|Name:||X-Ville, XVille, XV|
|Date(s):||1996 - 2002|
|URL:||alt.tv.x-files and alt.tv.x-files.x-ville|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
X-Ville was a character RPG that evolved out of alt.tv.x-files (ATX) in fall of 1996. The ATXF Chamber of Commerce, as it was originally called, started with newsgroup members claiming job titles and real estate within the town of "X-Ville." These job titles and group affiliations could often be found in the poster's sig. The Chamber of Commerce began as a simple list, but quickly grew into an active virtual community.
To join X-Ville, all you had to do was create a character and write about their adventures as they went about their day and interacted with other X-Ville citizens. Characters were usually modeled on the poster themselves and X-Ville posts were identified with "XV" in the subject line. X-Villians would create original story lines, often riffing on current events in the newsgroup or borrowing elements from The X-Files to work into the town. For example, X-Ville was populated with Mulder, Krycek, and Skinner clones in a nod to the show's mytharc and the two-part episode Colony/End Game, which introduced dozens of Samantha Mulder clones. In June 1997, Pamela T. Pon founded the FOX Answering Service, using Mulder clones to deliver notes to other X-Ville members. (FOX Mulder. FAX machine. Get it?) This was a typical use of X-Files canon in X-Ville, but for many newsgroup members, that wasn't enough to justify X-Ville's place on ATX.
Because X-Ville wasn't strictly a discussion, its presence was a sore point in the newsgroup. Some members found it disruptive and off-topic, while others considered its parody just a different type of discussion and an important part of the newsgroup's dynamic. It was a conflict that would never be fully resolved. Many X-Ville members understood that the town didn't really fit the newsgroup's purpose, but they didn't want to leave either. They considered ATX to be X-Ville's home and the source of much of its material.
In March 1997, alt.tv.x-files.x-ville (ATXV) was created to give X-Ville its own space, but it didn't lessen the strain on ATX. Most of the newsgroup members involved in X-Ville were also active in threads throughout ATX and found it easier to stay in one place. Some members couldn't access ATXV because their ISPs didn't carry it. X-Ville ended up being crossposted to both newsgroups and the friction continued.
X-Ville was at its most active from 1996 to 1999, though the occasional post still trickles through the sea of spam on ATXV.
- Heavy: Lead Screamer: Scream Moldy Bore, X-Ville's first and only death metal band ("We'll kick your ass and eat the rest."). Later took the name Savage Brutality because it "sounded more, you know, relentless."
- Ophelia Quickly: Assault Bassist/Occasional Banshee: Scream Moldy Bore, X-Ville's Premeire Death Metal Band; Proud Proprietor of Stupendous Yappizza.
- Myrke: Creator and original leader of the Rogues. Became an elf and moved to Middle Earth, leaving leadership of the Rogues to Punk M.
- Alan Hurshman: ran the X-Ville spa.
- Flynn: "XV Enigma/Tattooist? Who knows? Not me...; Proprietor of the Tabernacle of Tattooing Terror. Probably."
- Punk M: X-Ville's poet laureate, owner of Wetwired Ad Agency ("Where Every Ad Looks the Same!"), Triangler in the X-Ville Musical, and leader of the Rogue OBSSE.
- Meg: X-Ville's Resident Juvenile Delinquent & Part-Time WIB; Evil Music Director of X-Ville: The Musical; Castle M's Ghostly Mumbling Wanderer; Lover of all things Krycek--"Visit the Lair Of The Rat!"
- Beagle: Proud Prop., Spam Cafe/Kam Kafe; Director, Queequeg Memorial Small Yappy Dog Rest Home/Bait Shop; lyricist, X-VILLE: The Musical.
- Prebend Thurman: Bishop Thurman, Prebend of X-Ville; Founder, First Righteous Combined Church of X-Ville, Chapel of the Cross Parish
- Alby Reid: X-Ville's dysfunctional teenager, Lt. 1st D.A.M.U.
- Red Crow: X-Ville's resident Hippie, and co-captain of the Doug Hutchison cheerleading squad, Director of X-Ville: The Musical.
- Leigh Anne Vrabel: Producer, X-Ville: The Musical; Head of 4/27 Productions.
- Laura Capozzola: Town Spy and Proprietor of Laura's and Cloneboy's X Why I Spy Store.
