|Scope/Focus:||The Beatles real-person fiction|
|Date(s):||1960s - present|
|See also:||John Lennon|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
The Beatles were an incredibly popular English band from the 1960s. The fandom, one that was started in Liverpool, while they were still the Quarrymen, is a long-enduring one, riddled with folklore, legend and other stories. It is often considered a sub-category of the Classic Rock fandom, but also a standalone fandom as well. Related fandoms are the Who, the Rolling Stones, the Classic Rock fandom, and the Monkees fandom. While it has a massive prevalence all across the globe, one of its strongest concentrations among young people is on the micro-blogging platform Tumblr. It has organized itself much like popular media fandoms, with overarching big-name fans and several fandom-specific memes.
There was a Beatles RPF fandom as far back as the late '60s, but that community didn't overlap or connect very much with science fiction or media fandom, and not much is known about the players, fanworks or fan activities of the community. However, in her widely reprinted article, "Beatlemania: A Sexually Defiant Consumer Subculture", Barbara Ehrenreich describes and analyzes aspects of 1960s Beatles fandom that make it seem interestingly analogous to certain aspects of fannish practices today.
There are several small archives and communities recording Beatles Slash (their preferred term over Beatles RPF) as a branch of media fandom in the internet era.
Beatles RPF was also present on FanFiction.Net but was removed in September 2001 after FanFiction.net banned Music Fan Fiction.
- Beatles Slash YahooGroup Mailing List, founded 19 Jan 2001
- Beatles Slash Livejournal Community, earliest post, 2 Jan 2001, continuous posting from April 2003. Over a thousand members as of access date 12 July 2009. (profile contains links to several other livejournal communities devoted to specific pairings of Beatles Slash)
- Two of Us, a small archive site.
- Abbey Way on archive.org, a fic archive which ran from 2002 to 2006 and contained 72 stories at last record of Internet Archive.
- Savoy Truffle, a small archive, last updated 2002.
- Oh, Darling!, a fic archive containing 772 stories, last updated 2005.
- Rooftop Sessions, a fanfiction e-zine that will only accept het or gen material. Last updated 2006, seven e-zines published. epub versions were made available here (now offline).
- The Beatles: Live at 12 Cold Creek Street a self-published novel by Tina Kulka. Originally posted online.
- our beatles fanfiction! a tumblr blog
Professional Beatles RPF
- 1978 film I Wanna Hold Your Hand, essentially a Mary Sue story in which several American teenagers attempt to sneak into the Beatles' hotel room in 1964.
- 1991 film The Hours and Times, a fictionalized account of John Lennon and Brian Epstein in Spain together in 1963.
- 2000 novella Plastic Jesus by Poppy Z. Brite, which postulates a love affair between a thinly disguised Lennon and McCartney.
Brian Epstein, Cynthia Lennon, Derek Taylor, Dhani Harrison, George Harrison, John Lennon, Julian Lennon, Linda Eastman, Mal Evans, Neil Aspinall, Paul McCartney, Peter Brown, Ringo Starr, Sean Lennon, Stella McCartney, Yoko Ono
Communities, Mailing Lists, & Forums
- The Beatles Fan Fiction Directory, an LJ community with an archive by the same name. As of 2011, 261 stories archive, both slash and het
Some Fannish Reactions to RPF/RPS
Shortly after FanFiction.net's removal of Beatles fan fiction, several threads appeared on the topic at the Beatle Links forum. One can be read here. The responses were mixed with many titled against genre.
This of course, did not stop fans from writing, reading and celebrating, their love of RPF/RPS.