|Name:||Huggy Bear, Huggy Bear Brown|
|Occupation:||bartender, entrepreneur, not a pimp|
|Location:||Bay City, California|
|Relationships:||dated Miss Treasure Chest, suggested that Detective Joan Meredith may be his future wife|
|Fandom:||Starsky and Hutch|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Huggy Bear, last name Brown, is a character in Starsky & Hutch. He is Starsky and Hutch's bartender, snitch and, importantly, close friend.
The Huggy Awards are named after Huggy.
In an interview transcribed in a 1998 Black Bean Soup, Antonio Fargas, the actor who portrayed Huggy Bear, says: "At the time, it was considered hip to have one or two black actors on your series, and I was lucky enough to be one of those."
Huggy's notorious "hip", "urban", and "totally authentic" way of speaking has made him a symbol of badly-written black characters of the time. He is frequently referenced in humorous contexts like the TV Tropes article on "Jive Turkeys" but also in impassioned rants about African American media stereotypes. Captain Dobey, another African-American character on the show, didn't draw the same fire. At the same time, many people appreciate Huggy for being a sympathetic and fairly major black character at a time when these were few and far between on television.
A Pimp? A Thief?
Many mainstream articles and comments by mundanes refer to Huggy as a pimp and/or thief. While the canon Huggy is shown as having a variety of dubious (mostly foolish) means of employment, there is no proof he dabbled in anything more than passing on information and turning a blind eye to others' petty crimes. Huggy, in fact, was shown to have a fairly robust sense of right and wrong, something that was illustrated in canon a number of times.
The fanon Huggy Bear plays out much like the canon Huggy. He is often portrayed as a good friend willing to put himself out for Starsky and Hutch while balancing his need to survive in his world on the street.
- The Waiting Room by K. Hanna Korossy, Starsky and Hutch stand vigil
- Huggy Under Fire by Hutchlover, What happened to Huggy Bear's Bar & Grill? Why was there a break between Huggy's two bars?
- Superfly, a Huggy-focused vid by T.M.
- Any Major Dude by Melanie R The Pits #2 (Huggy's first meeting with the dynamic duo and how The Pits got its name. Huggy's first thought on seeing Starsky and Hutch together was that somehow they seemed like a matched pair, end he couldn't figure out why.)
Huggy Bear doesn't get a lot of action in fanon. He is sometimes paired with Mardean Rigger, sometimes with Turquet, and a few times with Starsky and Hutch. (Usually, this is as a secondary pairing in a primarily Starsky and Hutch story.)
- "Take It Out in Trade" by Paula Smith in the zine, Code 7 #4 (Hutch)
- Liaisons by Cyn (Hutch)
- An Even Tighter Closet by Rosemary C. (Turquet)
- A Beautiful Mess by Kaye (Starsky)
- Huggy's Dark Secret by Alleycat (Starsky)
- Possession's End by Debs (Hutch)
- Jive Turkey on TV Tropes (Accessed August 26, 2010)
- Unfortunately, one might argue that that time hasn't really ended...