|URL:||bandflesh at journalfen|
Click here for related articles on Fanlore.
According to the Fan History Wiki, the original community was created on GreatestJournal on 5 June 2007 as an offshoot of lol_meme and moved to JournalFen on 10 December 2007. The anonmeme probably moved to band_flesh on February 14, 2009, and the last post in band_flesh was in April 2010. The community went offline with the rest of JournalFen around April? 2015--some posts appear in the Wayback Machine, but the threaded comment discussions were mostly not saved.
Bandflesh included many in-jokes, overuse of capslock, post spelled as poast, commentfics, reviews of Bandom Big Bang fanfics, and many other things that have been lost. The community's name was originally "a typo or autocorrect for 'bandslash' that became an in-joke."
As of 2008, bandflesh was mostly friendslocked, with all RP posts and discussion posts after reaching the comment limit being locked due to "being linked by a celebrity gossip blog early in our lifespan. That definitely made us less eager to be public knowledge." In early days, all community members were effectively mods and had the password; this backfired later when someone used the password to delete all archived discussions.
From the community info page, circa August 2008:
We the fleshers, of these united memes, hold these truths to be self-evident and do solemnly swear to be awesome, to mass friend any outed fleshers, and to badger all our regular role players into playing if no substitution can be found within a proper time. (LOL IMPATIENT!)
The first rule of Fight Club is that you don't talk about Fight Club.
Amendment 1: PORN.
Amendment 2: LOL OVERINVESTED.
Amendment 3: Write those fics you promised. (Unless you're me.)
Amendment 4: Fleshers shall make no law respecting an establishment of tinhattedness, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of saying, "MOAR, MOAR, MOAR," or of picspams; or the right of the people wankily to assemble, and to petition bandflesh for a redress of grievances (to which bandflesh may reply, "LOL SENSITIVE").
Amendment 5: FAIL!RAY IS FAILING!
Amendment 5b: FAIL!JAMES DEWEES IS FAILING! Luv the Chub? Luv ALL the Chubs.
Amendment 6: RAY TORO IS THE DARK PRINCE OF JERSEY (effectively repealing Amendment 5).
Amendment 7: LOL STEVE
Amendment 8: I'D REPEAL SPENCER SMITH'S MOM... IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN >:D
Amendment 8a: RYAN ROSS IS DEAD TO ME.
- - TOTALLY NOT A SPENCER SMITH'S OPINION
Amendment 8b: *touches nose*
Amendment 9: Those who wish to know the secrets Patrick Stump-with-an-h keeps under his hat will be required to first run the gauntlet.
amendment 10 unless theyre pete
Amendment 11: GO TO BED, PETE.
Amendment 12: There will be no more being mean to Jon Walker, because we made him sad while holding a kitten okay and that is just quite enough for one lifetime. SADFACING JWALK IS TRAGIC AND CANNOT BE BORNE.
Amendment 13: BOB BRYAR IS AN ACTUALFAX SUPERB DRUMMER.Amendment 14: THERE IS NO DYING OF FLESHERS. WE WILL BRING THE FJORDS TO YOU; DO NOT PINE FOR THEM.
The comm devolved into a grudgewanky disaster that caused its fair share of bad blood. For example, that comm had a rule about not sharing the contents of friendslocked posts which sometimes mysteriously got overlooked if someone reallly wanted deets on something, and in several instances it did not go over so well and things spilled out into namespace.
- Mary's friend is a member of bandflesh.
- Someone says something mean about Mary on bandflesh.
- Mary's friend leaves bandflesh because it bothers Mary.
- Months pass.
- Mary posts her Big Bang fic, with art done by the friend who used to be a bandflesher.
- Mary and all of her other friends suddenly freak out on the friend who used to be a bandflesher, sure that she's the person who was being mean to them, even though there has been a long-standing friendship.
Mary apologized, but the incident had already inspired a lot of meta posts about anonymity, some of which were rounded up in a metafandom post on June 11, as well as criticism of the comm. For example, ficbyzee roundly condemned the community as a whole:
But dude, don't try to pass off your oh-so-wonderful tightknit community of beffies and love as harmless. I don't give a flying fuck what other stuff is included, it's still a big anonymous community that's used for talking shit about people and dogpiling. If you're going to participate in that, you'd better accept the fact that, yep, people might not think so highly of you. (Or you could bend over backwards to keep your involvement secret--one of the wonderful pros of anonymity!--and be even more of a piece of slime, but hey, free world.)
