A bystander story is one told from the point of view of an outsider or third party to the action. Though the narrator is often an original character, such stories tend to avoid being labelled Mary Sues through focusing on canon characters and events, with the OC as a relatively passive lens. The bystander PoV may serve to highlight how unusual the canon characters' views are.
- Multifandom: A New POV: Bystander Stories - 2003 concept-based anthology fanzine.
- Angel: Light Walks by Sheila. The ordinary residents of LA during the eclipse.
- Angel: 40 Days of One Night Stands by Jennifer-Oksana. A neighbour overhearing Wesley and Lilah.
- Battlestar Galactica: When I Stop Counting The Days by hannahrorlove. Sharon through the missing year, as seen through the eyes of seven various characters. Pairing: Helo/Sharon. Words: 7500
- Blake's 7: Face In The Crowd by Manna. An everyman's view on the end of the series
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Four Ghosts by hollimichele. By the end of your sophomore year of high school, you're pretty sure that Sunnydale High is haunted. Words: 1237. Gen.
- Merlin: I'd Be Dropping No Eaves by ionaonie. The King and his advisors on a rare night off. Pairings: Arthur/Merlin, Gwen/Lancelot/Morgana
- Merlin: To Protect by anyssah. This is how Camelot protects Merlin. Words: 2293. Gen.
- Merlin: Walk of Shame by magog83. “I’ve heard it said he can level a castle with a flick of his hand.” Toby said in a hushed voice. Words: 658. Pairing: Arthur/Merlin
- One Direction/Radio 1 RPF: If These Ears Could Talk by LittleMousling. Thurston prefers the quiet life. Too bad he's living in Nick Grimshaw's flat right now. (The "bystander" here is a dog.)
- Sky High: Kissing Warren by Marie Suzzette. Warren attempts to reassure himself of his heterosexuality. Words: 902
- Stargate Atlantis: Blink (link) by lavvyan. cyberpunk AU fic told in first person from an OFC's perspective, written for McShep Match 2008.
- Starsky and Hutch: Someone Kneeling by Salieri - Starsky and Hutch in an alley, observed by someone else.
- Starsky and Hutch: The Rest of the Story by Audrey - A Los Angeles Times reporter comes calling, and finds plenty to write about as the boys investigate a series of murders.
- Supernatural: Accidental Documentaries by Tassos. Antonia is determined to make the best high school documentary ever, but the first few weeks of school bring to light more than expected when a freshman girl goes missing, the new kid Dean takes an interest, and old traumas may be the key to the present. Words: 53,211. Gen.
- Supernatural: The Brothers Wincester by ZanneS. Most people aren’t sure if the Winchester story is a tragedy, or a horrific fable shared to teach some moral lesson. Gen.
- Supernatural: Centuries of stony sleep were vexed to nightmare and sequel ... by a rocking cradle by britomart_is. The Apocalypse is kind of a sidenote to an unnamed OFC's quest to very pragmatically provide the Antichrist with an heir. Told in second person.
- Supernatural: Gods and Monsters by silverkit. A small girl and her somewhat baffled father take in an injured cat, who is shortly joined by another cat, of whom they can't figure out if it's his boyfriend or his brother.
- Teen Wolf: Private Eyes (They're Watching You) by prettyasadiagram. She wonders idly if Stiles is in the know about werewolves now, or if sometime when she wasn’t paying attention, Stiles suddenly got game. (Probably the former, she thinks, but the boy has always had potential.) Words: 1741. Pairing: Derek/Stiles
- Teen Wolf: You Have To Go To Them Sometimes by kellifer_fic. "Well, you're a werewolf," Stiles says. Kevin has always had a pretty good poker face, but Stiles takes him completely by surprise, enough that there's a tell-tale pause that lasts a beat too long for the, "No I'm not," to be believed. Words: 4534. Gen.