this page needs love! I feel like I've read material elsewhere on the wiki that could be copied here, but I'm not sure. A few things missing from this page:
- as I understand it, the media designation was originally intended to differentiate it from literary science fiction fandom. has there been any discussion about this that we could link to?
- the term itself is pretty broad, but the community of self-identifying media fans is pretty specific--fans who call themselves media fans are only a subset of the fans in fandoms designated as "media fandoms." YMMV, IMHO, etc.
- I see the term "western media fandom" used instead of Media Fandom a lot more now, possibly because I started reading ffa and arguments about anime fans' marginalization in the OTW. perhaps some meta/discussion points on this could be added.
- boundaries between media fandom and other fandoms before the internet vs. after the internet. we have a page for Fandom and the Internet, but it's more focused on tools.
- aja just posted this critique. it would be good to add multiple perspectives.
--æþel 03:48, 20 August 2012 (UTC)
a useful quote from the ffa thread talking about aja's post:I also really wish that everyone who is complaining about Media Fandom self-identifying that way would understand that it was a derogatory label slapped on the group by old-school SF fandom, which the TV show and movie fans then claimed as their own basically as an act of defiance (this was back when non-book fans were outnumbered, mostly new and so not in positions of power within existing fandom circles, and without the independent infrastructure that exists today).  Of course, in the same thread, they talk about how we cite them a lot, and then they cite us, so maybe this is getting a bit too recursive to be reliable. I swear I didn't look at the ffa thread before posting here yesterday.--æþel 01:58, 21 August 2012 (UTC)
right now discussion of the historical origins of media fandom is spread across several pages, and it would be good to consolidate, or at least split it in a way that makes sense. I think we should put as much as possible on the History of Media Fandom page and just link/summarize on the other pages, except maybe all the detailed quotes on the Star Trek page. I can get back to this later, but it would be awesome if someone was inspired to organize this. I think it would also help us figure out how to organize if there were more content on the history AFTER the sf/media split.
- History of Media Fandom
--æþel 16:08, 26 August 2012 (UTC)