A Fannish Taxonomy of Hotness
|Title:||A Fannish Taxonomy of Hotness aka Hot! Hot! Hot!|
|Creator:||Clucking Belles aka Sandy and Rache|
|Music:||"Hot Hot Hot" by Buster Poindexter|
|URL:||on BAM Video Vault|
Click here for related articles on Fanlore.
A Fannish Taxonomy of Hotness (aka Hot! Hot! Hot) is a multifandom metavid by the Clucking Belles. It demonstrates a fannish way of seeing by cataloging many popular (and hot!) visual tropes of television and film: swords, hats, cigars, eyeglasses, black leather coats, tight black t-shirts, togas, etc. Movements are also catalogued: characters dance, swing from ropes, shove each other up against cars, etc.: all things fans love. Other montages focus on skin: the hero gratuitously taking off his shirt (or better yet his pants); the (often comic) episode featuring a main character naked in the bathtub. Crossdressing. Bondage. All of it: real hot!
The vid premiered at the 2005 "Club Vivid" show at Vividcon.
Discussions of "A Fannish Taxonomy of Hotness"
- Media Fetish: The Vidshow." Beyond Queer: The Spectacle of the Performing Body; Pride Event: Brown University, April 6, 2008. [Partial transcript.]
- Francesca Coppa, "A Fannish Taxonomy Of Hotness." Cinema Journal (v. 48, no. 4, Summer 2009, pp. 107-113)
- "I'd like to watch this one another thousand times. It has SO MUCH HOT, and it makes me want to dance around. I was very surprised to see the immortal EJO swimsuit scene there in the middle. They managed to cram in just about everybody."
- "Even though this vid is about so much more than just dancing, I always remember it as a dancing vid. It's certainly very dynamic."
- "*glee* I first saw this when it premiered during Club Vivid at Vividcon 2005, when it won over the entire room, in spades. The title sums up the entire vid -- this really is a fannish taxonomy of hotness, organized by theme, with each them leading seamlessly into the next (which is just so brilliantly done I can't even tell you). It has girls, and boys, and girls and boys, and girls and girls, and boys and boys. Some of the "hot" themes are what you'd expect -- shirtlessnes, nakedness, kissing, dancing -- and some will make you go "hee! yes!" because man, do we find more hot than just nakedness. It's just wonderful -- fun and happy and sexy and managing to be a big meta statement about all of us at the same time. *loves*"
- "This is a taxonomy of FANNISH kinks, but that includes plenty of kink-kinks as well. There's a whole section on whipping! And chains! And torture! Playfully takes those scenes out of their original context and makes an "ooooooh!" face at them."
- "It's brilliant and excellently put together and always puts me in a squeeful mood :o)"
- "Look! Shanghai Noon! And look! Methos shoving Duncan against the car is still one of the hottest things I have seen in my life - Peter Wingfield is so very, very pretty. And then - fencing and naked men and people in mental institutions and long black trenchcoats...! This vid reminds me of everything I love about fandom - and it's a lot to love! ♥"
- "The vids I found most accessible at the DIY conference were videos like A Fannish Taxonomy of Hotness, where you don’t have to be familiar with a particular show to understand them but you have to be familiar with TV and the clichés of the medium.
- VVC Review - Remembering Sandy, dated Sept. 2, 2011;WebCite.
- Dancing Vids, dated June 28, 2011;WebCite.
- Arduinna's Vid Recs.
- Kinky Vids I Have Known, Dec 13, 2009; WebCite.
- mecurtin: So, Your favorite *multi-fandom* vid dated Feb 19, 2009.
- And more vid recs! dated october 18, 2007;WebCite.
- Remixing Television: Francesca Coppa on the vidding underground dated August/September 2008;WebCite.