In SG-1 Fic
In SGA Fic
Because John Sheppard has a very strong expression of the gene, a lot of fic has the scientists calling on him to come and activate Ancient technology (sometimes this is referred to as "light switch duty," and Sheppard may be called a "human light switch") This was especially common in early John/Rodney fics, where authors needed more of a pretext to have the two interact. In later seasons, they are shown to be close friends as well as being on the same team, and thus the use of John's gene as a plot device has become less common. One genre of SGA fic posits that Sheppard's ATA gene is sufficiently "special" to make him closer to an Ancient than other carriers, or he is revealed to be a hidden or reincarnated Ancient.
In SGA/Harry Potter Crossover Fic
In this genre of crossover fiction, Potterverse witches and wizards are often depicted as possessing the ATA gene, or SGA characters are written as witches or wizards (for example, John Sheppard in Rokeon's Different Kinds of Magic). The 'messy hair' of James and Harry Potter is sometimes taken to refer to a familial connection with John Sheppard. A classic crossover fic is Isis's Clarke's Law.
- Wikipedia, Ancient technology in Stargate, (Accessed 16 October, 2008)
- An early example is in Domenika Marzione's novelization of "The Rising": "Sheppard flew him to the outpost three more times, staying twice to work the control chair and play light switch for the scientists" (Accessed 27 February 2009)
- SGA thematic list: John Sheppard as Ancient, Ori or Ascended (accessed 26 February 2009)
- Sentient!Atlantis story list (accessed 26 February 2009)
- A humorous treatment of Atlantis's sentient status: Don't Panic, by bibliotech.
- Foolproof And Incapable Of Error, by neery. Posted 30 March 2006. (Accessed 21 October 2008)
- Rokeon, Different Kinds of Magic, accessed 2009 February 27
- Isis, Clarke's Law, accessed 2009 February 27.