|Creator:||Jason Rothenberg (TV series)|
Kass Morgan (Author)
|Date(s):||September 3, 2013 - present (book series)|
March 19, 2014 – present (TV series)
|Medium:||live-action television series|
|Country of Origin:||United States|
|External Links:||Wikipedia official website IMDB|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
- Are you looking for something else? See 100 for disambiguation.
The 100 is set 97 years after a devastating nuclear war wiped out almost all life on Earth. The supposedly only known survivors are the residents of "The Ark", twelve space stations in Earth's orbit that had banded together after the war. After the Ark's life-support systems are found to be failing, the 100 juvenile prisoners are declared to be "expendable" and are then sent down to Earth to determine if it is indeed habitable again. They land on Earth and find that they are able to breathe. They form a community under the leadership of Bellamy Blake, who had stowed away in order to be with his sister, Octavia. Although eventually Bellamy and Clarke Griffin become co-leaders of the community, there is a lot of friction between them initially, which many fans see as the basis for a relationship between the two.
The kids quickly discover that they aren't the only survivors, forcing them to grow up fast. They struggle to survive on this new land with the other Earth survivors: "Grounders", "Reapers", and "Mountain Men".
- Clarke Griffin
- Octavia Blake
- Finn Collins
- Bellamy Blake
- Monty Green
- Jasper Jordan
- Raven Reyes
- Councilwoman Dr. Abigail Griffin
- Councilman Marcus Kane
- Chancellor Thelonius Jaha
- Kyle Wick
Due to Season 2's low ratings and fear that the show might be cancelled, many fans started promoting the show on Tumblr hoping to entice new fans to start watching, especially the Arrow fandom due to the show being on the same night as The 100. Various fanworks were created to attract possible new fans. The effort appeared to work because the series was renewed for a third season. Moreover, the show's introduction of Commander Lexa, and the subsequent chemistry between her and Clarke Griffin, drew many femslash fans to the show.
Racial Aspects of the Show
The fandom has been paying a lot of attention to the racial politics of The 100. Although many well-meaning fans have mentioned the fact that most main characters are people of color as a reason to watch the show, the fandom as a whole has begun to talk about the racist elements in the show. One meta, for example, focuses on The 100’s construction of race, pointing out that in not dealing with race at all, the show fails due to the disconnect between the non-racist world of the story and the very racist real world that show is produced in. Another meta focuses on the anti-blackness particularly displayed in the show.
Bellamy Blake/Clarke Griffin is the popular het pairing. Other common het pairings include: Octavia Blake/Lincoln, Abby Griffin/Marcus Kane, Finn Collins/Raven Reyes, Finn Collins/Clarke Griffin, Jasper Jordan/Octavia Blake. One of the more rarer ships is Bellamy Blake/Octavia Blake (brother/sister incest).
Femslash pairings were fairly rare in season 1; one of the more popular ships was Raven Reyes/Clarke Griffin, and another one of note was Anya/Clarke. Since the introduction of the canonically queer Commander Lexa, and Clarke Griffin's confirmed bisexuality, however, the fandom's interest in femslash pairings, especially between Clarke/Lexa increased dramatically.
Slash pairings are also fairly rare in the fandom; two of the original more popular slash ships were Monty Green/Jasper Jordan and Bellamy Blake/Finn Collins. Monty/Jasper remains popular, but the pairing of Monty Green/Nathan Miller and Bellamy Blake/John Murphy have surpassed Bellamy/Finn as time has passed.
Common Tropes and Fanon
- Episode Tags
- Alternate Universes
- The 100 is a story about...
- May We Meet Again by meabhdeloughry (Octavia, Clarke & Raven)
- The 100 gallery by samanthadoodles (various characters & Clexa pairing)
- Marcus Kane by tlaguz
- Emori by samanthalagace
- Lincoln bnw study by tlaguz
- what would clarke do? by ohlazarus
- this is war
- Ready. Aim. Fire. (1x13)
- Ready, Aim, Fire (1x13)
- Fire, Fire
- My Hurricane
- Ready or not (2x2)
- Everybody wants to rule the world
- and I wanna fight.
- empire of our own
- run boy run
- our tired souls
- and you sing
- Ready or not
- What Is The 100?
- come little children
Girls of The 100-focused vids:
Character focused vids:
- See also individual character pages for more.
Relationship focused vids:
- See also individual relationship pages for more.
- Bleeding out (Jasper/Monty)
- "It`s over, Finn" (Raven/Finn)
- closer (Octavia/Monty)
- the one to hold my heart (Octavia/Jasper)
- "I'm just trying to help." (Bellamy/Murphy)
Archives & Fannish Links
- The 100 tag
- The Hundred Ladies - dedicated to all the female characters
- monty-the-100 - Monty Green
- FuckYeahFinnCollins - Finn Collins
- the-100-femslash (all Femslash ships)
- FuckYeahLinctavias (Octavia/Lincoln)
- Clarke n Murphy (Clarke/Murphy)
- ‘The Flash,’ ‘The 100’ and even ‘Crazy Ex-Girlfriend’ renewed: All 11 CW series picked up for 2016-17 Accessed Sept. 11, 2016
- isobel-stevens explains the popular pairings of the fandom. Posted November 8, 2014. Accessed November 14, 2014.
- leepacey explains the characters/show Accessed November 24, 2014.
- graffitisouls explains why she thinks the show is the best Accessed November 26, 2014.
- Reasons to Watch the 100 Posted February 26, 2015, Accessed March 9, 2015
- More Reasons From Tumblr Posted May 20, 2015. Accessed November 2, 2015.
- Reasons to Watch The 100 Posted March 3, 2015. Accessed March 9, 2015
- Some Thoughts About The 100 and Race Posted March 4, 2015. Accessed on March 9 2015
- Anti-Blackness displayed in The 100 Posted March 3, 2015. Accessed March 9, 2015.
- Tumblr 2015 Year in Review: Most Reblogged Ships.