Francesca Coppa (Secretary) (2nd year)
- Susan Gibel (Treasurer) (2nd year)
- KellyAnn Bessa (2nd year)
- Rebecca Tushnet (2nd year)
- Rachel Barenblat (1st year)
- Sheila Lane (1st year)
2010 Board Members
Two candidates stepped forward for two open seats for the 2009 Election, so no contested election was held.
- Naomi Novik (President) (3rd year)
- Francesca Coppa (Secretary) (3rd year)
- Sheila Lane (Treasurer) (2nd year)
- Rebecca Tushnet (Elections Officer) (3rd year)
- Rachel Barenblat (2nd year)
- Allison Morris (1st year)
- Elizabeth Yalkut (1st year)
2011 Board Members
Coppa, Gladkova, and Murphy were elected in the OTW 2010 Board Election. In December 2010, Elizabeth Yalkut resigned her position and Braunstein was appointed to fill her seat. The finalized 2011 Board was announced on December 31, 2010.
- Allison Morris (President) (2nd year, 1st term)
- Kristen Murphy (Secretary) (1st year, 1st term)
- Sheila Lane (Treasurer) (3rd year, 1st term)
- Ira Gladkova (Elections Officer) (1st year, 1st term)
- Francesca Coppa (1st year, 2nd consecutive term)
- Rachel Barenblat (3rd year, 1st term)
- Hele Braunstein (1st year, 1st term)
2012 Board Members
- Kristen Murphy (President) (2nd year, 1st term)
- Jenny Scott-Thompson (Secretary, Elections Officer) (1st year, 1st term)
- Julia Beck (Vice-Secretary) (1st year, 1st term)
- Nikisha Sanders (Treasurer) (1st year, 1st term)
- Francesca Coppa (2nd year, 2nd consecutive term)
- Ira Gladkova (2nd year, 1st term)
- Naomi Novik (1st year, 2nd term)
2013 Board Members
The 2013 Board was announced on December 27, 2012. It was the first nine-member Board, following the July 2012 announcement that the Board would be expanded from seven to nine members starting in 2013.
- Kristen Murphy (President, January-June; Secretary, July-December) (3rd year, 1st term)
- Ira Gladkova (Secretary, January-June; President, July-December) (3rd year, 1st term)
- Cat Meier (Vice President, July-December) (1st year, 1st term)
- Nikisha Sanders (Treasurer) (2nd year, 1st term)
- Eylul Dogruel (Elections Officer) (1st year, 1st term)
- Franzeska Dickson (1st year, 1st term)
- Andrea Horbinski (1st year, 1st term)
- Julia Beck (January-February) (2nd year, 1st term)
- Maia Bobrowicz (January-June) (1st year, 1st term)
After the resignations of Beck and Bobrowicz, the Board was left with seven members. Gladkova and Murphy's terms both ended in December, leaving four vacant seats for the 2013 election.
2014 Board Members
No candidates came forward during the 2013 election season. The Board announced in December 2013 that they intended to make appointments to fill three of the four vacant sets. Genoese was nominated to fill one of the seats; the others remained unfilled.
- Franzeska Dickson (January-June) (2nd year, 1st term)
- Anna Genoese (Secretary) (January-October) (1st year, 1st term)
Franzeska's resignation was announced on June 2, 2014, leaving the Board with only five members.
Board Meeting Attendance
In July 2012, after a board member posted about poor attendance at board meetings, some fans calculated the attendance rate of different board members and posted their findings. So many fans expressed shock at the results that the board member wrote a follow-up post to clarify the relative importance of meeting attendance.
The following tables show attendance of board members at board meetings conducted via online chat, for the 2011 and 2012 terms.
From 12/29/2010 (at the start of a new term) and 12/4/2011 (near the end of a term), there were 28 meetings and this is the breakdown of board members' attendance:
|Date||Allison Morris||Francesca Coppa||Hele Braunstein||Ira Gladkova||Kristen Murphy||Rachel Barenblat||Sheila Lane|
|Total Attendance||26 (93%)||19 (68%)||26 (93%)||22 (79%)||27 (96%)||17 (61%)||19 (68%)|
From 11/26/2011 (when the transition between the new and old board starts) to 09/14/2012, there were 35 meetings and here is a breakdown of board members' attendance:
|Timestamp||Francesca Coppa||Ira Gladkova||Jenny Scott-Thompson||Julia Beck||Kristen Murphy||Naomi Novik||Nikisha Sanders|
|Total Attendance to 4 August||11 (37%)||22 (73%)||24 (80%)||24 (80%)||28 (93%)||14 (47%)||28 (93%)|
|Total Attendance to 14 September||14 (40%)||27 (77%)||29 (83%)||28 (80%)||31 (89%)||16 (46%)||33 (94%)|
- OTW Frequently Asked Questions. (Accessed 11 July 2012.)
- An Introduction to the Organization for Transformative Works at otw_news on LiveJournal, posted 28 September 2007. (Accessed 05 March 2014.)
- January 2008, Newsletter, vol. 2 at otw_news, posted 17 January 2008. (Accessed 05 March 2014.)
- News from Term Break - 2011 OTW Board and Committee Chairs at the OTW blog. 31 December 2010. (Accessed 05 March 2014.)
- OTW 2011 Board Candidates and Election News, posted on 22 September 2011. (Accessed 05 July 2012.)
- OTW Elections website. (Accessed 11 July 2012.)
- Board Resignations and Appointments for 2013 at the OTW blog. 27 December 2012. (Accessed 18 June 2014.)
- 2012 Election: Expanding the Board and Amending the Bylaws at the OTW blog. 18 July 2012. (Accessed 11 October 2014.)
- OTW 2013 Election update at the OTW blog. 01 December 2013. (Accessed 11 October 2014.)
- Re: Elections, comment by Eylul Dogruel at the OTW blog. 28 October 2013. (Accessed 11 October 2014.)
- Franzeska Dickson resigns from OTW Board at the OTW blog. 02 June 2014. (Accessed 18 June 2014.)
- Jenny Scott-Thompson. Tired. Posted to Dreamwidth 4 July 2012. (Accessed 30 July 2012). Jenny writes, "We have three people who can hardly ever make a meeting at the moment. I would say you can see from our minutes, but I'm having trouble getting a quorum to approve the minutes so I can post them."
- Re:OTW Newsletter. Thread in fail_fandomanon started 4 July 2012. (Accessed 30 July 2012)
- wistfuljane. Rarity. Posted to Dreamwidth 6 July 2012. (Accessed 30 July 2012)
- Jenny Scott-Thompson. Clarifications and news. Posted to Dreamwidth 6 July 2012. (Accessed 30 July 2012)
- OTW Board Meeting Minutes. (Accessed 05 July 2012.)