|Alternative name(s):||S/Mc, Spones, Coyote|
|Fandom:||Star Trek: TOS|
|Canonical?:||No. However Spock and McCoy have a great deal of intense interaction, and in TOS the two are often framed together in scenes. The arguments are epic, very much like an old married couple.|
|Prevalence:||rare compared to Kirk/Spock, still bigger than some other pairings|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Spock/McCoy is a secondary pairing in TOS fandom.One fan explains the basis for the pairing:
From the Spock/McCoy Ship Manifesto:What is Spock/McCoy you ask?
Well, the short end of it is that Spock/McCoy is the idea that Mister Spock and Doctor McCoy from Star Trek: The Original Series are in love.
The long end of it begins the concept of love in all of its forms, compatability, and emotions never ending.
To explain quickly, it goes as follows. If a little boy on the playground teases a little girl, it usually indicates he has a crush on her. Logically speaking, and when considering this, when Dr. McCoy makes fun of Spock for his ears, he's actually telling him he loves him.
It's a strange concept, but when taken into those terms, it makes sense. They live together, they serve together, they help each other, they protect each other, and McCoy held Spock's katra.Simply said, they love each other."
"A sexual relationship between Spock and McCoy might be one of the most complicated topics of discussion in slash. Most people cannot agree that it would happen at all. It’s an easy task for most people to imagine McCoy as a lesser being, and Spock more highly. And because of this, people in S/Mc fandom have been known to overcompensate for McCoy, and sometimes to chastise Spock unnecessarily. It gets pretty messy. There have, at times, been divisions, viewing McCoy as the better partner, the more understanding, the more in love, and it is Spock who takes on the “jerk” role, but in discussions and fiction alike, this issue seems to have resolved itself, and is no longer a concern. Fandom has found its balance."
While some fans have reacted negatively to the pairing:
- "I just do not see this relationship... My reasons, briefly, are this: first on a purely personal note, I just don't fancy De Kelley (sorry, De), although I gather that he is a very nice person, and I find it hard to enjoy a sexy story where I can't appreciate both participants; second, the undertones of Kirk's teasing of Spock always seems to be affectionate, whereas I can often detect real animosity in McCoy (and who can forget or forgive his savage treatment of Spock in The Tholian Web"? OK, maybe he was mad... I realise the old adage is that opposites attract, but sometimes people disagree vehemently because they really do have opposing personalities/philosophies/lifestyles. Then there is the question of rank. Spock is McCoy's line manager, and I would be willing to bet Starfleet would soon stamp on that one. In fact I can see that as about the only legitimate objection ST fans could have to K/S in general, though special exceptions might be made in the case of Captains and Firsts, or they might have a serious morale problem on their hands!" 
Others have rejected criticisms of Spock/McCoy as limited and shortsighted:
- " I am multi-shipper friendly. I can't stand those that bash other pairings, try to make one pairing superior over the other, and write other ships as shit just for another pairing to happen. [On my fanfiction.net page] You can find various Star Trek 2009 fics with the pairings of Spock/Uhura, Kirk/McCoy, Kirk/Spock and Spock/McCoy..."
Some K/S fans found themselves in the ironic position of defending the traditional K/S stories from “out of character” premises. [need quote]In 1985, a K/S fan explained how Spock/McCoy would work for her:
My own personal prejudice cannot accept a Kirk-McCoy liaison. It simply does not work for me... but a Spock-McCoy is something different, for some reason. I can see happening between the last two ONLY if Spock, for some unfathomable reason, BELIEVE Jim wouldn't want him THAT WAY. 
A Place in Awards
[Note: was the pairing recognized in print fan fic awards? were there awards any for pairings or were there just general categories?]
Several fan historians have attempted to pin down the first Spock/McCoy story with little luck. The first Kirk/Spock/McCoy threesome story was "Between Friends" which is part of Gayle F.'s Cosmic Fuck series. It was published in Obsc'zine #3 in 1978.
Spock/McCoy Archives - Multi-Author
- Spiced Peaches (2005-2006) (online e-zine anthology and archive)
- In 2005 the first issue of Spiced Peaches, the first and only online Zine totally dedicated entirely to Spock/McCoy, was published by Tempest Coyote.
- As of 2012, Spiced Peaches is still going strong, and is nearing it's 30th issue. Spiced Peaches Issue 29
- The Spock/McCoyote's Den
- Spock/McCoy Haven
- The All-Ages Spock/McCoy Online Archive
- Trekiverse Spock/McCoy pairing tag
- Spock/McCoy on AO3
- Spock/McCoy Archive
Stories and Single Author Websites
- Cataclysmic Binaries by nemo_the_everbeing
- Impromptu Bondmates by nemo_the_everbeing
- The Other One by Greywolf the Wanderer
- Sugar Magnolia by Greywolf the Wanderer
- Ghosts by Jaye-Voy
- On Vulcan Genomic Engineering and Love by E.
- Fics by Jane Carnall
- Spock/McCoy stories by Amphioxious Obnoxious
- Spock/McCoy fics by Tempest
- Fics by Drusilla Dax
- Fascinating by Acidqueen
- Or The Doctor Gets It by tprillahfiction
- McCoySpockLove's youtube channel of S/Mc vids
- You Had a Bad Day by VenisKaio
- Sun to Me by VenisKaio
- Heartache by Lunamaie
- Fever by crappyvideospotter
- Calico Skies by SpockeMc
- Us by XxLeschaxX
- Screaming Silence by XxLeschaxX
- Ice by ArcadeHime
- U + Me by Darlapr0duction
- Lithium by Spirksbuttbaby
- Spock's Song by badvidhater
Before the Internet, Spock/McCoy fanart was vanishingly rare. Spock and McCoy were not usually depicted together in the same scene without at least Kirk also present, and almost never were they drawn into an unambiguously sexual or romantic scenario. Compare the few zine art examples below with the K/S art category on Fanlore, which contains over 300 images. Note that most of these images are from Mind Meld, officially a gen zine.
from Mind Meld #3, 1986. A typical gen depiction of The Big Three, based on a scene from the episode "The Trouble with Tribbles" where Spock pets a tribble. Even with the addition of McCoy (he was not present in the shot), his slash-bait expression of fond amusement is a straightforward representation of his canon attitude toward Spock.
from Mind Meld #4, 1987. Illustration accompanying a poem. Only the juxtaposition of the poem, in which an unidentified narrator declares his? admiration for Spock's music, with the images of McCoy smiling at something off-camera and Spock playing the Vulcan lute indicate that McCoy is actually gazing in admiration at Spock.
from Shades of Grey #3, 1988. A Spock/McCoy scene from a Kirk/Spock threesome anthology zine.
from Mind Meld #6, 1991. A tender moment whose intimacy is enhanced by shading with colored pencils to create an indistinct, dreamlike purple background and illuminated foreground that focuses the viewer's eye on the gentle touch of their hands. Slashy out of context, this art illustrates a scene from a gen story, Journey of a Soul.
from Spiced Peaches #4, 2006. Unambiguousy slashy art from an e-zine.
Post-Internet Fanart Examples
- spockmccoyhaven (link) - a Yahoo Group mailing list founded in 2002
- spockmccoy on LJ
- spockmccoy on Dreamwidth
- spockmccoy kink meme on LJ
- sponesvalentine - Spock/McCoy Valentine commmunity on LJ
- Fuck Yeah Spones tumblr