International Star Trek Convention
|Star Trek Convention|
|Name:||International Star Trek Convention|
|Location:||at the Statler Hilton in New York City, also in Philadelphia and Washington|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
International Star Trek Convention was a for-profit Star Trek con. It was run by Al Schuster, a former member of the committee that ran Star Trek Lives!, the first major Star Trek convention, which also happened to be known as "the international Star Trek convention." Al Schuster went on to organize similar events in Philadelphia and Washington.
International Star Trek Convention 1975 was held on January 10-12, 1975 at the Statler Hilton in New York City, the same hotel as the original Star Trek Lives convention. That year, the Star Trek Lives! convention was called "1975 Star Trek Convention" and was held at a different hotel a month later. Al Schuster was able to secure William Shatner's attendance even though the 1975 Star Trek Convention had booked him to appear at their event one month later. Luckily, both events did well.
International Star Trek Convention 1976 was held on Jan 15-18, 1976 at the New York Hilton at the Rockefeller center. It faced competition from Lisa Boyton's New York Star Trek '76convention and The Committee Con all scheduled in New York within a two month period. The conflict was featured in an article published by the Lakeland Ledger on Feb 22, 1976. See gallery below. The event attracted only 4000 attendees and it lost money.
The Bi-Centenntial 10 Star Trek convention was held at the Statler Hilton on September 3-6, 1976.
-  and Fanac's International Star Trek Convention 1975 Page 1 photos
-  article from Toledo Blade, August 21, 1975
- A convention report in issue #23 of A Piece of the Action:"... reaction [to the convention] held last month in New York City was varied, and had much to do with whether one had attended a Star Trek convention previously." Some complaints were that there were too many children and neofans there, the same old topics were being rehashed, the lines were long, the con disorganized, the huckster room a "big barn," the costume call was "a disaster" ("some of the nudes were too fleshy for their costumes")...
- The Daily Scrapbook: 11/23/12 Star Trek Art and The rest of the program a blog post by a fan whose mother had taken her to the 1976 Bicentennial Star Trek convention, complete with photos and receipts for the hotel stay
-  clipping from the Sarasota Herald-Tribune, February 29, 1976
Click to see larger images
This newspaper article, detailing Al Shuster's removal of funds from the convention bank account, was printed on the back of the 1975 Committee Con program guide. Click to read.