Alice in Wonderland
|Name:||Alice in Wonderland|
|Date(s):||1865, 1871, plus various adaptations over the years.|
|Medium:||Novels, plus adaptations in various media over the years.|
|Country of Origin:||U.K.|
|Click here for related articles on Fanlore.|
Alice in Wonderland was originally two books by Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There, that were published in 1865 and 1871. The books were extremely popular and have been adapted for film, television, and theatrical productions many times. The well-known Disney animated film was released in 1951 and combined plot elements from both of the "Alice" books. A new live-action film directed by Tim Burton, intended for a more adult audience, was released in 2010.
Fanfiction about Alice has been around ever since the first book was published; however, the Tim Burton film caused a surge in fanfiction productivity.
Alice in Wonderland Book Fandom
Alice in Wonderland (2010) Film Fandom
The most common pairing is Tarrant Hightopp/Alice.
Alice in Wonderland (1951 Animated Film)
- When Curiosity Met Insanity, or WCMI, is a popular ongoing webcomic, begun in 2006 by co-creators Rain and Brianna Garcia (or "Bri-chan"). It details the courtship of an adult Alice by the Mad Hatter (who goes by the name "Reginald" in this universe) in a version of Wonderland that's populated by characters from every animated Disney movie to date. The personalities of Alice and Reginald were both partially inspired by observed interactions between the costumed characters at Disneyland (where Rain and Brianna both work). The main story features segments of writing (Rain's) interspersed among the artwork (Brianna's). WCMI has amassed a dedicated fanbase over the years, and has inspired quite a bit of fanart and fic. It's currently located on Tumblr, and has communities on both Livejournal and Facebook.
- Sunny Disposish, by Valadilenne, is a Hatter/Alice fic inspired by the WCMI webcomic. It too has attracted a small but dedicated group of fans, many of whom have produced fanart for the fic. As of this writing (October 2014), it's still a WIP, currently up to thirty chapters (not including a handful of side stories.)
Other Alice in Wonderland Adaptions
- See Alice (2009) for more fandom information.
Alice is a 2009 miniseries reimagining of the classic Alice stories taking place about 150 years later with a new Alice as the main character. It features many of the original characters from the books such as the Hatter, Queen of Hearts, Tweedledum and Tweedledee.
Once Upon a Time is a ABC TV series that features several characters based off the original books and often features the Wonderland universe. The Mad Hatter was a reoccurring character in Seasons 1 and 2. The Queen of Hearts is revealed to be Cora Mills, the Evil Queen's mother. A spin-off series, titled Once Upon a Time in Wonderland mainly focuses on Alice and also introduces the Knave of Hearts, White Rabbit, and Red Queen to the fandom. Various other Alice in Wonderland characters have appeared in both series.
- run on gasoline by HumanEvolutionMutant, a 21st century-insane-Alice-Liddell-story: Alice (portrayed by India Eisley) is mentally ill, she can't separate reality from fantasy and she has homicidal tendencies, so she is hospitalized. Mads Mikkelsen portrays her psychiatrist (and in Wonderland he is the Mad Hatter) and he is sort of helping her.
Fannish Archives & Communities
- Stories based on the book, based on the movie @ Fanfiction.net
- Stories based on the book, based on the movie @ Archive of Our Own
General Alice in Wonderland Sites:
- Alice in Wonderland Big Bang
- The Alice in Wonderland Porn Battle
- Knave of Hearts
- Queer Tales, a slash community for any Alice version
Burton's 2010 Alice in Wonderland Sites:
- Alice in Wonderland 2010 Fans
- Alice in wonderland kink meme
- Alice in Wonderland Challenge Community
- Hatter/Knave of Hearts Community
- Knave Fans
- Burton's Alice
- Stayne (Knave of Hearts)/Alice Community
- Lenny's Alice in Wonderland site - book focused resource site.