Timeline of Fandom on LiveJournal
|See also:||Livejournal, Fandom and the Internet|
Click here for related articles on Fanlore.
One major phase of online fandom organization has centered on the site Livejournal. The site has had a huge impact on the structure of online fandom, and its changes of ownership, policy, and usability have generated lots of wank and fandom projects.
Wanks and other Dramatic Events
- 2005: LiveJournal was sold to Six Apart
- May 2006: Nipplegate
- May 2007: Strikethrough
- 2007: Boldthrough
- January-May 2009: RaceFail '09
- March, April, July 2011: The Great LJ DDOS of 2011
- December 2011: Release 88 . Before the release, SUP staffer igrick announced on his Russian-language LJ that soon it would no longer be possible to give comments a subject line and that existing subject lines in old posts would disappear. This was listed as "non-negotiable." Many fans immediately commented to explain the importance of subject lines to fannish communities such as RPers, kink memes, and anon memes. See also rollback88.
- June 2014: Subject lines for comments returned 
Coms and fandom usage of LJ
- fkcommentfic - 17 July 2011 to present
- fkficfest - 11 October 2009 to present
- maryrenault - 28 September 2005 to present
- maryrenaultfics - 8 June 2004 to present
- "Soon-to-be-implemented changes in lj comments: no more subject line" thread at Fail-Fandomanon, 12 Dec 2011 (Accessed 15 Dec 2011)
- Livejournal to do away with subject line in comments post by heeroluva, 12 Dec 2011. (Accessed 15 Dec 2011)
- Oh, LJ post by havocthecat, 13 Dec 2011. (Accessed 15 Dec 2011)
- Новый ЖЖ. Шаг первый — комментарии - original post by igrick from 12 Dec 2011, with an English-language addendum from a day or two later that says "A note to users of RP, Meme and other communities, where subject line is crucial for operation: for the moment we are developing only standard commenting representation, well know in LiveJournal as S1 styles, but we will keep subject lines, both in terms of form and representation, in advanced — S2 — styles, and provide an ability to keep it forever for certain communities, as well as, by request, will develop an extra functionality for such communities thru OpensSocial applications going public next year." (Accessed 15 Dec 2011)