|Synonyms:||shipwar, shipping war|
|See also:||shipping, OTP|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
(n.) A heated disagreement between two or more groups of shippers. Unlike your garden variety of wank, ship wars span a long time (often years) and involve many people in their fandom. Symptoms of a ship war include:
- rants, both of the "we're obviously right" and "why can't we all write our porn and get along" kinds
- long-winded essays trying to prove canonicity or superiority of the preferred ship (sometimes going overboard and claiming every scene with one or both of the characters as proof, in a very convoluted, Dan Brown fashion) or pointing the flaws in similar essays by rival shippers
- a refusal to quiet down till well after the canon is closed
- the Harmonians incident in Harry Potter
- the Ray Wars in due South
- Clana/Lana Lang war in Smallville?
- Caryl vs Bethyl conflict in The Walking Dead fandom
- For a time, at the beginning of The Originals, Klaroline shippers were involved in quite a vocal conflict with other fans of the show (and the character of Klaus) due to potential love interests being introduced. This resulted in severe hate being directed at the characters of Hayley Marshall and Camille O'Connell and the actresses portraying them.
- Westallen vs. Snowbarry in CW's The Flash fandom