Sleepy Hollow (TV series)
|Creator:||Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci, Phillip Iscove, Len Wiseman|
|Date(s):||September 16, 2013 – present|
|Country of Origin:||United States|
|External Links:||Official Site Wiki page|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Sleepy Hollow is a Fox American fantasy mystery thriller adventure drama television series that premiered on September 16, 2013 starring Tom Mison as Ichabod Crane and Nicole Beharie as Lt. Abbie Mills that is about the retelling/reimaging of the Washington Irving's "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow".
During a mission for George Washington in 1781, Ichabod Crane "dies" during the battle against a mysterious horsemen whom he chops off its head after shooting it didn't work. He is reawaken in 2013 Sleepy Hollow, New York. But so does the Headless Horseman, who begins his nightly killing spree.
During his arrest, he is considered crazy by everyone except for Lt. Abbie Mills, who's currently investigating the horseman after he kills the Sheriff - her mentor and father-figure. She learns that the sheriff was hiding old case files that dealt with "unsolved" and "mysterious" case files, one of them being her own.
When Abbie Mills was a young girl she and her sister sneaked into the woods to drink beers. They disappeared for two days during which they blacked out. The only things both sisters remembered were four white trees and what appeared to be a demon, Moloch.
Sheriff Corbin believed there were two groups of witches still alive and working in Sleepy Hollow; one for good, the other evil. Ichabod learns that 250 years have passed since his "apparent death", so he has to deal with a great deal of differences of the 21st century. He also finds out during a vision from his wife, who is a witch, that Katrina isn't exactly dead, but is instead trapped in Purgatory by the demon Moloch.
Ichabod learns that the Headless Horseman is Death, one of the four horsemen of Apocalypse. And that if the horseman is not stopped, dark forces will affect the world. Ichabod partners with Abbie Mills in the battle stop the Headless Horseman from awakening the other three horsemen, the catalyst for the End of Days.
- Ichabod Crane - is a soldier from 1781 who was killed in battle is enchanted by his wife to awaken when Death did, which he does in 2013. He believes that he and Abbie were chosen as the Witnesses mentioned in the biblical book of Revelation the defeat the Headless Horseman and ultimately endure seven years of tribulations together in the journey to the End of Days.
- Lieutenant Abbie Mills - is a young police lieutenant who had been accepted to an FBI feeder program in Quantico before her partner and mentor was killed by the headless horseman. Though skeptical she feels a connection a with Ichabod and comes to believe him. She decides to stay in town to protect it against evil.
- Jennifer Mills - is Abbie's sister. She and Abbie saw a demon in the woods when they were younger. Unlike her sister, she did not deny it, and served time in a mental institution. It is later revealed that, at age 19, Jenny was possessed by a demon called Ancitif, who corrupted Jenny's mind with the desire to kill Abbie. After being exorcised by Sheriff Corbin, Jenny still had what she referred to as "evil thoughts". To prevent herself from acting on these thoughts, Jenny repeatedly broke laws so that she would be sent to jail and Abbie would be safe from her. Jennifer Mills has traveled the world in her own personal pursuit answers and to assist Sheriff Corbin with his case files. She has weapons and tactical training and has vast knowledge of the occult.
- Captain Frank Irving - is a police captain in the modern-day town of Sleepy Hollow. He is currently estranged from his wife Cynthia Irving and daughter Macey Irving due to too much time spent in police work. It is implied, that his own guilt in not being able to protect his daughter from a life-altering accident is the reason for this.
- Katrina Crane - is Ichabod's wife and a witch in the coven called the Sisters of the Radiant Heart. She was held captive by Moloch in Purgatory for 250 years. She visited Ichabod and Abbie in dreams to give them clues in their missions. She was held captive by her ex-fiance Abraham Van Brunt, who still harbors feelings for her. She was referred to by Moloch as one of the Hellfire Shards. She is now deceased. She was killed by her husband after she attempted to kill Abbie and Ichabod.
- Sheriff August Corbin - he isn't blind to the supernatural happenings in Sleepy Hollow. He convinces his protege Abbie to join the force prior to the beginning of the show. It is implied that both he and Reverend Knapp were looking after Abbie Mills because they had some inkling of her importance. He is killed by the Horseman of Death in the pilot of the show. He is survived by a son, Joe Corbin, who is currently in training to become an FBI agent thanks to a helpful push from Abbie Mills.
- Headless Horseman - he is Death (one of the four horsemen of the Apocalypse), whose head was chopped off by Ichabod and laid to rest for 250 years before being awoken. Before becoming Death, he was once Katrina's fiance, Abraham Van Brunt, who was devastated when Katrina broke their engagement. Upon discovering that Katrina had left him to be with Ichabod, his best friend, he became angry and attempted to kill him, only to die by the hand of invading Hessian soldiers whom later cursed him so as to become the first horseman.
