|Moderators/List Maintainers:||Lisa McDavid/Don Fasig (current)|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
ForKNI-L is a mailing list devoted to the Forever Knight fandom. It has the distinction of being one of the first online fannish mailing lists, having been started on December 9, 1992 by Jean Prior, just a couple of months after Virgule Mailing List. Subsequent list owners include Laurie Salopek, Imajiru, and Lisa McDavid/Don Fasig (current).
During the early years of the list, when new episodes of Forever Knight were still being aired, there was an elaborate procedure in place to avoid revealing information to fans who might not yet have seen an episode. On 16 February 1995, a separate list (FKSPOILR) was created to simplify the procedure, making its official debut at 5:54 EST on February 23. After the final episode of the series was broadcast on 17 May 1996, the FKSPOILR list was closed on 11 June 1996.
Usage of Fan Terms
As a general rule, the Forever Knight fandom that centres on ForKNI-L (as opposed to FK fandom in other locations, such as LiveJournal or Fanfiction.net) continues to employ the following terminology, usually associated with older fandoms:
- "adult" fan fiction includes both het and slash, and is used to refer to stories that are more or less explicit.
- "slash" is used for both m/m and f/f.
- "adult" is sometimes contrasted with "gen", which includes non-explicit relationship-based fiction.
- originally "couple faction" was used to refer to romantic associations between characters; later both the terms "relationship" and "pairing" have been employed. (The term "'ship" is virtually unknown.)
Since August 2000, ForKNI-L posts have been archived by Nancy Braman on the website KnightWind's Nook. Also archived there are some of the posts from 1996, specifically for January and for April to June.
In addition, posts from 1 Jan 1998 to 7 February 1998 were archived on the defunct Knight's Loft website.
- The abbreviation of the name of the list is variously capitalized as ForKNI-L, ForKni-L, or FORKNI-L.