- Pepper: Owner, X-Ville Newsstand/Videorama; High Priestess of the Cult of Tooms and co-captain, Doug Hutchison Cheerleading Squad; First Fluke, X-Ville: The Musical.
- Buster: Captain - X-Ville 1st Division Anti-Troll Militia Unit, A SubDivision of the United Nations PeaceKeeping Forces (Canada).
- Paulina the RedHead: X-Ville's Inebriated Baker's Sometimes Inebriated Assistant; Semi-Permanent Occupant of the Second Stool From the End at Puffy's; Proprietor of X-Ville's Shooting Range and Medieval Warfare Battlefield; Performer of the Role of Dana Scully in the XVille Musical; Compiler of the X-Ville Musical Lyrics.
- Claire: Canadian Ambassador to X-Ville.
- The Paulverizer: Owner/Bartender, Puffy's Saloon; Atheist Minister, Church conveniently located at the bar in Puffy's: all are welcome; Rent-A-Cop--HOME Asylum.
- Spectre: Proprietor, The X-Ville Auto Garage; Proprietor, BOSS (Black Op's Surveillance Store).
- Pamela T. Pon: Lifeguard at XV's Olympic-Sized Public Pool & Skinny-Dipping Spot, Owner of the FOX Answering Service.
- Jenny: Caretaker, HOME Asylum.
- Kath: X-Ville BabySitter; HouseKeeping Manager, HOME Asylum.
- Spectre: Proprietor, The X-Ville Auto Garage; Proprietor, EyeSpy.
- Patterns: Runs the X-Ville China Outlet and Pie Shop (ChOPS, the 'h' is silent). She ended up in X-Ville after one of her Darin Morgan clones found a map tucked into a comic that was bought at a garage sale.
- Puffy's Saloon: X-Ville's local tavern, located in the town square. Named after the long lost original pervert, Puffy Breat Boy [sic].
- The Castle: Home to Punk M and Rogue Headquarters, the castle definitely had a kitchen, a library, a dungeon, and a bowels (as in "deep in the bowels of the castle"), all other architecture was subject to change at will. Also known as Rogue Manor or Castle M.
- Queequeg Memorial Small-Yappy-Dog Rest Home and Bait Shop: "Conveniently located by the pier, we offer full service care for those S-Y-D's unfortunately orphaned by serial killers and/or located by psychics....aaaand 'round back you can buy your 100% guranteed gatorbait/Nessie attractors. Plus maps, 5$. Roaches free with purchase."
- HOME Asylum: X-Ville's insane asylum.
- Queequeg Memorial Service and Wake: An event in honor of everyone's favorite Small Yappy Dog (SYD). Prebend Thurman lead the group in a hymn.
- Rogue OBSSE: The Rogues were the black ops arm of the OBSSE. A radical splinter group, they were sometimes referred to as "the kitchen crew."
- X-Ville: The Musical
- 1st D.A.M.U.: 1st Division Anti-Troll Militia Unit.
- X-Ville Goth Ball: Held at Castle M.
- X-Ville FAQ
- Alby Reid's X-Ville website via the Wayback Machine
- Leigh A Vrabel's account of joining ATX and X-Ville
- X-Ville: How?, Feb 27 1997.
- Please Shrink Mulder (and ATXF Chamber of Commerce), Nov 12 1996.
- XV: FOX Answering Service! (Re: Meg's ESCAPE from the DUNGEON), Jun 14 1997.
- Either X-Ville is going or I am (apologies to Oscar Wilde), Dec 18 1996.
- A Random, Rambling Diatribe on Moving X-Ville, Mar 6 1997.
- My new incarnation, Apr 21 1997.
- Punk M's Poetry, via the Wayback Machine, Aug 02 2001.
- X-Ville - Grand OpeningS!!!, Mar 16 1997.
- Puffy's Saloon Grand Opening!, Nov 26 1996.
- Puffy Breat Boy (was Didn't we just spray for spam last week?), Nov 14 1996.
- XV-Queequeg Memorial now open(X-Ville, xv), Dec 19 1996.
- X-Ville Asylum News!, Nov 30 1996.
- Re: XV/X-Ville Prebend Returns, Mar 14 1997.
- X-VILLE req: Repost of Lyrics (Longish), Jan 20 1997.
- XV--Castle PunkMstein Goth Ball, Apr 5 1997.