We Invented the Remix... Redux
|Name:||We Invented the Remix...Redux, Remix/Redux|
|Moderator(s):||Musesfool, Amberlynne, Devildoll, Girlinthetrilby, Laurificus, Mousapelli, ?|
|Associated Community:||Remixer's Lounge|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
The challenge began on Unfitforsociety.net in 2003 but moved to Illuminatedtext.com for 2004-2006. In 2007, challenge works were archived at remix_redux on Livejournal, in 2008 at remixredux08, and in 2009 at remixredux09. Challenge posting then moved to Archive of Our Own in 2010 to make running the challenge easier on the moderator.
Why am I planning on doing this? Because while Remix isn't the size of Yuletide, it is probably the second-largest (after Yuletide) multifandom anonyfest for LJ-based fandom. There are regularly between 250 and 300 people involved (factoring in pinch hitters who don't officially sign up), and at least 50 fandoms each year. So it's big, and the old database is creaky, and while the LJ setup has worked pretty well, considering, it also requires unlocking by hand every story when the archive goes live, moderator involvement in making sure tags are uniform, people who neglect to put their names on when the author reveals happen, and various other things that cause a lot of work for me and the folks who help me. I am fundamentally lazy, and I have less time these days for fannish stuff, so making the minutiae of administration easier gets two big thumbs up from me. ~Musesfool
Admin was originally organized via email and the website on Unfitforsociety, but it moved to remixredux on Livejournal for 2004-2006. From 2007 on, Remixer's Lounge was the organizing community for the challenge, though remixredux, remixredux08, and remixredux09 included key admin posts that were generally mirrored at Remixer's Lounge.
Limited time anonymity of the writers has always been part of the challenge. Various methods of posting have been used to achieve that.
Originally, stories were emailed to the moderator, who withheld author names until a specified date, then edited the website to add them. From 2007-2009, posters used sockpuppet accounts set up by the mods to post their works anonymously to Livejournal communities. In 2010, the challenge moved to AO3, which allowed it to use the challenge code developed for Yuletide to hide authors for the first week.
Dates and Participation
|We Invented the Remix...Redux||2003||?||?||?||?||73||?||?|
|Remix/Redux II: Electric Bugaloo||2004||Jan 9-30||May 1||May 15||May 21||147||155||32|
|Remix/Redux III: Reloaded||2005||Jan 24-Feb 3||Mar 15||Mar 20||Mar 25||160||166||45|
|Remix/Redux IV: I Know What You Did Last Remix||2006||Jan 29-Feb 3||Mar 20||Mar 26||Apr 2||305||325||55|
|Remix/Redux V: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut||2007||Jan 29-Feb 12||Apr 14||Apr 22||Apr 29||318||325||77|
|Remix/Redux 6: There Are Many Copies...
And They Have a Plan
|2008||Feb 18-23||Apr 12||Apr 19||Apr 26||255||270||50|
|Remix/Redux 7: Do you feel lucky?||2009||May 31-June 6||July 12||July 19||July 26||230||235||64|
|Remix/Redux 8: Magic Eight Ball||2010||Mar 21-31||May 16||May 23||May 30||274||277||54/151|
Please note that challenge names are not consistently formatted. This table uses Remix/Redux versions and leaves off the "We Invented the" parts, which were sometimes used in early challenges.
There was no challenge run in 2013.
There are two different fandom numbers for the years the challenge ran on AO3. The first is the number of eligible fandoms that were requested, which are listed on the signup form. The second is the total number of fandoms tagged on all works in that year's challenge.
RemixRedux was originally limited to FPF. However, in 2010 it switched over to allow RPF because the original "We Invented the Remix" challenge had stopped running. It is multi-fandom, but participants must have a minimum number of stories in certain popular fandoms to make matching easier for the moderators. Otherwise, the rules are similar to the original challenge, with some modifications added over the years.
As the challenge became more popular, the moderator tried various methods to ensure that everyone had a match. One was to require that writers in fandoms relatively unknown to the challenge (for example, anime/manga fandoms) brought friends with them who were in those fandoms. In 2007, the minimum number of works in a single fandom was raised to 5 (of 500 words or more).
- (admin) Remix/Redux 6 Sign-ups Open "People can sign up for the challenge until 11:59 PM EST February 23. Assignments will be handed out no later than March 1. And then the stories aren't due until 11:59 PM EST April 12." "This year, everyone must have written five stories in at least one of the qualifying fandoms (there are approximately 40 qualifying fandoms--see the sign-up form for the list; obscure and/or smaller, yuletide-type fandoms are not among them. Sorry. You can still remix/be remixed in a small fandom, but you must have written in/wish to write in at least one medium-to-large size fandom listed to participate)." Posted Jan. 29, 2008. Accessed Oct. 2, 2013.
- Remix eventually moving to AO3 Posted Jan. 3, 2010. Accessed March 13, 2014.
- Remix/Redux V: Changes and new rules and tentative timeline "This year, there will be a Remix/Redux community on LJ, and you will be posting your own stories to the community. I will be creating a number of sockpuppet LJs (remixer1, remixer2, etc.) for people to use to post, so anonymity can be maintained. When you are ready to post, you will notify me, and I will send you a username and password to use." "as of this year, to participate, one will need five (5) stories of at least 500 words in at least one (1) fandom to participate." "Remember, if you are in a small or a really new fandom, you will have to recruit people who have written in that fandom to come with you, so that you will have someone to remix in your chosen fandom" Posted Jan. 5, 2007. Accessed Oct. 2, 2013.
