|Associated Community:||Amplificathon Community moderated by general_jinjur, Raz0r.girl, Anatsuno|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Amplificathon has a community on LiveJournal and a mirror community on Dreamwidth. Podficcers can and do post podfic to the community even when the challenge is not running. As stated in the community profile, posting podfic to Amplificathon gives the Audiofic Archive archivists permission to archive it; podficcers who want permanent hosting for their files often cross-post to Amplificathon just to take advantage of this service. The community also hosts two other podfic challenges: podbang and amplirecathon.
Each year, the three fandoms with the most podfics in the archive are determined in order to calculate points. From 2008 to 2010, these were due South, Stargate Atlantis, and Supernatural. In 2011 and 2012, due South was replaced with Merlin. In 2013, the number of "giant" fandoms was expanded to five: Supernatural & Supernatural RPF, Stargate Atlantis, Harry Potter, Merlin, and My Chemical Romance. In 2014, giant fandoms were defined as fandoms with over 500 podfics on the archive: avengers movie, harry potter, merlin, my chemical romance, sherlock, spn & spn rpf, stargate atlantis, teen wolf.
Unlike most ficathons, Amplificathon was set up as a competition, with points awarded for recording podfics from fandoms, or for pairings, not previously represented in the Audiofic Archive. The competition format proved to be a resounding success, with six hundred new podfics added to the archive, as well as adding a hundred and five previously unrepresented fandoms and an uncountable number of new pairings. The most points had been earned by twasadark, followed by leviticus_lied and jadesfire2808.
Prize banners and podfics for the winners were provided by volunteer podficcers and fan artists. Other special prizes were awarded for remarkable achievements during Amplificathon, such as First Brave Poster, Most New Fandoms Introduced, Largest Single Podfic and Most Minutes Recorded.
In its second year, the challenge ran from March 30th to June 1st, 2009. 34 readers participated. First place went to sly_hostetter (820 points), followed by rhea314 (741 points) and luzula (362 points).
New developments included the posting of podfic in languages other than English, which was specifically encouraged by general_jinjur.
Amplificathon 2010 ran from March 30 to June 7. The June 1 winners were 2naonh3_cl2, luzula, and lunchy_munchy. The June 7 winners were twilight_angel, lunchy_munchy, and 2naonh3_cl2. There were 75 participants.
The 2012 round ran from March 15 to April 30, and was moderated by Aphelant, Were_duck and Cybel. For the first time, the challenge ran only from the Dreamwidth community. The winner was tinypinkmouse, with runners up reena_jenkins and rhea314. Participation was down on 2010-11, with a total of 57 readers.
The 2013 round ran from March 15 to April 30, and was moderated by Aphelant, were_duck, and general_jinjur. The top points winner was reena_jenkins, with runners up kalakirya and exmanhater. There were a total of 55 readers.
- amplificathon - profile (accessed 19 December 2012)
- The top fandoms on the archive each year can be an indicator of which fandoms are currently popular that year overall, but due to the small size of podfic fandom, results can be skewed by the interests of a few particularly prolific podficcers, who in turn may entice more people from that fandom into podficcing. Supernatural, SGA, and Merlin were all Fandoms That Ate Fandom and were still on the air. due South was a moderately large fandom whose show had ended in 1998, but when the archive opened in 2006, dS was in the midst of a fandom renaissance (or at least continuance), possibly due to the mid-2000s DVD releases. Early podficcers like Zabira may also have had an impact. Harry Potter was a huge fandom in the early to mid 2000s, but apparently not among podficcers, who didn't start making serious inroads on the back catalog of fic until more recently.
- amplificathon 2013: calculating points, posted to the Dreamwidth community 8 March 2013. (Accessed 8 March 2013)
- amplificathon 2014: fandom/pairing points, posted to the Dreamwidth community 9 March 2014. (Accessed 11 May 2014)
- points and standings (2008 challenge) (accessed 1 May 2012)
- podmod, Amplificathon 2008 summary post Posted June 11, 2008. Last accessed November 19, 2008.
- Podmod on March 28th 2009 (later edited to add standings): points & standings 2009. Accessed August 22nd 2009.
- \o/ \o/ \o/ AMPLIFICATHON 2010 VICTORY DANCE!!!, posted in amplificathon, 2010-06-18.
- points & standings 2010 (accessed 1 May 2012)
- AND NOW, FOR THE MOMENT YOU'VE ALL (MAYBE) BEEN WAITING FOR: FINAL! POINTS!! UPDATE!!!! (accessed 1 May 2012)
- 2011 amplificathon: calculating points (accessed 1 May 2012)
- amplificathon 2012: faq (accessed 1 May 2012)
- Amplificathon: the community and the challenge (accessed 1 May 2012)
- Amplificathon: Final Standings! (accessed 5 May 2012)
- amplificathon 2013: faq, posted to Dreamwidth 8 March 2013. (Accessed 8 March 2013)
- amplificathon: Amplificathon Final Standings! (accessed 6 July 2013)
- Amplificathon FINAL POINTS, posted by podmod to Dreamwidth 5 May 2014. (accessed 11 May 2014)