A disambiguation page consists of links to two or more wiki pages with the same or similar titles.
Because only one page can have a given title, pages with similar titles are disambiguated to distinguish them from one another. (See Help:Naming Conventions.) However, the disambiguated titles may be difficult to search on. Disambiguation pages are then created to help readers find the right page. When the reader searches on the common term or phrase, they are directed to the disambiguation page, where they will find several options to choose from.
Note: In a few cases, one use of a generic term (e.g. Star Trek) is so overwhelmingly popular compared to the other uses that the disambiguation page is itself disambiguated! See Star Trek (disambiguation).
How do I create a disambiguation page?
- Create the page as usual
- Copy this template to the top of the page:
- Create a bulleted list of wikilinked page names, preferably with a short description of what they're about
- Save the page
Example Disambiguation PageThe disambiguation page for Closer looks like this:
The actual page names are different from what you currently see displayed on the Closer disambiguation page. Without special editing the page names look like this:
- This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the same title. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.
Are you looking for:
- Closer, a Kirk/Spock vid by TJonesy & Killa.
- Closer, a Spike/Angel vid by Sisabet.