Working Stiffs (X-Files website)
|Dates:||2000-2009 (Wayback dates)|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
About the site:
- Do only men have dangling participles? I love reading fanfic–does that mean I'm a good beta reader? Can I get sued for this? How do I get unblocked when I can't even finish a coherent...uh...uh...?
- These are some of the questions that this site wants to answer. Every month new articles on writing by fanfic authors will be featured. You're the experts. Some of you painstakingly craft your stories, and some of you just crack your knuckles and start typing. Everyone approaches the writing process differently, and here at Working Stiffs we celebrate those differences. 
The site was hosted by GeoCities.
- Working Stiffs is the brainchild of Nicola Simpson. A published and agented writer, Nic's first fanfic was posted to alt.tv.x-files.creative in January 1995. Five and a half years later, Nic and a fellow author were lamenting the lack of technical resources for fan fiction writers, and a monster was born.
- Thanks to the enthusiasm and support of dozens of fanfic authors, and the web design expertise of Izzyvision, Working Stiffs was launched in October 2000. Managing the site is a big job, but has been made easier with the welcome addition of veteran author Megan Reilly as a contributing editor in November 2000.
- We really hope this site will be a valuable resource to the fanfic community, for authors and readers. Our goal isn't to teach or preach, or offer snarky put-downs on newbie authors or style choices (although poor spelling and grammar will never be acceptable). We want visitors to leave Working Stiffs inspired to write, or at least to think about their work and how to make it more compelling.
Regarding Its CreationFrom Nicola Simpson:
In fact, I'm in the middle of putting together a web site right now that will be devoted to writing resources for fanfic authors, including original articles on the craft of writing by your favorite authors, extensive interviews, and links to useful resources. Unlike the Witches' site, Working Stiffs will be a place that hopes to encourage fanfic writers to look at their work a little more closely, not condescend or criticize. I really hope that everyone here visits and finds it valuable and affirming of the creative potential of this newsgroup. 
The site features interviews with:
- Dawson Rambo
- Sister Zooey
- Dasha K (inspiration, Blinded By White Light, writer's block, POV, Scullyslash, smut, babyfic)
- Narida Law (smut, romance and UST, Closet Doors, Worth Breaking, The Absence of Memory, characterization, beta readers, titles, marketing)
- Sheryl Nantus (shippers vs. noromos, writing in canon, Jackie St.George, ATXC etiquette, beta readers, voice)
- Jess M. (writing an original novel, dialogue, rhythm, humor, RST, Masturbation!Mulder)
- Leyla Harrison (rapefic, feedback, writing NC-17, erotica vs. romance, cancerfic, craft)