- Luke Morales- he is a police officer in Sleepy Hollow and former lover of Abbie Mills. He still has feelings for Abbie Mills and is wary of how closely she and Ichabod are. He has been openly suspicious of the British man in strange clothes. He was possessed by the demon Ancitif, who then murdered his partner. His current status is unknown.
- Andy Brooks - he was an officer in Sleepy Hollow who was a friend of Abbie. However, he makes a deal with the demon Moloch, and he fails to complete his mission and is killed because of this failure by Moloch himself. He is later reanimated to help Moloch and to be a necromancer for the Horseman of Death. He is in love with Abbie, although his feelings are not reciprocated. He was last seen (appearing as a normal human) in Purgatory, where he assisted Abbie in contacting Ichabod in Moloch's lair, leading to her eventual escape.
- Caroline - she was a Revolutionary War reenactor and enthusiast, and Ichabod Crane's friend. She was a skilled seamstress, knowledgeable about the Revolutionary War period who was known to be blunt, but not unkindly so. She was drowned by The Weeping Lady. Before she was killed she gave Ichabod a gift of several pieces of hand-sewn period clothing and an embroidered pillow.
- Cynthia Irving - she is Frank Irving's wife (separated) and the mother of his daughter Macey. She is a lawyer. She is a pragmatic woman who puts her daughter first at all times.
- Macey Irving - she is the daughter of Frank and Cynthia Irving. Macey is a gifted teen who is taking advanced studies. She is sarcastic and sweet and normal teenaged intervals. She and father are close. He calls her his "little bean". A drunk driver hit her while she was walking a few years ago and now Macey is a paraplegic who uses a wheelchair. She misses walking of course, but she has proven to be a strong and resilient teen. She has noticed the connection between her father and Jennifer Mills.
- Henry Parish - later revealed to be Jeremy Crane, Ichabod's son, in addition to the Horseman of War (the second of the four horsemen of the Apocalypse), Henry is a Sin Eater. That is, he has the ability to see the sins of others and to physically and spiritually consume those sins to grant a person forgiveness. This ability became useful in breaking Ichabod's blood tie to the Headless Horseman. He is resentful of his parents for abandoning him and attempts multiple times to cause them pain and suffering. He is now deceased.
- Nick Hawley - is a black market antiques dealer and drifter. He is Jennifer Mills' former lover, who is characterized by his fickle romantic interests and gray morality. He is last seen near the end of the second season in the episode Kali Yuga, in pursuit of a cursed former associate.
Sleepy Hollow premiered in September 2013 to the highest ratings for a drama series on FOX in seven years. The diverse and loyal fandom, which had been anticipating it's debut from the moment the trailers circulated, were excited about seeing a black woman Nicole Beharie in a major leading role in genre programming. The chemistry between the two leads, the adept balancing act of charm and humor brought in by the other lead, Ichabod Crane Tom Mison, the show's wild premise, and uniquely caring handling of black women and characters of color quickly gained a loyal following.
The most popular pairing at present is Ichabod Crane/Abbie Mills with around 500 works dedicated to the ship at AO3 tag at AO3. Gen fic is also popular, although usually it also focused on Abbie and Ichabod. Other popular characters in fanon are Abraham Von Brunt, Jennifer Mills, Frank Irving, Luke Morales, Big Ash, and Andy Brooks (among others).
Major meta issues that arise around the Ichabbie pairing include the controversy surrounding parts of fandom's reluctance to adopt an interracial pairing involving a black woman.
There are also questions regarding the misogynistic characterization of Katrina (now deceased) who was featured prominently in the second season as a central character with very little agency, very few actions completed without problems, a stagnant and circular storyline, and a lot of damseling.
This was a major issue in fandom along with the sidelining and erasure of popular characters of color from the first season, including Andy Brooks, Luke Morales, Frank Irving, Cything Irving, Jennifer Mills (Nick Hawley was seen to be replacing her, as they had similar skills while he has more facetime) and the lead Abbie Mills.
This spawned the successful  twitter campaign. Started by tumblr used allerasphinx, the hashtag trend caught on and became an avenue through which fans were able to express their dissatisfaction with the sidelining of Abbie Mills and the general direction of season two.
- Sleepy Heads - name for participants in the Sleepy Hollow fandom.
- Ichabbie - is the pairing name for Abbie/Ichabod.
- Lukabbie - is the pairing name for Nick Morales/Abbie Mills.
- Craving - is the pairing name for Ichabod/Irving.
- Jirving and Mr. and Mrs. BAMF - are the pairing names for Jennifer Mills/Frank Irving
- Ichatrina - is the pairing name for Ichabod/Katrina.
- Katless - the pairing name for Katrina and Headless
- She and He by CreepingMuse
- Point of No Return by JWAB
- Stay by sneetchstar
- Entwinging Threads by FateChica
- Shoqed by Ambrosia Jones
- Our Destinies Entwined
- Sleepy Hollow Hub
- Fox's Official Sleepy Hollow Tumblr
- Letters Between Abbie Mills and Ichabod Crane
- RPF Ask Blog for Ichabod Crane and Abbie Mills