Assembly Line (or Why It's a Lot Harder than Steve Thought to Recruit New Members)
|Title:||Assembly Line (or Why It's a Lot Harder than Steve Thought to Recruit New Members)|
|Genre:||Primarily gen, action/adventure, alternate universe|
|Fandom:||Marvel Comics, Marvel Cinematic Universe|
|External Links:||Assembly Line (or Why It's a Lot Harder than Steve Thought to Recruit New Members) on AO3|
Click here for related articles on Fanlore.
Assembly Line (or Why It's a Lot Harder than Steve Thought to Recruit New Members) is a multi-part Marvel Cinematic Universe/Marvel Comics fusion fanfiction series published to AO3 by MsBrooklyn. It began in July 2015 and is still ongoing as of September 2018, with 17 works in the series.
It was originally inspired by a prompt posted to the Daredevil Kink Meme, which requested a story about the Avengers accommodating the various disabilities of its members. This gave rise to the first work in the series, Right Idea, Wrong Disability, which fuses The Avengers Movieverse with the Daredevil TV series.
- Matt Murdock: The series begins with Matt reluctantly being recruited to the Avengers by Steve Rogers. Matt later develops a close friendship with Peter Parker and becomes the foster parent of Jessica Drew Murdock, aka Spiderwoman.
- Steve Rogers: The leader of the Avengers, the series initially focuses on his attempts to recruit new members to the team - namely, Daredevil and Spider-Man. He later develops a father-son relationship with Peter Parker, and becomes romantically involved with Karen Page.
- Peter Parker: In this universe, Peter Parker is 15 years old, unbeknownst to Steve when he initially tries to recruit the teenager to the Avengers. Peter develops a close relationship with Matt Murdock, and a father-son relationship with both Steve Rogers and Bucky Barnes. He also becomes the leader of the "After School Avengers", a collection of teenaged superheroes.
- Bucky Barnes, aka The Winter Soldier: The series diverges from Marvel Cinematic Universe canon after the events of Captain America: The Winter Soldier. In this 'verse, Bucky Barnes meets Peter Parker when Hydra operatives attack his school, and the two go on the run together. Later, Bucky Barnes becomes a permanent resident of the Parker household.
- Jessica Drew Murdock, aka Spiderwoman: A clone of Peter Parker, Jessica escapes from the lab where she was created by Hydra and seeks out Matt Murdock. The two develop a close bond, and Matt later becomes her adopted parent.
- Clint Barton: Clint's characterisation in this 'verse combines canon from the Marvel Cinematic Universe with Matt Fraction's Hawkeye, making Clint the landlord of a building he reclaimed from the "tracksuit mafia". He retains the legal services of Nelson and Murdock to help with his building code violations, and becomes friends with Matt Murdock.
- Kate Bishop: Clint's protegé and a co-leader of the "After School Avengers". Kate also becomes best friends with Jessica Drew Murdock after the two are introduced by Clint Barton.
The series features a mixture of canon and non-canon ships, mostly het with one or two slash pairings. While the series focuses much more heavily on gen relationships, romantic relationships it has featured include:
- Peter Parker/Mary Jane Watson (with brief mentions of Peter Parker/Kitty Pryde)
- Matt Murdock/Natasha Romanov
- Steve Rogers/Karen Page
- Bucky Barnes/Jessica Jones (with mentions of Bucky Barnes/Ororo Munroe and Bucky Barnes/Darcy Lewis)
- Teddy Altman/Billy Kaplan
- Charles Xavier/Erik Lehnsherr
- Clint Barton/Raven Darkhölme