- Registration closed. Remix to begin soon... "147 people signed up, which means that the number of people participating this year is *double* what we had last year (73, for those of you as inept at math as I am)." Posted Jan. 30, 2004. Accessed Oct. 2, 2013.
- Basic rules and sign up information (Remix/Redux II) "Assignments will be handed out by February 1, probably sometime in the evening. And then the stories aren't due until 11:59 PM EST April 17." "Please note that this version is for FPF only. No RPF will be accepted." "This is a multifandom challenge, so everyone from XF to DS to HP and beyond should join in." Posted Jan. 9, 2004. Accessed Oct. 2, 2013.
- Remix deadline extended to May 1 "Okay, due to the overwhelming 74 in favor v. 1 opposed in the poll, I am extending the Remix/Redux deadline to May 1, with the stories going live by May 15, with feedback form attached, and a little searchable database etc., because Diebin is a goddess." Posted Apr. 14, 2004. Accessed Oct. 2, 2013.
- Remix...Redux II: Electric Boogaloo: Open for Business "The Archive is open. 155 stories (um, give or take. Math is not my strong suit) in 32 fandoms from Alias to X-Men, and many more in between." "the authors will remain anonymous until oh, Friday (I think)." Posted May 15, 2004. Accessed Oct. 2, 2013.
- We Invented the Remix...Redux III: Reloaded - Registration OPEN "People can sign up for the challenge until 11:59 PM EST February 3." "And then the stories aren't due until 11:59 PM EST March 15." Posted Jan. 24, 2005. Accessed Oct. 2, 2013.
- Remix/Redux III: Reloaded - Open for Business "166 stories in 45 (or so) fandoms from Alias to X-Men, and many more in between." Posted March 20, 2005. Accessed Oct. 2, 2013.
- Remix...Redux III: Authors revealed "The veil of Remix anonymity has been lifted, so feel free to lay claim publicly to the story you wrote and brag, and also to answer any feedback you received." Posted March 25, 2005. Accessed Oct. 2, 2013.
- Remix/Redux III: Reloaded - Assignments sent out "I've just sent out all 160 assignment emails." Posted Feb. 5, 2005. Accessed Oct. 2, 2013.
- We Invented the Remix...Redux IV: Registration Open "People can sign up for the challenge until 11:59 PM EST February 3." "And then the stories aren't due until 11:59 PM EST March 20." Posted Jan. 29, 2006. Accessed Oct. 2, 2013.
- Remix/Redux IV: Archive Open "325 stories in 55 (or so) fandoms from Alias to X-Men, and many more in between. This year we have poetry, play and graphic entries, as well." Posted Mar 26, 2006. Accessed Oct. 2, 2013.
- (admin) All is revealed "Authors' names are now up at the archive" Posted Apr 2, 2006. Accessed Oct. 2, 2013.
- Assignment emails have all been sent "All the assignment emails (305!" Posted Feb. 6, 2006. Accessed Oct. 2, 2013.
- (admin) Remix/Redux V Signups Open "Sign-ups have been extended until 11:59 pm EST Monday, February 12." Posted Jan. 29, 2007. Accessed Oct. 2, 2013.
- Remix/Redux V Archive Open for Business "The Archive is open. 325 stories in 77 (or so) fandoms" Posted Apr. 22, 2007. Accessed Oct. 2, 2013.
- (admin) authors' names revealed Posted Apr. 29, 2007. Accessed Oct. 2, 2013.
- (admin) Remix/Redux 6: Archive Open for Business "The Archive is open. 270 stories in 50 (or so) fandoms" Posted Apr. 19, 2008. Accessed Oct. 2, 2013.
- (admin) Let all be revealed Posted Apr. 26, 2008. Accessed Oct. 2, 2013.
- Remix/Redux 7 Sign-ups Open "People can sign up for the challenge until 11:59 PM EDT June 6, 2009. Assignments will be handed out no later than June 13, 2009. And then the stories are due at 11:59 PM EDT July 12, 2009." Posted May 31, 2009. Accessed March 13, 2014.
- Remix/Redux 7: Archive Open for Business "235 stories in 65 (or so) fandoms", posted July 19, 2009. Accessed March 13, 2014.
- All is revealed Posted July 26, 2009. Accessed March 13, 2014.
- Remix/Redux 8 Signups Open Posted March 21, 2010. Accessed March 13, 2014.
- Remix...Redux 8: Magic Eight Ball Profile may not include individuals who signed up and then requested to drop before matching. It also doesn't include pinch hitters. Accessed March 13, 2014.
- Schedule changes! Posted April 7, 2010. Accessed March 13, 2014.
- [ ] "" Posted . Accessed Oct. 2, 2013.
- We Invented the Remix FAQ Posted Jan. 2004. Accessed Oct. 2, 2013.
- A few clarifications "Obscure fandoms are great and all, but if you sign up looking to write in an obscure fandom, you MUST bring people with you who have written in that fandom (three or more stories so you have something to choose from), or there will be nothing for you to remix. Your best bet is to list at least one major fandom (HP, Jossverse, SGA, etc.) that you are willing to write in, in addition to your obscure fandoms. This goes especially for animanga fandoms, with which I am almost wholly unfamiliar." Posted Feb. 1, 2006. Accessed Oct. 2, 2013.