|Name:||Idealists Haven (more often referred to as "Haven")|
|Dates:||1999 (?)-present (see article)|
|Type:||Media site, Message Boards|
The X-File's Haven For The FBI's Most Unwanted, Archived version
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Idealists Haven started as the "Haven for the FBI's Most Unwanted" at a Simplenet site (now offline) in 1998.
As the site grew in popularity, more message boards were added, including a shipper board, a spoilers board, and a fan fiction board. All boards continued to be shipper-focused, although the fan fiction board started to slowly move away from that foundation as general fan fiction discussion started to consolidate there.
In 2001, the site moved to its current home at http://www.idealistshaven.com/. The boards were upgraded to a full-fledged web message forum and grew so popular that they made up the majority of the traffic to the site.
After a server crash in 2003, only the message boards were restored. Through today, the message boards remain an active location for X-Files discussion on the web.
Its motto: "An exploration of a partnership where truth is the journey, trust is bedrock, and love pervades all."
[badforthefish]: I respectfully disagree with the notion that the fandom of old was a nicer place. I remember the flame wars, the nasty stuff that happened during [[The Wicked X Witches of Badfic Punishment|The Witches controversy]], the name calling…. etc, the authors who got blacklisted for daring to write Doggett and so on. There was condescending behaviour then, groups who badmouthed other groups, people being clickey or being accused of being clickey. These things are not new and tend to repeat themselves. I remember meeting many people at the 2008 London IWTB premiere who told me they’d left Haven for Live Journal because they got their head bitten off for disagreeing with the board’s divas or simply for speaking their mind. There was IMO way more drama in the newsgroups and boards than there is now. I find the this year’s fandom crop much more civilized, considerate and kind, (but maybe I’m simply not following the people who aren’t) Haven for instance is a much friendlier place than it ever was, imo. But I guess we all experience the fandom in different ways. I follow this simple rule... 
In previous years, snoggers had not always been as closeted away as they were post-series. The loudest snoggers were not pleasant jokey ironic fun people imbibing the tacit etiquette of 2010s-era Real People Fandom. Their treatment of the actors was often so dehumanizing, foul, misogynistic, and otherwise unhinged, that places like Haven actively policed discussion of DD and GA and their relationship, and this attitude spread in other fan spaces, too. 
Message Board FAQs
Guidelines and FAQ for all the Discussion Boards:
- 1. We are all to be respectful towards each other (no flaming allowed).
- 2. In deference to some of the poster's here, keep all discussions PG-13
- 3. Delete the previous post in all responses (except for the logical exception of small bits quoted and responded to here and there).
- 4. The boards are not for discussing the actors and their personal lives.
- 5. Non X-files related posts are discouraged unless illsutritative of an X-files related issue
PLEASE NOTE: Inappropriate posts (e.g.. those that are wildly off topic, offensive, or contain unverified spoiler information) will be deleted;
Shipper Board Guidelines:
- 1. This board welcomes posts of any kind with regards to the Mulder/Scully dynamic, mythology, conspiracy, and science of The X-Files.
- 2. This board is primarily for discussing episodes after their North American air date. Discussions concerning spoilers should remain on spoiler page, but if discussing a spoiler can't be avoided then put (sp) in the message heading. Do not reveal spoiler in message heading.
Spoiler Board Guidelines:
- 1. In order to attempt to limit to "spoilers" rather than rumor, please discuss only spoilers that Amy has posted on her spoiler pages. New spoilers will always be posted on the Whats New Page as they are added to their respective spoiler pages.
- 2. If you have a new spoiler, please send it to her at Amy. After the spoiler is confirmed you will be credited as the source.
Fanfic Board Guidelines:
- 1. Board is only to be used to discuss X-Files fan fiction
- 2. Criticms of ANY written work must be constructive or they will be deleted.
- 3. If looking for a Beta reader, feel free to post that, you may also want to email Amy
- 1. Typing in all caps is considered shouting and may be interpreted as rude. Please reserve for extremly important posts
- 2. The Acronyms (thanks to Vermin).
BTW - By The Way
DAL - Deep Abiding Love
*g* - grin
GTM - Gratuitous Touching Moment
ICAM - I Couldn't Agree More
IMHO - In My Humble Opinion
ITA - I Totally Agree
KAMSR - Kissing Around MSR
LOL - Laugh Out Loud
MSR - Mulder-Scully Relationship
NM - No Message
OMG - Oh My God
TmTT - Too much Testosterone Theory
TPTB - The Powers That Be
UST - Unresolved Sexual Tension
ROTFL - Roll On The Floor Laughing
ROTFLMAO - ROll On The Floor Laughing My Ass Off
RST - Resolved Sexual Tension
SP - Spoiler
Hopefully these guidelines and FAQ's will help keep us all on the same page. Thanks so much to Vermin, Peanut, and Beaker for writting [sic] these. 
- 3. What's a spoiler? Information about the events in unaired episodes. Spoilers are not rumors (e.g.. Whether or not actors have on-set fights, etc.)
- 4. I have a spoiler Amy hasn't posted! What do I do? Send it to Amy so it can be confirmed. She will credit you when the spoilers are posted.
Some Old Links
- the front page for October 9, 2000
- The X-File's Haven For The FBI's Most Unwanted, Archived version
- Message Boards, Archived version (riddled with link failure and about 99% unreadable now)
- Haven's What's New Page: Last Updated October 5, 1999, Archived version
- Elemental Fanfic Archive, Archived version
Some Haven Metafic
- La Muchacha Del Cumpleaños Que Robó El Asilo, a fic written in January 2004 as a commentary on Haven's closure