|Pairing:||Gerard Way/Mikey Way|
|Gender category:||m/m sibling incest|
|Fandom:||My Chemical Romance|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Waycest is the popular term used by many Bandom fans to describe the slash relationship between the brothers Gerard and Mikey Way, respectively the singer and bass player in the band My Chemical Romance.
History & Popularity
Waycest is a relatively popular ship in MCR fandom. At the Archive of Our Own it is the second most popular ship for Gerard (after Frank/Gerard), with 493 occurrences of the pairing tag as of November 2016.
The origin of the ship is likely the fact that they are close in real life. (Note that the canon information available also inspired gen fanworks and fanworks in which their relationship is depicted as platonic: see Gerard & Mikey Way.)
It's also possible that fans started shipping the brothers because they didn't have enough information about the other band members to construct a story. Waycest appeared very early in MCR fandom's history. The first LiveJournal comm dedicated to the pairing was geeheartmikey, created 31 August 2004. For comparison, the first Frank/Gerard comm (gerardxfrankie) wasn't created until 18 March 2005.
Well actually believe it or not the first fan fiction we heard about was incest fan fiction and that was before any of the stuff you're talking about. Like years ago, there was incest fan fiction... I don't know, we can't control it so, um, at least they're being creative.
Waycest was also controversial within other parts of MCR fandom, such as at the chemicalromance community, where members felt the need to point out that "Mikey and Gerard are not anything but brothers. If they were fucking, that would seriously gross me out."
- In My Blood Like Holy Wine by Sena, podfic by sylvaine (Frank/Gerard/Mikey),
- Before and After by desfinado, podfic by sylvaine
- Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang by 7iris: GSF sex pollen pwp.
- Gerard/Mikey AO3 tag, accessed 8 November 2016
- Alison Aird. My Chemical Romance Interview, Room Thirteen, 8 February 2005.
- According to a post in chemicalromance, the interview itself occurred in January. The interviewer also made known her intentions to ask the band about slash and incest fic. Some of the commenters asked her not to:comment thread started by mysti113 started 22 December 2004.
- youtube link, February 2007. coleslaws created a gifset of the interview and posted it on tumblr in 2012.
- prettygolucky. Ways To Stop Looking Like A Teenybopper (And Other Such Rants), posted to chemicalromance, 2005-05-28. archived.