|Synonyms:||roleplaying game, role play, RP, RPG|
|See also:||LARP, Celebrity RPG, Fandom RPG|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Fans who roleplay (RP) take the parts of the characters within a game, reacting as the character would to new situations and conversations.
Roleplaying games include:
- tabletop games such as Dungeons and Dragons
- online games such as EverQuest, which eventually became MMORPGs (Massively Multiplayer Role-Playing Games) such as World of Warcraft
- video games such as Xenosaga
- cosplay, dressing in costume as characters from a book, movie, manga or other source text
- text RPGs
Interactive Unstructured Text RPGs
Character or Fandom RPGs are text-based free-form games in which the players take on an identity and interact as if they were that person. Popular platforms have included Instant Messaging and LiveJournal; as of 2012, Tumblr and Twitter are major sites of RP activity.
Celebrity RPGs are similar, but instead of characters, the players take the names and personalities of celebrities.
Gaming cons often have tournaments, some of which are sponsored by the publishing company or official fan clubs; others are run by the convention itself with house rules for points and whatever prizes are available.
- A History of Role-Playing, Places to Go, People to Be © 1998
- Wikipedia:MUD and Wikipedia:MOO
- Aelyria founded June 2, 1989