Multiple bandfleshers came out of the anonmeme closet to defend the community. From quettaser:
So, bandflesh. I've been a part of that community since before it existed, for well over a year now. And because of that history and the nature of the community (posts are never deleted and the history is well known to the users and is relatively searchable) there is a lot of context that is not obvious to passersby. And I want to stress that it is a community. Bandflesh has no purpose or agenda. It's merely a place to congregate for discussion and it is ultimately the people who use it that shape it's content.
So hey, I'm on bandflesh! There's been a lot of posts today on the subject, because we are nothing if not overinvested in our ridiculous comm, but I'd rather not spend a lot of time describing exactly why we aren't a hate meme, because really, I think you can all judge that one for yourselves.
On November 18/19, 2008, following wank (which wank?), someone obtained a password and deleted every post and comment to the outrage of all its denizens. According to an email sent to seperis, "Eighteen months, over 600,000 comments, deleted piece by piece while the members watched in real time unable to stop it." However, the comm itself was not deleted and was up and running the next day.
In November 2008, giddygeek wrote, "I know bandflesh meant a lot to you guys. It meant something to me too, mostly because many of you have formed very tight bonds of friendship, and I've gotten to enjoy your company and your jokes."
In mid 2009, there were complaints in namespace about the community allowing "anonymous attacks on explicitly-named people, on their stories, on their ideas, on them." Some of these attacks may have been spillover from the Bandom Trigger Warning Debate (2009), started by a Bandom Big Bang fic by arsenicjade in June 2009; arsenicjade became a regular target on bandflesh. See On bandom as a fannish community, or: what the hell, people? and On Being A Village Elder: An Essay On Community Responsibility.
- untitled livejournal post by ficbyzee (June 8, 2008)
- The place with the thing by quettaser (June 9, 2008)
- TRUE CONFESSIONS by kalpurna (June 10, 2008)
- That wank thing by narceus (June 9, 2008)
- Because I keep leaving basically the same comment everywhere. by giddygeek on livejournal (November 19, 2008)
- and the crappy week award goes to bandflesh (archived) by seperis on livejournal (November 19, 2008)
- bandflesh stuff, you can scroll by drunktuesdays (dreamwidth mirror of a livejournal post) (November 19, 2008)
- on bandom as a fannish community, or: what the hell, people? by kudra2324 on livejournal (July 6, 2009)
- 2013-09-25 comment
- Bandflesh - Fan History Wiki: The Fandom History Resource, Archived version
- The last post in bandflesh was on February 14, 2009; the first post on band_flesh was on the same day: NEW COMM OFFERS A FRESH START FOR BANDFLESH! BUT HOW LONG WILL THE HONEYMOON PERIOD LAST? A HARD-HITTING INVESTIGATIVE REPORT
- wayback machine link, archived May 18, 2011. The last post visible is dated Apr. 11th, 2010, and has only 932 comments, far short of the 5000-comment limit that was reached in all previous posts. It looks like the comm started slowing down in late 2009: posts were filling up every few days in October, but November had only two posts fill up, and December's post didn't fill up for two months.
- FFA comment, 2014-11-29.
- comment by quettaser, June 11, 2008
- wayback machine, 26 August 2008.
- Pete Wentz's dog
- 2015-04-30 comment thread
- 2015-09-10 comment
- Awake & unafraid (archived link), posted to livejournal 12 June 2008
- untitled livejournal post, archived, posted to livejournal June 8, 2008.
- The place with the thing, archived, posted to livejournal June 9, 2008
- TRUE CONFESSIONS, archived, posted to livejournal June 10, 2008.
- "Bandflesh was an anon community of ridiculousness, which got bashed at one point because sometimes the anon comments were negative, or whatever. Fairly mild so far as what you see in fandom, you know? But people got up in arms about it, which I can understand. What I can't understand is someone getting the passwords and going through and deleting EVERYTHING. 18 months, 600,000 comments, an entire community destroyed while the members watched and couldn't get in to fix it. It's pretty disgusting, so far as I'm concerned. *shakes head* You've just got to be sad for any community that had 100% of its history deleted because 1% of its comments hurt someone's feelings." -- comment by giddygeek in her post Because I keep leaving basically the same comment everywhere., , posted to livejournal November 20, 2008.
- wayback copy of bandflesh post dated 2008-11-20 21:39:00
- Because I keep leaving basically the same comment everywhere., , posted to livejournal November 19, 2008.
- on bandom as a fannish community, or: what the hell, people? by kudra2324 on livejournal, posted 2009-07-06. archived