- "Role-Playing" redirects here. For the Doctor Who zine, see Role-Playing (Doctor Who zine).
|Synonyms:||roleplaying game, role play, RP, RPG|
|See also:||LARP, Celebrity RPG, Fandom RPG|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
A role-playing game or RPG is a game in which the players take on the role of a character. Roleplaying games include:
- tabletop games such as Dungeons and Dragons
- LARPs (Live Action Role Play) such as Vampire / Minds Eye Theater
- online games such as EverQuest, which eventually became MMORPGs (Massively Multiplayer Role-Playing Games) such as World of Warcraft
- video games such as Xenosaga
- text RPGs
Roleplaying can also take place in less structured environments. For example, cosplay involves both dressing in costume and acting the part.
Interactive Unstructured Text RPGs
Character or Fandom RPGs are text-based free-form games in which the players take on an identity and interact as if they were that person. Popular platforms have included Instant Messaging and LiveJournal; as of 2012, Tumblr and Twitter are major sites of RP activity.
Celebrity RPGs are similar, but instead of characters, the players take the names and personalities of celebrities.
- Gen Con
- Dragonmeet (London UK)
- Continuum (Leicester UK)
- UK RPG Convention Calendar by Phil Masters
Gaming cons often have tournaments, some of which are sponsored by the publishing company or official fan clubs; others are run by the convention itself with house rules for points and whatever prizes are available.