|Synonyms:||rare pairing, uncommon pairing|
|See also:||ibara, crossover pairing|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
A rarepair is a term for a pairing or ship that is rare in a fandom. It is not featured in many fanworks, or may be numerous in size but make up a only small proportion of the overall total. A rare pair may be canon but is often not. Some pairings may be shipped by a lot of fans but be uncommon in fanworks. A rarepair may be a fan's OTP or just shipped on the side.
Reasons for a pairing being uncommon include lack of screentime or interaction in canon, one or both characters being unpopular in fandom, being a crossover ship or featuring an unpopular relationship dynamic (for example age difference or incest), or the fandom base itself being made up of people who prefer a different kind of ship - for example a rare het pairing in a m/m slash-heavy fandom.
Examples of rarepairs
- Scully/Krycek in The X-Files
- Rodney/Ronon in Stargate Atlantis
- Inui/Ryouma in Prince of Tennis
- Starsky/Huggy Bear or Hutch/Huggy Bear in Starsky & Hutch
- Works tagged Rare Pairing on Archive of Our Own
- Small fandom and rare pairing drabblethon
- Small Fandom and Rare Pairing/Rarely-Written Character Promote-a-thon
- Rare Pair Fest (link) exchange onLiveJournal and AO3