|See also:||Fannish Dolls, fanart, fancraft|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Paper Dolls are fannish creations that appear mostly in print zines.
Some Examples of Zines in Which Paper Dolls Appear
- The Terrible Zodin contains paper dolls of Leela, the Tenth Doctor, Captain Jack, Victoria, Donna, Sarah Jane Smith, Jamie McCrimmon, Ace, Raggedy Doctor and Amy, and Zoe (Doctor Who)
- Mister Density #2, Crispin Glover paper dolls
- Kirk/Spock Erotic Paper Dolls, Star Trek: TOS)
- Organia has a section called "Our Children's Children" that contained puzzles, coloring art and cut out paper dolls, Star Trek: TOS & Star Wars)
- Legends of Light includes a Leia paper doll and costumes, (Star Wars)
- Science Friction contains paper dolls, including a Lwaxana paper doll collection, (Star Trek: TNG)
- The Penny Paradox contains a Buckaroo Banzai paper doll
- Sandford Police Archives contains a Nicholas paper doll, (Hot Fuzz)
- Snupineer Fun Time Activity Book, (Harry Potter)
- Deephollow Delver has a Bilbo Baggins paper doll, (Tolkien)
- Alien Brothers contains Kirk and Spock paper dolls with cross-dressing outfits
Paper Dolls in Electronic Formats/Online
- mutecornett made a .pdf/.psd full colour paper doll of Lex Luthor for astolat's Smallville story Moving On, with the many different outfits he wears in that story.
- Pixel-based dress-up dolls were once extremely popular in many anime fandoms, most notably Sailor Moon. In the early 1990's, Japanese fans created a special format just for creating these electronic dress-up dolls and sharing them with each other. They called it Kisaeke Set System, or KiSS. Some KiSS creators made non-fannish dolls, but a huge component of KiSS's popularity were fan-made dolls. KiSS spread into Western fandom as non-Japanese fans made dolls based not just on their favorite anime, but also comics, TV shows, and musicians. Eventually, though, the format fell out of favor as the tools to view and create KiSS dolls became outdated. The largest archive of KiSS dolls is OtakuWorld's KiSS Doll Library, where the dolls are primary organized by fandom. Notable examples of fannish dolls include Male and Female Ranma by Dov Sherman (Ranma 1/2), Legolas by Aragonite (Lord of the Rings), and Utena and Anthy by Nakama KiSS Group, Jade Gordon, and Satori (Revolutionary Girl Utena).
Paper Dolls in Fanfic
- Eildon Rhymer's SGA stories See John Run and Hello, Rodney! include as "ideas for extension activities for parents and teachers" suggested templates for a John Sheppard dress-up doll, a whumpable Sheppard puppet, and possible "Battleship" and pop-up book versions of Ronon Dex where the aim is to find his hidden knives.
"Paper Dolls" (Kirk and Spock) by Kayleen Sybrandt from Alien Brothers
"Leela" paper doll from The Terrible Zodin #1
more clothes for the Capt Jack doll, The Terrible Zodin #2
Pajama outfits for the Snupineer Fun Time Activity Book dolls
Teaching outfits for the Snupineer Fun Time Activity Book dolls
from Trekkie Toons
The Professionals paper dolls, fanwork by an unknown artist, "horse for Doyle"