|Synonyms:||roleplaying game, role play, RP, RPG|
|See also:||LARP, Celebrity RPG, Fandom RPG|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Fans who roleplay (RP) take the parts of the characters within a game, reacting as the character would to new situations and conversations.
Roleplaying games include:
- tabletop games such as Dungeons and Dragons
- LARPs (Live Action RPGs) such as Vampire / Minds Eye Theater
- online games such as EverQuest, which eventually became MMORPGs (Massively Multiplayer Role-Playing Games) such as World of Warcraft
- video games such as Xenosaga
- cosplay, dressing in costume as characters from a book, movie, manga or other source text
- text RPGs
Interactive Unstructured Text RPGs
Character or Fandom RPGs are text-based free-form games in which the players take on an identity and interact as if they were that person. Popular platforms have included Instant Messaging and LiveJournal; as of 2012, Tumblr and Twitter are major sites of RP activity.
Celebrity RPGs are similar, but instead of characters, the players take the names and personalities of celebrities.
- Gen Con
- Dragonmeet (London UK)
- Continuum (Leicester UK)
- UK RPG Convention Calendar by Phil Masters
Gaming cons often have tournaments, some of which are sponsored by the publishing company or official fan clubs; others are run by the convention itself with house rules for points and whatever prizes are available.