Timeline of Harry Potter Fandom
Click here for related articles on Fanlore.
- June: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, the first novel in the series, is published in the United Kingdom. Major character introduced include Harry, the Dursleys, Hermione Granger, Ron Weasley and his family, Neville Longbottom, Draco Malfoy, Severus Snape, Hagrid, and Albus Dumbledore.
- July: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, the second novel, is published in the United Kingdom. The characters Gilderoy Lockhart, Colin Creevey, and Dobby are introduced.
- October: The first novel is published in the United States as Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone.
- June: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets is published in the United States.
- July/September: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, the third novel, is published in the United Kingdom and the United States. Sirius Black, Remus Lupin, Peter Pettigrew, and the Marauder's Map are introduced.
- July: The fansites Harry Potter's Realm of Wizardry and The Unofficial Harry Potter Fan Club are started.
- September 4: The first HP story is posted to Fanfiction.net.
- September: The mailing list Harry Potter for GrownUps is started.
- November: The newsgroup alt.fan.harry-potter is started.
- October: The fansite MuggleNet opens.
- July: The Leaky Cauldron fansite is started.
- July: The Harry Potter Lexicon is started.
- July: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is published in the United Kingdom and North America. Cedric Diggory becomes the first recurring character in the series to die. The Three-Year Summer begins.
- August: Cassandra Claire starts posting chapters of the popular fanfic epic The Draco Trilogy.
- January: The Sugar Quill, a fanfiction and fanart archive, opens. SQ is for canon-compliant pairings.
- June 22: Fanfiction.net removes The Draco Trilogy from their site for TOS violations (plagiarism). Some fans of Cassie Claire are upset.
- Summer: FictionAlley, an all-pairing, all-genre fanfiction archive, opens and gives a new home to The Draco Trilogy.
- November: The film version of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone is released.
- November-December: Cassie Claire and others are stalked by the husband of a Gryffindor Tower admin.
- June: Harry and the Potters is the first wizard rock group to form.
- October: The fansite HPANA, a news aggregator, opens.
- The Livejournal RPG Nocturne Alley starts.
- September/November: On September 12, Fanfiction.net bans NC-17-rated stories. By November, the adult fanfic archive Restricted Section opens.
- November: The het fanfiction archive Portkey.org opens.
- November: The film version of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets is released.
- January: The Restricted Section and the Potter Slash Archive receive Cease & Desist notices from J.K. Rowling's literary agent and Warner Bros., ordering them to take down sexually explicit material.
- January: The fanfiction archive Checkmated opens. Checkmated includes Ron/Hermione stories, plus others.
- June: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is published, ending the Three-Year Summer. Dolores Umbridge, Nymphadora Tonks, and Luna Lovegood are introduced. Sirius Black dies.
- July 17-20: The Nimbus 2003 convention is held. Fans play Muggle Quidditch for the first time?
- November: The Livejournal fanfic community Pornish Pixies starts.
- December: The newsletter community QuickQuote starts.
- May: J.K. Rowling launches her redesigned official site, featuring exclusive content and new information about the HP universe.
- May: The newsletter community Daily Snitch starts.
- May/June: The film version of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban is released.
- June 30: The RPG Nocturne Alley concludes its two-year arc.
- November 18: Recs community Crack Broom founded.
- Big Bang, Baby, a Harry/Draco fic/art challenge, is the first Big Bang challenge.
- April: The newsletter community Hogwarts Today starts.
- July: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is published. Fans and non-fans alike are spoiled for Dumbledore's death.
- October 6-10: The Witching Hour convention is held in Salem, Massachusetts.
- November: The film version of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is released.
- June 1: The first episode of Snapecast, the all Snape, all the time podcast, is released.
- June 15: An anonymous fan posts The MsScribe Story: An Unauthorized Fandom Biography to the bad_penny community on JournalFen.
- July 27-30: The fancon Lumos is held in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- May: Livejournal suspends over 500 users in Strikethrough, including Pornish Pixies. In most cases, the suspension is reversed, but many HP fans and communities look for alternative hosting sites.
- May 17-21: Phoenix Rising is held in New Orleans, Louisiana.
- July: The film version of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is released.
- July: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, the seventh and final novel, is published, instigating Potterdämmerung. Many characters die. Many fans ignore the epilogue, while others start creating Albus Severus/Scorpius and other Next Gen fanworks.
- July: Sectus is held in London, England.
- August: Prophecy is held in Toronto, Ontario.
- October: J.K. Rowling sues Harry Potter Lexicon creater Steve Vander Ark for attempting to publish a print version of the website, initiating the Harry Potter Lexicon Trial.
- July 10-13: The fan con Portus  is held in Dallas, Texas.
- July 25-27: The academic? conference Accio  is held in Oxford, England.
- August 7-11: The fan con Terminus (2008)  is held in Chicago, Illinois.
- May 21-24: The first LeakyCon is held.
- July: The film version of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is released.
- July: The fan con Azkatraz is held.
- June: The Wizarding World of Harry Potter theme park opens to the public at Universal's Islands of Adventure in Orlando, Florida.
- July 15-18: The fan con Infinitus is held in Orlando, Florida.
- November: The film Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part I is released.
- April 28-May 1: The fan convention Aeternitas  is held in Laconia, New Hampshire.
- June 16-19: The fan convention Lubricus is held.
- July: The film Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part II is released. Various mainstream media outlets publish a number of accounts that reference HP fans and fan activity, including The Boy Who Lived Forever by Lev Grossman.
- July 31: Pottermore opens registration for its limited beta release.